The Atlanta Braves Thread

Let’s not forget the genius of the JD Drew trade in all of this reminiscing
I can’t get mad about that one. I’m sure the Braves thought they would resign Drew to play close to home and they got a crazy good 8 WAR season out of him. Wainwright took another 3-4 years to become a major league starter.

We want every deal to turn out like the Fred McGriff trade but some of those prospects inevitably turn out to be Wainwright, Morton, Elvis Andrus, Jermaine Dye etc. It’s crazy what was coming through the Braves pipeline from the late 80s to early 2000s.

I can’t get mad about that one. I’m sure the Braves thought they would resign Drew to play close to home and they got a crazy good 8 WAR season out of him. Wainwright took another 3-4 years to become a major league starter.

We want every deal to turn out like the Fred McGriff trade but some of those prospects inevitably turn out to be Wainwright, Morton, Elvis Andrus, Jermaine Dye etc. It’s crazy what was coming through the Braves pipeline from the late 80s to early 2000s.
It's hard to get too mad when the player you acquired turns out to be what you wanted him to. Even if it is for a short time/rental. It's a hindsight thing. Everyone loved the deal for Tex when it was done, and loved it even more when he mashed for the time he was here, knowing that the Braves probably wouldn't re-sign him. It's just lazy armchair quarterbacking to say 3 years later "Man, why'd they trade Andrus and Feliz???"

Reactions: Volfan1000
It's hard to get too mad when the player you acquired turns out to be what you wanted him to. Even if it is for a short time/rental. It's a hindsight thing. Everyone loved the deal for Tex when it was done, and loved it even more when he mashed for the time he was here, knowing that the Braves probably wouldn't re-sign him. It's just lazy armchair quarterbacking to say 3 years later "Man, why'd they trade Andrus and Feliz???"
I may be wrong but there was significant optimism on resigning him

I may be wrong but there was significant optimism on resigning him
Maybe when he was first acquired, but the more he kept hitting I remember everyone coming around to saying "He's going to the Yankees" which is what eventually happened.

Of course, if we were good in 2008, maybe history is different.

Maybe when he was first acquired, but the more he kept hitting I remember everyone coming around to saying "He's going to the Yankees" which is what eventually happened.

Of course, if we were good in 2008, maybe history is different.
There was the whole Ga Tech, wife from Atlanta etc IIRC

At time of acquisition there was definitely optimism on resigning.

The Drew trade was a team coming off a 103 win season with a big hole in their OF and traded a pitching prospect. That usually works 75% in your favor. They had a WS caliber team. Can’t fault em.

Now the Tex trade is a different story….

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back