The Atlanta Braves Thread

10 pitching prospects in 11 picks is INSANE.

Hot take: I don’t mind the drafting philosophy.

The Braves like to draft very pliable prospects. They target two sport athletes, two way players and guys coming off of injury because they know these guys are open to be reworked to what they’re looking for.

With hitters, I assume they have found the guys that they have drafted in the past are less susceptible to change. Guys like Grissom and Shewmake moved through the organization while not completely buying into swing changes, so they were moved. This is why they have focused on hitters through the IFA. They sign extremely raw, young prospects that don’t have lasting bad habits and can be reworked.

They can clearly identify and rework pitchers more easily, so why not do it? Most organizations can’t. Arms can always be traded for bats.

They went batter heavy on day 3 btw

And even with their poor development of hitters, they still find guys like Drake Baldwin (two sport athlete; played hockey) that come out of nowhere and become legitimate top 100 prospects. Money Mike came out of nowhere to be a top 100 guy as well.

Hot take: I don’t mind the drafting philosophy.

The Braves like to draft very pliable prospects. They target two sport athletes, two way players and guys coming off of injury because they know these guys are open to be reworked to what they’re looking for.

With hitters, I assume they have found the guys that they have drafted in the past are less susceptible to change. Guys like Grissom and Shewmake moved through the organization while not completely buying into swing changes, so they were moved. This is why they have focused on hitters through the IFA. They sign extremely raw, young prospects that don’t have lasting bad habits and can be reworked.

They can clearly identify and rework pitchers more easily, so why not do it? Most organizations can’t. Arms can always be traded for bats.

They went batter heavy on day 3 btw
I'm still pissed that the Braves could not close the deal on Randy Johnson and Tom Seaver.

Me late March through early October: “Got to watch this stupid baseball team screw up some more. I hate sports.”

Wednesday, two days without Braves baseball: “I am going to die not having Braves baseball till Friday.”

VN Store

Back