The Atlanta Braves Thread

Another guy I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on: Gavin Sheets. Excellent walk rate (below 20% K rate), underperforming his metrics by a 22 points, has team control for a couple more years at 28. His defense blows and he can't hit lefties but a Sheets/Duvall platoon makes the team better.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Another guy I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on: Gavin Sheets. Excellent walk rate (below 20% K rate), underperforming his metrics by a 22 points, has team control for a couple more years at 28. His defense blows and he can't hit lefties but a Sheets/Duvall platoon makes the team better.
Hopefully we are aiming much higher.. but agreed. I wouldn’t mind giving Eli White a little run.

Hot take: I don’t mind the drafting philosophy.

The Braves like to draft very pliable prospects. They target two sport athletes, two way players and guys coming off of injury because they know these guys are open to be reworked to what they’re looking for.

With hitters, I assume they have found the guys that they have drafted in the past are less susceptible to change. Guys like Grissom and Shewmake moved through the organization while not completely buying into swing changes, so they were moved. This is why they have focused on hitters through the IFA. They sign extremely raw, young prospects that don’t have lasting bad habits and can be reworked.

They can clearly identify and rework pitchers more easily, so why not do it? Most organizations can’t. Arms can always be traded for bats.

They went batter heavy on day 3 btw

I don't have an actual problem with the philosophy especially since they have the majority of position players locked up. But none of the pitching prospects outside of Strider have hit. We are in year 7 of the AA regime and the only players that are regulars at the MLB level are Strider and Harris (and Langeliers who was traded). That's not a good track record at all.

I don't have an actual problem with the philosophy especially since they have the majority of position players locked up. But none of the pitching prospects outside of Strider have hit. We are in year 7 of the AA regime and the only players that are regulars at the MLB level are Strider and Harris (and Langeliers who was traded). That's not a good track record at all.
you don’t stop acquiring high end position players because the positions are locked

drafting pitchers with the first 10 out of 11 is dumb as hell lol

Especially with our track record

I think we are on the precipice of seeing a lot of guys come through as viable pitching options

you don’t stop acquiring high end position players because the positions are locked

drafting pitchers with the first 10 out of 11 is dumb as hell lol

Especially with our track record

It’s not dumb if you know you can identify and develop pitching more sufficiently than hitters.

They’ve taken several lottery tickets type hitters over the years and you have no idea who they are … for a reason.

VN Store

Back