The "Back In My Day" Thread

jspvol76

"Flip the Switch" - CBJ
The game of football is constantly evolving. So I decided to put a thread together for all of us that miss the good ole days. Air your grievances here, because the game is changing whether we like it or not. Here are a couple of mine.

"Keep your head on a swivel" is what we were taught whenever we stepped on the playing field. If you were blindsided by a block, it was your fault. Not this unecessary roughness or protect the quarterback stuff.

We were taught to put our nose where the ball was when making a tackle. That is obviously leading with your helmet. If the ball was up in the air on a pass, then you went up and attacked the offensive player. In today's game that is considered "launching". Football has nothing to do with NASA!

Post here and get it off your chest!

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Back in my day.... We fell on plastic grass that covered asphalt and it melted our cleats and burned our skin. And WE LIKED IT!

Reactions: 5 people
"Back In My Day" we were lucky to survive and be able to walk after playing with the equipment we had available.

Not to mention the lack of todays medical advancements.
But dang would do it all over again!!! VFL :crazy: :crazy:

Reactions: 1 person
During practice in August at 90 plus degrees, the coaches would say "water's for pu$$ies!"

Reactions: 3 people
When a player was bleeding, it wasn't an immediate quarantine and evacuation from the field. You just wiped it off on your shirt which let people know you had been playing, and playing hard.

Back in MY day: 1.) you only got to see one or two games on tv on a Saturday, with Keith Jackson then sometimes Chris Schenkel calling the games. 2.) every game was a must-see great matchup, a big event, because only the most important game of the weekend was broadcast. 3.) you got all your scores and highlights from around the country on the Gillette Post Game Show, not ESPN. 4.) teams ran the wishbone or the veer, not the west coast or spread. 5.) you woke up on Sunday morning to watch 'The Eddie Robinson Show' followed by 'The Ara Parseghian Show' followed by 'The Bill Battle Show' before 'The NFL Today on CBS'. 6.) there were only 17 bowl games, and the last 4 of them were all played on Jan 1st. 7.) nobody cared about recruiting all year long. 8.) QBs and RBs wore 'tear away jerseys'. 9.) a trip to Neyland Stadium with dad to see a live game was a special event to be respected and appreciated. 10.) college football wasn't just big business.

Wanna know the funny thing? I loved each and every one of those things just the way they were back then compared to now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 people
Back in my day, Fulmer would completely freak out during Florida week and we'd lose... But the rest of the season was pretty much a gimme.

Reactions: 5 people
Back in my day, I was too young to remember when Tennessee was a good football team.

Uniforms were uniforms, not some marketing or recruiting tool. We didn't care how we looked, just how we played. Each school had two colors, orange and white, black and gold, crimson and white, etc. Now everyone wants alternate colors from the jersey rainbow. Camouflage was for hunters and the military, now we have pro combat uniforms.

- I actually like the smokey gray uni's. :)

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back