The Blueprint to Beat Oregon

We need to play alot of zone to contain there speed. I don't think we have the athletes to match up in man defense especially on the corners.

We definitely need to get pressure on the QB and a few sacks.

this is a game where Croom needs to BOOM !!!! and North needs to rise to the top. Both should be able to beat the shorter DB's of Oregon.

The offensive line needs to bulldozer us down the field like their capable of.

Mccullars, find your tackling fuel son. I don't care what it takes, find it, use it and manhandle their offensive line like everything thinks you can do!!

SHOW US SON !!!!

Good lucks Vols, make us proud. :salute:

So does Stanford & Auburn!!!!

in the last 4 years oregon and stanford have split 2-2. when we lose its is by a breathless last second field goal. when we win we have crushed the trees like tin cans.

or auburn with scam newton and nick fairley the guy who at least 2 SEC coaches called a dirty player. espn saw a dominant SEC victory. i saw a game won on a last second field goal.

or boise st. the second game they head butted out starting quarterback and knocked him out of the game with a mild concussion. no foul called. you could try that maybe?

or would you care to talk about the 47 games the ducks won by more than 30 points in the last 4 years?

Reactions: 1 person
My blueprint for winning this game: 1)win the turnover battle. 2.)Keep their offense off the field. This would mean a ball control pound the rock scheme and if we are still in the game in the 4th quarter their D will be tired. I would try at least 1 onside kick. We know they can score in 2 or 3 plays so the risk/reward for an onside kick may not be as big against them as it would be a conventional offense. 3.)bend but not break on D. Holding them to FG's instead of TD's will be small victories for our D. 4.)Contain their QB. I would have our fastest LB spy Mariota.

in the last 4 years oregon and stanford have split 2-2. when we lose its is by a breathless last second field goal. when we win we have crushed the trees like tin cans.

or auburn with scam newton and nick fairley the guy who at least 2 SEC coaches called a dirty player. espn saw a dominant SEC victory. i saw a game won on a last second field goal.

or boise st. the second game they head butted out starting quarterback and knocked him out of the game with a mild concussion. no foul called. you could try that maybe?

or would you care to talk about the 47 games the ducks won by more than 30 points in the last 4 years?
just cannot bring yourself to reckon with how badly LSU crushed you through 3 quarters and 13 points can you? Ya'll were boys, they were men, you got 14 in garbage time the last quarter after being trounced. Duck and alligator mouths seem to be about the same these days, the last time LSU put it on you, what you really had were hummingbird donkeys. We'll see what shows up Saturday ... best believe that!

My blueprint for winning this game: 1)win the turnover battle. 2.)Keep their offense off the field. This would mean a ball control pound the rock scheme and if we are still in the game in the 4th quarter their D will be tired. I would try at least 1 onside kick. We know they can score in 2 or 3 plays so the risk/reward for an onside kick may not be as big against them as it would be a conventional offense. 3.)bend but not break on D. Holding them to FG's instead of TD's will be small victories for our D. 4.)Contain their QB. I would have our fastest LB spy Mariota.

in the last 2 games oregons opponents have won the time of possession battle by a margin of roughly 2/1(tennessee is at least marginally better than VA and vastly superior to that other team imho). if i am not mistaken oregon was DEAD LAST in time of possession at one point last season.

your wish #2 will almost certainly be granted.

just cannot bring yourself to reckon with how badly LSU crushed you through 3 quarters and 13 points can you? Ya'll were boys, they were men, you got 14 in garbage time the last quarter after being trounced. Duck and alligator mouths seem to be about the same these days, the last time LSU put it on you, what you really had were hummingbird donkeys. We'll see what shows up Saturday ... best believe that!

That "domination" was almost completely due to turnovers, not some physical manhandling like you are suggesting. LSU averaged a whopping .2 yard per carry more than Oregon. And the TO's weren't the result of some insanely hard hits that caught Oregon by surprise. One was an incredibly stupid play by Oregon's return man and two more were Thomas being a freshman and not holding the ball tight.

LSU was the better team that night, but it definitely wasn't a physical domination.

In reference to the article in the OP. I would also add the pressuring the QB is general part of the plan to beat any halfway decent team, let alone Oregon

Last edited:
Thought provoking, true but giving a false impression, rushing stats:

So far this year rushing.....

Marcus Mariota is averaging 26.1 yards per carry, and scoring a touchdown every 3 rushes.
(That is not a typo, he really is averaging 26.1 yards a rush.)

Thomas numbers are 8.7 ypc and 5.8 rptd (Rushes Per TouchDown)

Lyerla 5.7 ypc and 3 rptd
(We use Lyerla as a power back, 6 foot 4, 240 lbs of athleticism)

Thomas Tyner 12.8 ypc and 2 rptd
(Tyner is the highest rated player out of high school that Oregon has ever recruited, when he gets his full adult muscle, look out!)

Are those shocking numbers or what?

Thought provoking, true but giving a false impression, rushing stats:

So far this year rushing.....

Marcus Mariota is averaging 26.1 yards per carry, and scoring a touchdown every 3 rushes.
(That is not a typo, he really is averaging 26.1 yards a rush.)

Thomas numbers are 8.7 ypc and 5.8 rptd (Rushes Per TouchDown)

Lyerla 5.7 ypc and 3 rptd
(We use Lyerla as a power back, 6 foot 4, 240 lbs of athleticism)

Thomas Tyner 12.8 ypc and 2 rptd
(Tyner is the highest rated player out of high school that Oregon has ever recruited, when he gets his full adult muscle, look out!)

Are those shocking numbers or what?

If it was against a team with a pulse then yes.

That "domination" was almost completely due to turnovers, not some physical manhandling like you are suggesting. LSU averaged a whopping .2 yard per carry more than Oregon. And the TO's weren't the result of some insanely hard hits that caught Oregon by surprise. One was an incredibly stupid play by Oregon's return man and two more were Thomas being a freshman and not holding the ball tight.

LSU was the better team that night, but it definitely wasn't a physical domination.

In reference to the article in the OP. I would also add the pressuring the QB is general part of the plan to beat any halfway decent team, let alone Oregon

remy seems to be implying that the only teams that are any good are the ones that havent lost a game however he has yet to name one of those.

Several good old fashioned Slobber Knockers can do wonders for our underdog Vols. I've seen it work for many years.
Go Vols

In watching college football for the last 40+ years, I've learned that great playmakers can indeed be knocked out of the game with a real ferocious hit....lay the wood to the Duck's and put em on the bench.

In watching college football for the last 40+ years, I've learned that great playmakers can indeed be knocked out of the game with a real ferocious hit....lay the wood to the Duck's and put em on the bench.

NEXT MAN UP

(of course they didnt call a penalty on you did they?...wasnt someone in here bragging before about how few penalties tennessee gets?)

VN Store

Back