The Gardening Thread

Ok, so I think I'm in denial. I'm about to go scratch test my loropetalum. Only a few have a pink flower or two and some purple buds. I may be making an expensive trip to the nursery after church. That winter sucked.

I would replace them with something else, but I have a nice alternating color and height pattern along the back of the pool with Arborvitae and loropet that had almost reached my goal (tall thin tree/rounded purple bush/tree/bush/etc) for privacy. I had seen the idea online when planning my landscaping. This will set me back two years on growth.

Ok, so I think I'm in denial. I'm about to go scratch test my loropetalum. Only a few have a pink flower or two and some purple buds. I may be making an expensive trip to the nursery after church. That winter sucked.

I would replace them with something else, but I have a nice alternating color and height pattern along the back of the pool with Arborvitae and loropet that had almost reached my goal (tall thin tree/rounded purple bush/tree/bush/etc) for privacy. I had seen the idea online when planning my landscaping. This will set me back two years on growth.
I have a forest pansy redbud that is on the struggle bus.

Same for the fringe plants, Lorapetulam's are struggling. I trimmed all dead growth back, and am seeing new growth from the plant, both on stem and from roots. Not what I'd imagined when planting them 3 years ago. They are much more desirable than these golden Euoyanamus (Sp?). Ugh.

On a separate note. Are Red Blackberries, Black Raspberries, or are Black Raspberries, Red Blackberries?

I have a forest pansy redbud that is on the struggle bus.

Same for the fringe plants, Lorapetulam's are struggling. I trimmed all dead growth back, and am seeing new growth from the plant, both on stem and from roots. Not what I'd imagined when planting them 3 years ago. They are much more desirable than these golden Euoyanamus (Sp?). Ugh.

On a separate note. Are Red Blackberries, Black Raspberries, or are Black Raspberries, Red Blackberries?
Where are you? Is the redbud fairly old? They are short lived. Supposed to be hardy in zone 5.
There is one across the street (Nashville), and it looks great. Still purple but seems to be fading a little.

Where are you? Is the redbud fairly old? They are short lived. Supposed to be hardy in zone 5.
There is one across the street (Nashville), and it looks great. Still purple but seems to be fading a little.
Johnson City. Oue Easterns are native.

This is a purple, prob a variant. And it was planted last year.

Reactions: Go aeiou
What's best for keeping chipmunks outta my veggie and herb pots? Garlic cloves?
As a rule, I always used a few moth balls or even a lot of moth balls, just depends on the situation. Nothing likes to be around moth bald and they are water soluble.
I miss digging a hole and not even having to fill it up …lol

I saw the link to Renaissance Farms on my Google search. Trying to remember if I've ever ordered from them before, but I'll give them a try, thanks.

I'm honestly not sure if I ever knew that WFF carried vegetables! I wonder if that's new. I've always drooled over their ornamentals; even visited there once 15-20 years ago. Alas, they can't ship this one to NC (state regulations.)

Whew, at this rate, it'll be well into June before I get everything in the ground!

THat'll be fine. You can just order seed. With the cool temps it won't be terrible behind and in the pot the soil will warm quick enough nidoors and move out when it sprouts. You'll just have one tomato produce alittle longer.

Reactions: VolNExile
For all us cool weather gardeners on the plateaus and in the hills waiting on the warmth, this is my step sons South GA garden at the moment. He's been in 85 degree weather for a good 6 weeks now. He's a no till hands off gardener. Burns his weeds off, lays down his plastic, runs his drip irrigation down his rows with a timer. Pokes holes to drop his plants. Waits. THe boys are waiting on sweet peppers to ripen. THey eat them raw like apples. Cukes and Squash are already harvesting.
1.jpg

For all us cool weather gardeners on the plateaus and in the hills waiting on the warmth, this is my step sons South GA garden at the moment. He's been in 85 degree weather for a good 6 weeks now. He's a no till hands off gardener. Burns his weeds off, lays down his plastic, runs his drip irrigation down his rows with a timer. Pokes holes to drop his plants. Waits. THe boys are waiting on sweet peppers to ripen. THey eat them raw like apples. Cukes and Squash are already harvesting.
View attachment 549410
Amazing all the differences in “the South.”

Amazing all the differences in “the South.”

He's supposed to be in the area mid to late may for work maybe. Or just heading up. Has tons of material to put in a drip irrigation on my rows. Said he was going to bring everything. But, yeah, they're down just outside Valdosta so they get warmed up and miserable fairly early in the season.

Reactions: VolNExile
He's supposed to be in the area mid to late may for work maybe. Or just heading up. Has tons of material to put in a drip irrigation on my rows. Said he was going to bring everything. But, yeah, they're down just outside Valdosta so they get warmed up and miserable fairly early in the season.
A few notable football coaches have served for a time at Valdosta State.

I was going to install sod in a ~100 ft square of my yard, but my wife bought a sizable bag of seed, more than what’s needed to over seed another area. Yesterday, I tilled up the bare area and seeded it. Wish me luck.

Does anyone her have an Australian Bottlebrush tree?
How do the do with other plants?

IMG_1497.jpeg
Divided these guys in 2014, when my Mom moved away. They'd been given to her by her Dad, my Grandad - 20 years preceding. I'm not much for sentimentality but, my girls helped me plant these. We divided enough and gave to all my brothers and sisters.

Its a great way to remember relatives, and to share their memories with those who never knew them. 'Pop' was a character. His thumbs were green. Had great memories growing up building forts in his Magnolia tree, and, helping him in the garden.

Maybe Berberis? Would be deciduous but would pull through winters without fail. Compact smoke tree hybrids and the Black Lace Elderberry could be used in a similar role.

Maybe Berberis? Would be deciduous but would pull through winters without fail. Compact smoke tree hybrids and the Black Lace Elderberry could be used in a similar role.
Berberis thunbergii, there a few colors available. The dark red/purples look nice when shaped.

transplanted a red tip Photinia Saturday.

Seems to need wilting. Watered the heck out of it.

any suggestions?

VN Store

Back