The Keys to Beating WKU

Aday25

Nerf This!
I'm watching the WKU vs UK game and seems to me the key to WKU's offense is the run game. They have two decent running backs- but Antonio Andrew #5 is the stud, who can carry the ball and can contribute in the passing game. He's a all purpose sort of player. The success WKU had in the passing game was often off of play action. When they did pass they tended to target the TEs and short intermediate passes.

As far as the WR position they have one WR that could be a deep threat but he seems to have issues actually catching the football. In the first half he had three drops- one that would have been a huge play and a potential TD.

Also turnovers could play a big role. WKU had problems with fumbles.

Our offense should be able to run on WKU's defense at will. All we need Worley to be is a game manager. UK QB had success running the football so look for more of the same from our offense.

What do you guys think are the keys to this game?

Reactions: 3 people
Upsets happen when teams with better offensive and defensive lines come out flat. If our offensive line comes out and just leans on WKU's defense we'll be in trouble. Same thing for our defensive line. They better come out playing nasty. WKU just beat an SEC team and you better believe they think they can beat us. As everyone knows, the game is won in the trenches.

Reactions: 7 people
Upsets happen when teams with better offensive and defensive lines come out flat. If our offensive line comes out and just leans on WKU's defense we'll be in trouble. Same thing for our defensive line. They better come out playing nasty. WKU just beat an SEC team and you better believe they think they can beat us. As everyone knows, the game is won in the trenches.

you are 100% right.

Contain Andrews, Allen and Simpson as well as disrupt the timming of their passing game. After seeing Peterman play, we must protect Worley and make sure he doesn't get injured, because the difference in Worley and Peterman was huge. Creating some turnovers and keeping our fans in the game will be of great advantage.

Oh, I forgot, keeping our second team offense/defense off the field will help tremendously.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm feeling Cincinnati 2011 or California 2006 this weekend. A team we build up in the lead up to the game, and then we blow the doors off of them and have a rollicking good time doing it.

WKU is slow. We have better athletes at most positions. They will play hard, but we win by 2 or more TDs.

Keys to beating WKU:

1) hope that it is WKU and not Bama that shows up

2) hope that it is WKU and not Oregon that shows up

3) hope the Sal Sunseri isn't within 700 miles of our defense

Seriously, it's Western Kentucky. If we lose to them Butch Jones isn't our guy. But fortunately for us, he is, so no worries.

We just need to score more points! JMHO

nicholas-cage-you-dont-say.gif

Reactions: 2 people
We just need to score more points! JMHO

Or hold them to less points!

Honestly though, I agree with the OP. We need our run game to dominate this game from the onset. If we don't move the chains and generate some first downs and points early in the game I think this could be a much closer game than we'd like. I think we have the overall talent to blow out WKU if we come out playing SEC level football from the first snap.

They gave up 216 yards to UK on the ground. We should have no issue running up and down the field with them with our O-line and Lane/Neal combo.

They ran 216 yards on UK compared to our 315 yards rushing on AP (considering we had backup offense in their the 2nd half that is still a huge number).

We only allowed 79 yards rushing to AP. Now obviously WKU is a much better run team than AP but we should be fine. :good!:

the only way we can lose this game is if we are vastly out coached which would just make me want to cry about our future

They gave up 216 yards to UK on the ground. We should have no issue running up and down the field with them with our O-line and Lane/Neal combo.

They ran 216 yards on UK compared to our 315 yards rushing on AP (considering we had backup offense in their the 2nd half that is still a huge number).

We only allowed 79 yards rushing to AP. Now obviously WKU is a much better run team than AP but we should be fine. :good!:

Now imagine if the first and second teams got more playing time together, it would have been more along the lines of 40-50 yards. We're gonna see more playing time this game for those two groups and we will take this thing over. It's gonna get ugly for WKU.

1.) D-Line and O-line needs a constant push up front
2.) Pace. Play really fast and be relentless with the pace
3.) Effort. 11 hats to the ball defense and receivers down field blocking on offense
4.) Discipline game
5.) Coaching we will so who makes the best call( I have faith Butch will)

Burn lot's of sage and keep the Gost of Sal and Dooley as far away as possible

Not sure Kentucky qualifies as an SEC team

Keys to beating WKU:

1) hope that it is WKU and not Bama that shows up

2) hope that it is WKU and not Oregon that shows up

3) hope the Sal Sunseri isn't within 700 miles of our defense

Seriously, it's Western Kentucky. If we lose to them Butch Jones isn't our guy. But fortunately for us, he is, so no worries.

"Seriously, it's Western Kentucky." That's what people kept saying about Vanderbilt last year and look what happened. So enter the game with a nasty 'tude, kind of, "What'd you call my Momma, boy!?!", attitude.

Or hold them to less points!

Honestly though, I agree with the OP. We need our run game to dominate this game from the onset. If we don't move the chains and generate some first downs and points early in the game I think this could be a much closer game than we'd like. I think we have the overall talent to blow out WKU if we come out playing SEC level football from the first snap.

Oh I agree, I was just being sarcastic. We definitely don't want them hanging around a while and believing in a win.

The key to beating WKU will be based on how effective Hood and McCullers play.

WKU's run game hinges on how effective Sean Conway (C) can release to the second level. If he is allowed to get clean blocks on A.J., that will not be good. Hood will need to line up in the true nose tackle position and contain Conway. We can't expect Hood to be a true two-gap NT, so his responsibility should be one A gap, and A.J. will have to cover the other (A gap).

The real difference maker is McCullers. He is matched against RS FR Forrest Lame (6' 2", 296 lbs). McCullers will have to penetrate hard (from the technique 3) and push Lame into the backfield (on rushing and passing plays). His objectives should be to destroy the run game in the backfield or force Doughty to get rid of the football within 3 seconds.

If we stop the power up the middle and force the WKU RBs to go lateral, we will win the speed matchup.

The key to beating WKU will be based on how effective Hood and McCullers play.

WKU's run game hinges on how effective Sean Conway (C) can release to the second level. If he is allowed to get clean blocks on A.J., that will not be good. Hood will need to line up in the true nose tackle position and contain Conway. We can't expect Hood to be a true two-gap NT, so his responsibility should be one A gap, and A.J. will have to cover the other (A gap).

The real difference maker is McCullers. He is matched against RS FR Forrest Lame (6' 2", 296 lbs). McCullers will have to penetrate hard (from the technique 3) and push Lame into the backfield (on rushing and passing plays). His objectives should be to destroy the run game in the backfield or force Doughty to get rid of the football within 3 seconds.

If we stop the power up the middle and force the WKU RBs to go lateral, we will win the speed matchup.

So where do you line up in the technique three>

I'm watching the WKU vs UK game and seems to me the key to WKU's offense is the run game. They have two decent running backs- but Antonio Andrew #5 is the stud, who can carry the ball and can contribute in the passing game. He's a all purpose sort of player. The success WKU had in the passing game was often off of play action. When they did pass they tended to target the TEs and short intermediate passes.

As far as the WR position they have one WR that could be a deep threat but he seems to have issues actually catching the football. In the first half he had three drops- one that would have been a huge play and a potential TD.

Also turnovers could play a big role. WKU had problems with fumbles.

Our offense should be able to run on WKU's defense at will. All we need Worley to be is a game manager. UK QB had success running the football so look for more of the same from our offense.

What do you guys think are the keys to this game?

I'm not saying UT won't run on WKU at will but UK had 216 yards rushing and 132 came on 3 plays. Take those 3 out and they had 84 yards on 29 carries. Western did a great job stopping the run other than giving up 3 big plays. I understand that's part of the game but they stacked the box a lot and dared UK to throw it and if UK could get through the first level they had a lot of green. I can see WKU starting off similarly against UT to see if Worley can beat them. UT will have to make some plays in the passing game to keep them honest.

VN Store

Back