The National Debt ($35 trillion). The Federal Budget Deficit.

The fun starts when Congress tries to “fix” SS in the 11th hour. Hope everyone is very well lubricated when that happens.

What's the alternative to SS? Without forcing people to save a bit for retirement, it will create perhaps a greater cost to society than SS does. I think a plan that involves providing people with food and housing but not cash might be effective.

What's the alternative to SS? Without forcing people to save a bit for retirement, it will create perhaps a greater cost to society than SS does. I think a plan that involves providing people with food and housing but not cash might be effective.
lol nope. we provide plenty of people with food and housing and it doesn't help. Its pretty dang clear that giving people stuff, money, food, housing, doesn't actually help them, and doesn't end poverty.

if you still want to steal from people smart enough to save for retirement, and provide retirement funds for the people too dumb to save for their own, just swap out the SS Pyramid scheme with mandatory 401ks. the 401ks are privately held by the individual, no government access to the accounts themselves. but take the current SS tax rates and split them. your 6.6% goes into your 401k, your employers 6.6% contribution goes to the general pot. and just like SS works now, all of that is pretax money.

allow the current amounts of pretaxable 401k, and other, contributions to stay at the same level.

everyone would have more money for retirement, but the above will never happen because it takes away control from the government. which will never be allowed. Just like any pyramid scheme, SS is not designed to help the victims, but only to help the ones running it.

lol nope. we provide plenty of people with food and housing and it doesn't help. Its pretty dang clear that giving people stuff, money, food, housing, doesn't actually help them, and doesn't end poverty.

if you still want to steal from people smart enough to save for retirement, and provide retirement funds for the people too dumb to save for their own, just swap out the SS Pyramid scheme with mandatory 401ks. the 401ks are privately held by the individual, no government access to the accounts themselves. but take the current SS tax rates and split them. your 6.6% goes into your 401k, your employers 6.6% contribution goes to the general pot. and just like SS works now, all of that is pretax money.

allow the current amounts of pretaxable 401k, and other, contributions to stay at the same level.

everyone would have more money for retirement, but the above will never happen because it takes away control from the government. which will never be allowed. Just like any pyramid scheme, SS is not designed to help the victims, but only to help the ones running it.
I meant to include a part about having ss be convertible to a us bond fund for those who'd could support an independent lifestyle with ss and their other savings they'd amassed. Unfortunately, many people in the country have worked their adult lives but not built any savings, and ss alone may not be enough for them.

Helping the helpless isn't about ending poverty. I dont think that's possible. It's about providing them with minimal support with the hope they'll take advantage of it and make something of themselves. Many people are completely defeated by this world, though, and I think it's more about providing support for them. That's probably a different topic than ss.

I meant to include a part about having ss be convertible to a us bond fund for those who'd could support an independent lifestyle with ss and their other savings they'd amassed. Unfortunately, many people in the country have worked their adult lives but not built any savings, and ss alone may not be enough for them.

Helping the helpless isn't about ending poverty. I dont think that's possible. It's about providing them with minimal support with the hope they'll take advantage of it and make something of themselves. Many people are completely defeated by this world, though, and I think it's more about providing support for them. That's probably a different topic than ss.
as long as you incentivize not taking care of yourself, people will continue to not take care of themselves. you can't give them free stuff and expect them to pull themselves up with someone else's bootstraps. they are just going to sit there and continue to be lazy. its why generational welfare is a thing.

as long as there is a golden parachute at the end, why would these people prioritize saving vs buying a 150k truck to sit outside their 50k trailer home?

beyond it not working for those in "need", you have the fact that it squeezes out more and more people from the middle class. SS, and any welfare, doesn't lift people out of poverty into a "lower" yet alone "middle" class. But SS, and other welfare taxes, certainly squeeze people who are "lower" and "lower middle" class into a worse financial state. and just by percentages that is going to push some down into poverty where they need welfare.

Reactions: tbh
The biggest “cost controls” will be when the .gov slashes doctor’s salaries and “negotiates” prescription drug prices down. Tax rates will be exorbitant for those of us that actually pay federal income tax. This coming from liberal policy wonk professors and Bernie Sanders should make anyone question their rosy scenario.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
The biggest “cost controls” will be when the .gov slashes doctor’s salaries and “negotiates” prescription drug prices down. Tax rates will be exorbitant for those of us that actually pay federal income tax. This coming from liberal policy wonk professors and Bernie Sanders should make anyone question their rosy scenario.

Healthcare reform should begin with getting insurance costs down for physicians and creating legislation that cuts ambulance chasing lawyers pursuing frivolous lawsuits out of the equation.

VN Store

Back