The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

1. Natty in any of the big 3 men's sports.
2. CFB playoffs.
3. FF
4. Baseball postseason.
5. Football 10 win season.
6. Win over Bama or Uga in the reg season

Pretty solid...I'd probably change 5 to SEC Championship in Football...but honestly for us with current landscape a 10 win season may also accomplish that.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
I agree. Tbh if I had a choice between our football team beating Bama next year or our baseball team winning a Natty I would 100% choose a win over Bama. If I had a choice between our basketball team getting to the E8 over a baseball Natty I would also choose the E8.

Basketball getting a Final Four over a baseball NC I can probably go along with. But a regular season win over Alabama in football....nah. Getting to the CFP over a national title....also can go along with.

I used to love UT Football.

But I’ve been relatively checked out since that circus coaching search that gave us Pruitt.

Even now that things look to be heading in the right direction, I’ll be surprised if I even watch half the football games this year.

I can’t really place why. I think it’s just a culmination of a lot of things.

This is me. I'll admit Heupel is giving me hope but I'm not there yet. I've grown rather cyncial about football, and I've gotten excited about where Jones had us so I'm going to be in a wait and see for a good while. And there is a part of me that thinks I'll never seen the UT from the 90s again on the gridiron. I mean we're getting close to 25 years since our National Title which was also our last SEC Championship.

I'll watch all the games, but I don't get upset really when we lose. I get way more upset at basketball losses now.

Very thought provoking conversation.

I would put a win over a typical Bama team right between a final 8/final 4 win in basketball. I think a baseball natty would be somewhere near a win over Kentucky in football or a win in the first round of the NCAA tourney in basketball, in my book.

I have never been to a baseball game at UT, but I have watched them on TV. I'm excited for them, but that is just not my sport any more. If I was actively playing softball, I guess I would get into it more.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

In terms of value to Tennessee as a school/overall Athletics Department...

Football National Title > Basketball National Title > Four-team CFP appearance > Final Four Appearance > Baseball National Title > College World Series Appearance

I would personally put a baseball national title right behind basketball in terms of desire, but football runs everything in Knoxville and basketball moves the needle more nationally than baseball.

Very thought provoking conversation.

I would put a win over a typical Bama team right between a final 8/final 4 win in basketball. I think a baseball natty would be somewhere near a win over Kentucky in football or a win in the first round of the NCAA tourney in basketball, in my book.

I have never been to a baseball game at UT, but I have watched them on TV. I'm excited for them, but that is just not my sport any more. If I was actively playing softball, I guess I would get into it more.

I’m sorry, no offense, but that’s just stupid. A national championship in one of the big 3 sports the equivalent of a football win over Kentucky?? A team we beat literally every season??? Give me a break…

I’m sorry, no offense, but that’s just stupid. A national championship in one of the big 3 sports the equivalent of a football win over Kentucky?? A team we beat literally every season??? Give me a break…
A baseball natty would be cool, I won’t lie. I’ll celebrate it. Definitely more than I do a win over Kentucky in football. I expect to beat Kentucky in football.

I Agree. A lady Vols basketball title is equivalent to a football win over UT Martin.

Actually a lady Vols basketball title is equivalent to a football practice

For me
Basketball champ > football champ > F4 > lady Vols champ > football conference champ > basketball conference champ > baseball champ > lady Vols conference champ > baseball conference champ > various regular season wins

It may seem contradictory to have basketball natty above football natty but then have the conference nattys switched but conference titles in football just seem more signfigant for me, maybe because in most cases you have to win it to win the natty (and we’ve also won the conference in basketball a lot more recently but never won a natty)

1. Basketball National Championship
2. Football Natty
3. Baseball Natty
4. Basketball Final 4
5. Football CFPlayoff
6. Football SEC Championship (just because it's been as long as the Natty)
7. Baseball to Omaha
8. Any SEC basketball title (would have been Tourney, but we finally won it, again)
9. Any SEC baseball championship
10. Elite 8, we only got one

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
I Agree. A lady Vols basketball title is equivalent to a football win over UT Martin.

Actually a lady Vols basketball title is equivalent to a football practice

I'm not quite at this level but Women's basketball and softball are pretty much after the other 3 (basketball, football, baseball). I would like to see a softball championship since we got close once in my lifetime. But women's basketball....I mean I root for them and all but losing doesn't really upset me that much.

And I probably still have some resentment from back in the 90s until Pearl showed up because it seemed like your average Vol fan only liked Vols football and women's basketball (at least the perception was that way). Even baseball under Delmonico was usually pretty good and didn't seem to get that much support, though I'll grant you the sport has greatly benefitted from expanded coverage on the ESPN networks and especially the SEC Network.

I'm not quite at this level but Women's basketball and softball are pretty much after the other 3 (basketball, football, baseball). I would like to see a softball championship since we got close once in my lifetime. But women's basketball....I mean I root for them and all but losing doesn't really upset me that much.

And I probably still have some resentment from back in the 90s until Pearl showed up because it seemed like your average Vol fan only liked Vols football and women's basketball (at least the perception was that way). Even baseball under Delmonico was usually pretty good and didn't seem to get that much support, though I'll grant you the sport has greatly benefitted from expanded coverage on the ESPN networks and especially the SEC Network.
I've only been following UT sports since '06, but I always thought fans were disproportionately apathetic toward mens basketball all the way through the Pearl era. I think there's been a legitimate shift since the '19 season. Sure, there was a relative spike during the Pearl years, but still the average Vol fan was drooling over GoVolsXtra football practice reports and asking if a certain bball player could play football after watching their first bball game in the month of Februrary.

On the flip side, I actually think that UT bball is now getting its dues. People in Knoxville are talking, the average fan watches games, and way more people just seem to give a sh!t now. I was in NYC a couple weeks ago, and a local asked where I was from. I said Knoxville, TN, and he was like, "oh yeah, University of Tennessee! They have a really good basketball team!" I kid you not, I teared up a little.

I was trying to think of another team. Maybe Auburn/LSU...but Kentucky has been a challenge for a few years now, and they are in our division. We have won most of the time, but we have not always been favored.

I'm sorry. At this time, there is no way I would get as excited as I would if we beat Georgia or Florida. My heart just about beats out of my chest when we beat them. I might pump my fist in the air, and exclaim, "Yes!" if we win, but I just don't think the baseball team is going to get me THAT level of excited.

We will see (if we are lucky). Who knows, maybe I will get more excited than I think.

I was trying to think of another team. Maybe Auburn/LSU...but Kentucky has been a challenge for a few years now, and they are in our division. We have won most of the time, but we have not always been favored.

I'm sorry. At this time, there is no way I would get as excited as I would if we beat Georgia or Florida. My heart just about beats out of my chest when we beat them. I might pump my fist in the air, and exclaim, "Yes!" if we win, but I just don't think the baseball team is going to get me THAT level of excited.

We will see (if we are lucky). Who knows, maybe I will get more excited than I think.

This is going to sound really weird considering we've beaten Florida 4 times since 2000 and 1 time since 2004 but I honestly don't think I'll get that excited if we beat Florida, more like relieved. And that's because they are also not the Florida of old. I really didn't get that excited when we beat them in 2016. The only reason they are in the same category as Georgia and Alabama is because we can never beat them. They have been replaced with Georgia and I don't think it's going back anytime soon.

I've only been following UT sports since '06, but I always thought fans were disproportionately apathetic toward mens basketball all the way through the Pearl era. I think there's been a legitimate shift since the '19 season. Sure, there was a relative spike during the Pearl years, but still the average Vol fan was drooling over GoVolsXtra football practice reports and asking if a certain bball player could play football after watching their first bball game in the month of Februrary.

On the flip side, I actually think that UT bball is now getting its dues. People in Knoxville are talking, the average fan watches games, and way more people just seem to give a sh!t now. I was in NYC a couple weeks ago, and a local asked where I was from. I said Knoxville, TN, and he was like, "oh yeah, University of Tennessee! They have a really good basketball team!" I kid you not, I teared up a little.

Overall I agree with you. I think Pearl made TBA an intimidating place to play because he got fans to show up, but the overall public perception was IMO that men's basketball was still a bit "red headed stepchild". I think a big reason was he showed up when Fulmer was still here and while the football program had started to slide, it was still close enough to glory that people believed we were a recruiting class away from playing for another NC. And that wasn't just orange colored glasses talk, I think nationally UT was still relevant, at least from a talking head perspective.

IMO if you could take the Pearl years and move them from starting in 2005 to starting in say 2012, I think it would have made a bigger shift. By 2012 we were 4 years into the football wilderness and had freakin' Dooley. If Pearl had come in when football was that low and made the same splash it would have likely been a momumental shift; especially if he's there with a Butch Jones/Jeremy Pruitt type personality running football.

But yes I remember during those days reading posts when Tennessee was playing in the SECT or NCAAT and people more people were talking about trying to catch an open spring practice rather than watching a tournament game.

In terms of value to Tennessee as a school/overall Athletics Department...

Football National Title > Basketball National Title > Four-team CFP appearance > Final Four Appearance > Baseball National Title > College World Series Appearance

I would personally put a baseball national title right behind basketball in terms of desire, but football runs everything in Knoxville and basketball moves the needle more nationally than baseball.

Id rather see a basketball title than football just because I’ve seen a football title

Also want to add in defense of the "circus" type antics Pearl did, I think he knew he had to do those to get attention. Winning alone didn't move the needle enough then, it had to come with some showmanship. I think he was also probably mostly sincere with the antics (body paint at Lady Vols' games, showing up to football games, passing out pizza to students, etc.), but it was also necessary marketing. From that standpoint I think the fanbase has mostly matured past it to now we just want to win (I stress mostly, yes I know trolls come out when we lose).

Also fair or not, the time frame from Martin to Barnes' second year set what Pearl had accomplished back from a fan/national perspective. I have no way of knowing but I wonder what would have happened if we had say gone straight from Pearl to Barnes. I'm not saying we just went along winning but it's still a nice thought experiment.

Tennessee Fund - New Lindsey Nelson Stadium

Can anyone give insight on what the cost is for MVP season tickets and just standard season tickets? Both show sold out right now but no price info given other than the deposit to hold. Looking for 4 tickets. Thinking of going one of those routes or the 4 topp.

MVP tickets were, according to this link, $1,500/seat. I'm assuming that price is going to go up a fair bit given the renovations.

Reactions: Volfanatic_20
Id rather see a basketball title than football just because I’ve seen a football title

Yep. Also because, objectively, in the near term we're more likely to win a basketball natty than a football natty. Not a knock on Heupel, I'm cautiously optimistic about football, just the way things are. We've had at least 2 and arguably 3 or 4 teams in the last 15 years of basketball that had enough talent to win it all - when was the last time we could say that about football?

VN Store

Back