The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Originally I thought this too...but then I sat on it a bit longer. The grind of baseball I think just adds a different element. Basketball if you run the table in conference tournament and the big dance you're still playing high 30s for games. The upsets are so much easier to pull off in single elimination format too.

Personally I think Football is harder than either, because despite their being fewer games and only one game a week the amount of politicking to even make the playoffs is astounding. Can you name any other sport where a team has finished undefeated but didn't even make the playoffs?
I think that is why I have the opinion that I do. One slip up, one bad shooting night, one questionable foul call in a crucial moment, and your season is over. Zero margin for error, and March Madness is just so heavily reliant on luck.

I think that is why I have the opinion that I do. One slip up, one bad shooting night, one questionable foul call in a crucial moment, and your season is over. Zero margin for error, and March Madness is just so heavily reliant on luck.

Yeah, I think from a pure playoff standpoint March Madness and the NFL are the top two most difficult.

I think winning a championship though is harder in college football overall. Cause the beauty of a 64 (68 really) team tournament winner takes all is anyone has a shot and they are basically equal opportunities. In college football some of the best teams haven't even gotten to play in the title games before.

Reactions: cncchris33
Originally I thought this too...but then I sat on it a bit longer. The grind of baseball I think just adds a different element. Basketball if you run the table in conference tournament and the big dance you're still playing high 30s for games. The upsets are so much easier to pull off in single elimination format too.

Personally I think Football is harder than either, because despite their being fewer games and only one game a week the amount of politicking to even make the playoffs is astounding. Can you name any other sport where a team has finished undefeated but didn't even make the playoffs?

I think football is hard but for different reasons; mostly because A) the playoff field is only 4 teams so you can at most lose 1 game and B) who you are depends on if you even have a realistic shot to begin with. When they expand that will make it a bit easier but not as much as the traditionalists act like.

Yeah, I think from a pure playoff standpoint March Madness and the NFL are the top two most difficult.

I think winning a championship though is harder in college football overall. Cause the beauty of a 64 (68 really) team tournament winner takes all is anyone has a shot and they are basically equal opportunities. In college football some of the best teams haven't even gotten to play in the title games before.
Agree. So I guess it depends on which perspective you look at college football from. If I look at it from Tennessee/Kentucky/Arkansas perspective, it seems impossible. If I look at it from Bama/Ohio State/Clemson perspectives, it seems easy because you're only likely competing with 4 or 5 teams each year.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Agree. So I guess it depends on which perspective you look at college football from. If I look at it from Tennessee/Kentucky/Arkansas perspective, it seems impossible. If I look at it from Bama/Ohio State/Clemson perspectives, it seems easy because you're only likely competing with 4 or 5 teams each year.

Rather than which championship is harder to win, I think the argument is over which sport it is more likely that the best team wins.

Does anyone else think the football forum is really hard to read or is it just me? It just seems like there is a ton of different threads for different thoughts that only have like 3 replies to them instead of the more condensed longer threads about topics like the basketball forum.

It's been like that forever; everyone who has a thought feels like they need to start a thread instead of just finding an existing one that their thought probably goes along with.

I think it’s more accurate to say football has the smallest margin for error to win a championship, but it definitely isn’t the hardest. The talent gap is a real thing in football. The biggest, strongest, quickest teams almost always win. How often do we see real upsets or a Cinderella team winning it all or making a deep run? Almost never.

Baseball has a lot more parity. I think that is what makes it so hard. You can win 57 games and a team like Campbell or Wright State can push you to the brink.

Rather than which championship is harder to win, I think the argument is over which sport it is more likely that the best team wins.
Yeah, football easily takes that spot. Basketball is probably next since it well-documented that the overall #1 seed in baseball hasn't won since 1999. Someone did the research on basketball in the same time period, and the overall #1 has only won in March three times in the same span, so even there, it doesn't happen often.

It won't make it better but I'm hoping the Celtics can steal one in San Francisco tonight. I'd like for Grant to win an NBA title. Normally I'd be against a Boston team because I got sick of them winning everything but for him I'll make an exception.
I love not having an allegiance to an NBA team. I just enjoy the talent and cheer for whoever I feel like at the moment. I really did not like the big-3 Boston teams, so it's nice to pull for them now.

Yeah, football easily takes that spot. Basketball is probably next since it well-documented that the overall #1 seed in baseball hasn't won since 1999. Someone did the research on basketball in the same time period, and the overall #1 has only won in March three times in the same span, so even there, it doesn't happen often.

Yeah, and I agree with the general discussion that baseball may be the more random sport, but that could be offset by the double elimination/series format. The only caveat is that basketball can be dominated by one or a few great players, and it seems to be prone to athletic freaks who are so much better than anyone else.

College baseball ranks the top 16 teams as national seeds for the postseason and 8 out of 64 tournament teams go to the college world series. As of now, there are 2 national seeds onto the CWS (#5 and 9), 4 teams that were not national seeds, and these will be joined by either 1 or 2 more national seeds, depending on tonight's results. So, there's a good chance that 5 of 8 teams in the CWS are not among the top 16 in the sport, which is pretty chaotic.

Yeah, and I agree with the general discussion that baseball may be the more random sport, but that could be offset by the double elimination/series format. The only caveat is that basketball can be dominated by one or a few great players, and it seems to be prone to athletic freaks who are so much better than anyone else.

College baseball ranks the top 16 teams as national seeds for the postseason and 8 out of 64 tournament teams go to the college world series. As of now, there are 2 national seeds onto the CWS (#5 and 9), 4 teams that were not national seeds, and these will be joined by either 1 or 2 more national seeds, depending on tonight's results. So, there's a good chance that 5 of 8 teams in the CWS are not among the top 16 in the sport, which is pretty chaotic.
I wonder how often it is that chaotic? Is that normal or is 2022 CWS an anomaly?

I wonder how often it is that chaotic? Is that normal or is 2022 CWS an anomaly?

Good question. The website below indicates that this year is more crazy than most (unfortunately for us). For the table, the "1-seeds" = top 16 teams, "2 seeds" = 17-32, "3 seeds" = 33-48, "4 seeds" 49-64. One note is that college baseball is more about pairing regional teams in close proximity rather than true top vs bottom.

Ultimately, the table shows that 75% of the final 8/CWS teams have come from the top 16 seeds.

Here's how often each seed makes the Men's College World Series

I think it’s more accurate to say football has the smallest margin for error to win a championship, but it definitely isn’t the hardest. The talent gap is a real thing in football. The biggest, strongest, quickest teams almost always win. How often do we see real upsets or a Cinderella team winning it all or making a deep run? Almost never.

Baseball has a lot more parity. I think that is what makes it so hard. You can win 57 games and a team like Campbell or Wright State can push you to the brink.

"Speed never had a bad day," as they say. Nor did size and strength. In basketball, shooting runs hot and cold, and the 3 point line is a great equalizer. In baseball, sometimes a pitcher has his stuff, sometimes not. Hitting is streaky, too. On the other hand, when was the last time a national title winning college football team did NOT have top 5 talent?

Recruiting forum is great. Football forum is like Volquest and 247 forums
I used to look at a majority of the threads on the football forum but now I open it up every day or 2 and see if there’s anything of interest. Typically during the off season I don’t open any of the threads and mark the forum read. I still read every thread in the basketball forum

I haven’t gone to the football forum and opened a thread in literally a year. Maybe longer. I don’t expect I’ll start any time soon. I had enough of a reminder about what the FF is like when those crazies infected the game threads and baseball forum during the postseason the last two weeks.

Reactions: berryvol and Ryno14

VN Store

Back