The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

You tell me I'm cherry picking with actual stats and totals, but then you want to bring up the per 40 with projected stats to fit YOUR narrative? If we go by per 40 Colin Coyne would be at 20 blocks a game, 20 points a game and 10 rebounds a game while shooting 100% from the field...

I think Uros is a ****** rebounder based on his size. I gave you the numbers that lead me to this opinion, if you don't want to agree then that's fine but I'm not going back and forth any further.
Yes you clearly are cherry picking. There's a huge difference between someone that has played like 5 minutes and someone that played well over 300 minutes. Very disingenuous to suggest otherwise. Your view of Uros's rebounding is based solely on the fact you do not like him. I don't really care one way or the other about him, but you're not being objective at all. Do you really think I created the per 40 minute stat? Just break it down by per minute then.

98/344 is .284 per minute, which is 3rd. Aidoo and Awaka are better rebounders for sure.

In Kyle's senior year he had 247 in 881 or .280 for every minute he was on the court, very slightly less. By your own admission Kyle was a good rebounder, so arguably Uros is a good rebounder. Not like some insane rebounder, but very solid by all means. I'm not arguing that he should be playing more minutes or whatever else, just being objective about his output.

If it is just by total rebounds, would you say grant was a better rebounder than Kyle, since he had more total rebounds that year? Or is that because Grant played more minutes than Kyle?

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
Yes you clearly are cherry picking. There's a huge difference between someone that has played like 5 minutes and someone that played well over 300 minutes. Very disingenuous to suggest otherwise. Your view of Uros's rebounding is based solely on the fact you do not like him. I don't really care one way or the other about him, but you're not being objective at all. Do you really think I created the per 40 minute stat? Just break it down by per minute then.

98/344 is .284 per minute, which is 3rd. Aidoo and Awaka are better rebounders for sure.

In Kyle's senior year he had 247 in 881 or .280 for every minute he was on the court, very slightly less. By your own admission Kyle was a good rebounder, so arguably Uros is a good rebounder. Not like some insane rebounder, but very solid by all means. I'm not arguing that he should be playing more minutes or whatever else, just being objective about his output.

If it is just by total rebounds, would you say grant was a better rebounder than Kyle, since he had more total rebounds that year? Or is that because Grant played more minutes than Kyle?

Love the guy, and I’ve even met him, got his cell in my phone. 😂

Again, I was talking about career totals originally and him being disappointing in categories I expected a 7 footer to dominate at. It is what it is, none of the projection metrics or “per minute” breakdowns have an impact on his career totals.

Because people weren't saying it. It was something stupid that Rucker started for clicks. Rucker finally got even Grant to respond. That was horrible for the team. I hope Rucker will make better decisions going forward. Sounds like something to undermine our team that would be a KNS mainstay, but I quit reading anything they write, so I don't know.

To be fair to Wes Rucker, he wasn’t the person who started the narrative. It was Will Warren who writes really good stuff based on analytics. Like I said, it was a fair point to discuss at the time it was written, but clearly the ensuing few weeks proved it otherwise.

To be fair to Wes Rucker, he wasn’t the person who started the narrative. It was Will Warren who writes really good stuff based on analytics. Like I said, it was a fair point to discuss at the time it was written, but clearly the ensuing few weeks proved it otherwise.
If this team was to finish 3-1 and make an E8 is it back on the table for discussion? S16?

If this year’s squad can hit 31 wins and make the Elite 8 with a 2nd SECT championship…best team ever as long as I’ve been watching.

Reactions: berryvol
If this year’s squad can hit 31 wins and make the Elite 8 with a 2nd SECT championship…best team ever as long as I’ve been watching.
Well if they reach 31 wins they’d have to make the final four right? 20 wins rn, 4 more in regular season, 3 in SEC tourney, then 4 in ncaa tourney. It’s not happening but if this team hits 30 wins something great has happened

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Plain and simple... Offensively our players look to be thinking instead of just playing basketball and on instinct... Phillips debacle not dunking the ball showed that he was thinking instead of playing on a common sense play... Rather it's a Barnes thing or what.... But they play so tight and scared on offense

I mean, we beat Bama and Auburn.

I don’t think Warren’s take was that bad. At full strength, we have a good team, it’s just very matchup dependent.
We’ve also been at full strength for like 2-3 weeks throughout the season. Very few opportunities to build chemistry at full strength.

One thing the 2018-2019 team had that this team has not was relative health, and I agree it’s made a big difference

37 games that year total.

Grant - started all 37
Admiral - started all 37
Bone - started all 37
Kyle - started all 37
Bowden - played in 36
Fulkerson - played in 36
Pons - played in 35
Turner - played in 28

One thing the 2018-2019 team had that this team has not was relative health, and I agree it’s made a big difference

That team also had 2 dudes in Admiral and Grant that could go and get you a bucket when the offense got stagnant. Hell, you could argue Bone could generate his own shot better than anybody on this year’s squad.

That’s the largest difference to me moreso than injuries.

Every relationship in life runs its course. Just feels like the relationship between this team and this fanbase has hit its saturation point.

These things happen and it’s not always the fault of one party or the other. There just isn’t any reason to believe this group is going to achieve something greater in March than they already have. So for me it’s like watching a movie when you already know the ending. Just a sense of apathy at this stage.
To add to this, you've just seen this same group exhibit the same flaws and problems continuously over multiple years, now...

•JJJ still struggles to stay healthy and struggles to finish at the rim.
•Nkamhoua still struggles to give consistent effort, and especially when the game doesn't come easy for him early on, he wilts.
•Plavsic still struggles to finish around the rim despite being 7'-1" and harnessing his emotion.
•Vescovi is the only one to show a good deal of improvement. He's gotten better with his ball-handling, his defense has improved tremendously, his quickness has improved, and he's mostly maintained his shooting touch.

Elite defensively, enigmatic and mostly sterile on offense. This team can win on any given night, regardless of opponent, but the maddening opposite angle is that they can lose on any given night, regardless of opponent, too. The offense can be very average when they bring it on defense, but they cannot have even a slight letdown on defense and expect to win with some of the offensive outputs we've seen.

I've just come around to the idea that expecting this same team that has folded in the postseason to suddenly change their stripes is likely a fool's errand. The same flaws still exist that were present last year, and the year before. It just seems unlikely that we will get the Bama game effort over a multi-game span in the postseason. I'm kinda to the point of seeing the S16 as this team's ceiling because they lack a player who can will them to a win when things just aren't going their way, offensively.

Having said all that, this team probably makes it to the E8 because nothing in college basketball makes sense.

To add to this, you've just seen this same group exhibit the same flaws and problems continuously over multiple years, now...

•Nkamhoua still struggles to give consistent effort, and especially when the game doesn't come easy for him early on, he wilts.
•Plavsic still struggles to finish around the rim despite being 7'-1" and harnessing his emotion.
•Vescovi is the only one to show a good deal of improvement. He's gotten better with his ball-handling, his defense has improved tremendously, his quickness has improved, and he's mostly maintained his shooting touch.

Elite defensively, enigmatic and mostly sterile on offense. This team can win on any given night, regardless of opponent, but the maddening opposite angle is that they can lose on any given night, regardless of opponent, too. The offense can be very average when they bring it on defense, but they cannot have even a slight letdown on defense and expect to win with some of the offensive outputs we've seen.

I've just come around to the idea that expecting this same team that has folded in the postseason to suddenly change their stripes is likely a fool's errand. The same flaws still exist that were present last year, and the year before. It just seems unlikely that we will get the Bama game effort over a multi-game span in the postseason. I'm kinda to the point of seeing the S16 as this team's ceiling because they lack a player who can will them to a win when things just aren't going their way, offensively.

Having said all that, this team probably makes it to the E8 because nothing in college basketball makes sense.

Four straight wins and you're in the Final Four, right?

So we just need them to repeat this stretch come tournament time...

1676991452803.png

A big worry to this year that last year didn't have is in our losses only 2 were close, and they were against teams they shouldn't have been playing close against (Vandy & Missouri). On the flip side very few close wins, Auburn, Maryland, Ole Miss, and USC...the rest weren't close at all.

Last year KC was that will you to win guy, and down the stretch the team had some character building wins. Beating #4 Kentucky, beating number #3 Auburn, beating #14 Arkansas to avenge a road loss, then beating Kentucky again to get to the SECT title game and then not having a letdown against a very hot A&M team. Feel like this season it's all been really impressive or really disappointing, even the close wins were UGLY and you left feeling disappointed a bit.

Reactions: berryvol
I mean.....I hate to point out the obvious but isnt' there a reason Uros hasn't played nearly as many minutes?
I'm not sure anyone is trying to argue he's a great player. He fouls a lot, he's not super consistent on offense, obviously isn't going to be great at defending in space given his size. I just don't think rebounding is why he doesn't play a lot. He's a role player, and he plays his role off the bench.

You pretty much summed up my thoughts well. I am grateful for what this group of Vols have done throughout their career, and I have really enjoyed watching them play. But, at this point, I feel like these players kind of are who they are and to expect them to play any different is a fool’s errand at this point.

I’m just excited to see the next generation of Tennessee basketball begin next Fall, and I am hopeful that this next crop of young players can find more offensive consistency than the crop we have now.

And before certain people jump in and try to claim I’m saying I want to trade defense for offense, I’m not saying that. I don’t know why it has to be one or the other. There are a lot of teams this season that display elite defensive efficiency with great offensive output. I don’t see why we can’t strive for this same thing. It’s just this group of players doesn’t seem capable of doing it.

I'm old and grew up when players played thru minor injuries and sickness. Now, they sit out with a hangnail.

Go ahead and attack me. Idc

VN Store

Back