The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I actually think the starting lineup should be adjusted on the road, maybe sit Santi or DK for Mashack. Put the best defensive lineup we have on the court and weather the storm from the home team making its first run.

We also know from the way last season ended, Mashack is capable of scoring too.

I actually think the starting lineup should be adjusted on the road, maybe sit Santi or DK for Mashack. Put the best defensive lineup we have on the court and weather the storm from the home team making its first run.

DK’s defense has improved a ton, I don’t think we can afford for him not to be on the floor to start the game. I do agree that Santi could be a really strong 6th man. Don’t really need to adjust his total minutes, just bring him in off the bench around the 16 minute mark.

DK’s defense has improved a ton, I don’t think we can afford for him not to be on the floor to start the game. I do agree that Santi could be a really strong 6th man. Don’t really need to adjust his total minutes, just bring him in off the bench around the 16 minute mark.
Am I misremembering or did we try something similar last year with Santi or ZZ for a few games and it paid dividends? I may be making this up lol but I Vaguely recall something like that

Yep, hard to remove DK when his offense is so big. But he's been the guy teams are trying to screen into those one on ones to drive at most. With how he's playing right now Santi off the bench I think makes the most sense, he seems to get a lot of early fouls and he's a bit gun shy on offense. I think letting him watch the first 2-4 minutes while he's being coached up on what he needs to do when he goes in would be huge.

Really wish we had another option at the 4, I think ON and Phillips last year were able to really bother players with their length when playing that position.

Am I misremembering or did we try something similar last year with Santi or ZZ for a few games and it paid dividends? I may be making this up lol but I Vaguely recall something like that

Nope, ZZ only started 15 games last year. We let Key start ahead of him in 15. After the injury it was Mashack getting the starts. Santi/ON were the only 2 to start every game they played for us.

Reactions: CornbreadVol
Nope, ZZ only started 15 games last year. We let Key start ahead of him in 15. After the injury it was Mashack getting the starts. Santi/ON were the only 2 to start every game they played for us.
Thought so, thanks! I do think bringing Santi off of the bench might help him get into a rhythm. Plus having him and Gainey coming off of the bench would probably be the one of the best scoring duos coming off of the bench in the SEC. Also boosts our starting D with Mashack like you mentioned

Thought so, thanks! I do think bringing Santi off of the bench might help him get into a rhythm. Plus having him and Gainey coming off of the bench would probably be the one of the best scoring duos coming off of the bench in the SEC. Also boosts our starting D with Mashack like you mentioned

Could also allow you to give ZZ more of a rest early in the game. Santi could come get him and you'd be able to "steal" a few minutes letting Santi/Shack run point or DK play point forward.

We over worked ZZ last season in minutes as well before his injury...gotta find creative ways to give him breaks early so he's on the court to close games out.

Reactions: CornbreadVol

Think you make a great point about weathering the storm. How many times this season have we seen road teams get boat raced on the road in the eight minutes or so? Feels like quite a few.

Surviving the early run in a hornets nest environment when the home crowd is practically wiling shots in is critical to winning in the road.

Reactions: ColinS and MoCo_Vol
97% of the bets are on South Carolina moneylime on the road??? People think that little of Auburn??

This is how Vegas wins.

97% is a ton, but there’s almost always a higher % on the underdog ML, especially in a 10+ point spread. You’d have to bet $800+ to win $100 on Auburn ML, so most who will play the ML at all will try their chances at a bigger payday from a smaller wager.

Edit: but correct, this is why Vegas has bright lights and big buildings

Think you make a great point about weathering the storm. How many times this season have we seen road teams get boat raced on the road in the eight minutes or so? Feels like quite a few.

Surviving the early run in a hornets nest environment when the home crowd is practically wiling shots in is critical to winning in the road.
Matching the intensity of a home team playing with their hair on fire at the beginning of games has been an issue. It's the first thing you have to do.

Good win tonight, fellas!

I’m done with volnation for awhile. Can’t even have a discussion without posts getting clipped. Doesn’t happen anywhere but VolNation. Lame.

If we ever got into it in here it was never anything personal, at least on my end. I like the back and forth, I guess others don’t. Hope everyone enjoys basketball season. Love you guys, go vols.

I’m done with volnation for awhile. Can’t even have a discussion without posts getting clipped. Doesn’t happen anywhere but VolNation. Lame.

If we ever got into it in here it was never anything personal, at least on my end. I like the back and forth, I guess others don’t. Hope everyone enjoys basketball season. Love you guys, go vols.
Love ya, Indy. Eff 'em, if that can't take a joke. Check in occasionally, my man

No need to leave, man. Ignore the drive-bys and the losers who want to be the center of attention and stick around. Your contributions are valued.

A beat down at Bud Walton wasn’t on my Bingo card.

Not surprised that the same mouth breathers in the game thread want to kick players out of the rotation after every poor play or game. And they post their same whine and over and over and over and…

A beat down at Bud Walton wasn’t on my Bingo card.

Not surprised that the same mouth breathers in the game thread want to kick players out of the rotation after every poor play or game. And they post their same whine and over and over and over and…

The only name I saw consistently was Vescovi. That's a valid opinion. Maybe coming off the bench would give him an edge? IDK. He doesn't do much on offense any more, and imo, his defense isn't what it used ro be.

Reactions: Pennheel
The only name I saw consistently was Vescovi. That's a valid opinion. Maybe coming off the bench would give him an edge? IDK. He doesn't do much on offense any more, and imo, his defense isn't what it used ro be.

I’m don’t think it’s a good idea because TN doesn’t play straight up man-to-man defense. The weakest link applies to TN’s defense and I think they’re probably more effective grouping certain players together.

Also, since SV’s diminished scoring production is mental, sitting him down as a starter might make it worse. His minutes can be adjusted without changing the lineup.

Santi isn’t shooting TN out of games like Bailey would do when taking 20 shots while making 2 or 3.

The little things are important. I saw him shut down a couple of Arkansas fast breaks by getting in front of and stopping the dribbler allowing the rest of TN’s defense to get back, get organized, and get a stop. SV doesn’t get credited with a positive stat when he does those things.

Whatever hope we had SV would regain his All SEC form and contribute in a meaningful way this season are dwindling fast. I have posted previously I would support SV as a 6th man at this point but we would give up the spacing his presence creates because he still commands tight D from opposing teams. Having said that, SV now has scored 6 or less pts in 11 of 24 games and 10 pts in 15 games while averaging 27 min.

Weren’t people a few weeks ago asking to never see Gainey on the floor again and saying he only plays because his dad is the coach? Now folks wants to bench Santi for Gainey?

Weren’t people a few weeks ago asking to never see Gainey on the floor again and saying he only plays because his dad is the coach? Now folks wants to bench Santi for Gainey?
Gainey when he is on provides such a nice spark off bench. When he's off it can be hard to watch. I do think Mashack's defense and physicality might be needed more against TAM and Auburn coming up.

Maybe it never happens this season but it does some like there's one more gear for this team if Vescovi finds his shot and aggressiveness.

Reactions: Pennheel
As long as we're winning games, I'm sure Barnes & company aren't too worried about adjusting the lineup.

Santi needs to shoot to get out of his slump though, and he's not doing that.

But a good portion of our fans only look at the now and forget the previous games. Cause Santi had a good stretch of games where he scored 10 or more and shot well. Bama, at Vandy, vs South Carolina and at Kentucky

Reactions: berryvol

I wouldn't bench him for Gainey. Mashack would be my choice.

It's not like Santi wouldn't get his minutes.

VN Store

Back