The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I am optimistic we will be better off at the center position on both sides of the ball. Okpara will be a better defender than either Aidoo or Awaka. His only question is how much will he score...I think he averages at least 8 ppg with more development as a SO, more minutes, and playing with ZZ (he can avg double digits if he can raise his FT % to ~70%). Estrella showed some real toughness against Edey and I think we start to see his offensive game this season.

So, in my mind, we are unquestionably better on D and will rebound at least as well as last year's tandem which averaged 11.9 rpg (7.3 and 4.6 respectively for Aidoo and Awaka). On offense the bar is set at 16.5 pts (11.4 ppg and 5.1 ppg respectively for Aidoo and Awaka) which means this year's tandem needs to average 8.5 ppg each which is very reasonable to expect.

I am optimistic we will be better off at the center position on both sides of the ball. Okpara will be a better defender than either Aidoo or Awaka. His only question is how much will he score...I think he averages at least 8 ppg with more development as a SO, more minutes, and playing with ZZ (he can avg double digits if he can raise his FT % to ~70%). Estrella showed some real toughness against Edey and I think we start to see his offensive game this season.

So, in my mind, we are unquestionably better on D and will rebound at least as well as last year's tandem which averaged 11.9 rpg (7.3 and 4.6 respectively for Aidoo and Awaka). On offense the bar is set at 16.5 pts (11.4 ppg and 5.1 ppg respectively for Aidoo and Awaka) which means this year's tandem needs to average 8.5 ppg each which is very reasonable to expect.

If Okpara can handle ZZ’s dishes and make the open dunks and free throws he can easily average double digit points. ZZ missed out on several assists every game the last couple of years because the TN posts couldn’t finish at the rim or catch his passes.

If Okpara can handle ZZ’s dishes and make the open dunks and free throws he can easily average double digit points. ZZ missed out on several assists every game the last couple of years because the TN posts couldn’t finish at the rim or catch his passes.
It was always frustrating to watch Aidoo fumble what seemed like so many of ZZ's passes especially because the passes were almost always delivered on point.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
From Basilio's blog this morning:

Carr & Estrella Licking Bumps:
Both guys have been slowed recently by bumps and bruises which has kept them from going full speed. Nothing to worry about but something to report, nonetheless.

Igor Milicic Is Emerging As Top Dog:
Among the newcomers. Was that on your Sinco (Hey Sean) Card? The big man can REALLY shoot the ball. He's holding down the role as the 4. He's the first guy in the Barnes era that can pull up and shoot it at any time. He projects to shoot it at a high level. He's a better athlete than they thought. He can defend and handle it. Tennessee is considering allowing him to play some time at the 3 to 5. Yes a 6-10 wing. He's been very good. Milicic was a rotation player as a freshman at Virginia but remains a mystery. It's no wonder Baylor was all in on him as he's on track to start from day one at Tennessee. Rick Barnes really likes his toughness. Milicic has proven he's no pushover down low as he had 4 blocks versus Duke last season. Think of a less athletic, tougher Olivier who's a little bigger with a better consistent outside shot. So far in the summer Milicic and ZZ have been Tennessee's two best players.

Inside How UT Hoops Will Attack The Increase To 15 Scholarships:
I was told that Rick Barnes wants to keep it simple within his program. Therefore don't expect Tennessee to sign to the 15 limit. I was told that Tennessee will only sign between 11-13 'real scholarship players'. Tennessee will then use the additional 2-4 slots on traditional walk-ons who will receive full rides due to the House settlement. With the portal and your roster being upperclassman heavy Barnes thinks his current roster probably has too many scholarship players. In other words 13 is too many mouths to feed. So, expect Tennessee to have a healthy handful of walk-ons on scholarship.

Both guys have been slowed recently by bumps and bruises which has kept them from going full speed. Nothing to worry about but something to report, nonetheless.
Among the newcomers. Was that on your Sinco (Hey Sean) Card? The big man can REALLY shoot the ball. He's holding down the role as the 4. He's the first guy in the Barnes era that can pull up and shoot it at any time. He projects to shoot it at a high level. He's a better athlete than they thought. He can defend and handle it. Tennessee is considering allowing him to play some time at the 3 to 5. Yes a 6-10 wing. He's been very good. Milicic was a rotation player as a freshman at Virginia but remains a mystery. It's no wonder Baylor was all in on him as he's on track to start from day one at Tennessee. Rick Barnes really likes his toughness. Milicic has proven he's no pushover down low as he had 4 blocks versus Duke last season. Think of a less athletic, tougher Olivier who's a little bigger with a better consistent outside shot. So far in the summer Milicic and ZZ have been Tennessee's two best players.

I was told that Rick Barnes wants to keep it simple within his program. Therefore don't expect Tennessee to sign to the 15 limit. I was told that Tennessee will only sign between 11-13 'real scholarship players'. Tennessee will then use the additional 2-4 slots on traditional walk-ons who will receive full rides due to the House settlement. With the portal and your roster being upperclassman heavy Barnes thinks his current roster probably has too many scholarship players. In other words 13 is too many mouths to feed. So, expect Tennessee to have a healthy handful of walk-ons on scholarship.
'Think of a less athletic, tougher Olivier who's a little bigger with a better consistent outside shot."

That's a funny line.

Early nuggets and reports like this are where legends are born.

What is the House settlement? And is every school at 15 for basketball scholarships now?

Edit. NVM Google is my friend. Interesting

Last edited:
The caller Jeeker died. Mostly a Basilio caller but he was a regular on other shows as well. The Sports Animal for one.

George Quarles Fan. GQF. Jeeker. Snow Ball. Another alias or two. Marty was another.

RIP. Even though his takes after losing games triggered my a**. Especially when he’d put Barnes on blast. He was a Johnny Majors fan, so IMO he must have been a pretty good guy.

The caller Jeeker died. Mostly a Basilio caller but he was a regular on other shows as well. The Sports Animal for one.

George Quarles Fan. GQF. Jeeker. Snow Ball. Another alias or two. Marty was another.

RIP. Even though his takes after losing games triggered my a**. Especially when he’d put Barnes on blast. He was a Johnny Majors fan, so IMO he must have been a pretty good guy.
🙏

Reactions: DuckInAPen

VN Store

Back