The Official #1 Tennessee vs Notre Dame Super Regional Games Thread (Fri 6/10 6PM EST ESPN 2) ( Sat. 6/11 2PM EST ESPN ) (Sun. 6/12 1PM EST ESPN)

Baseball thread . Stop doing the itties pics/gifs. BC I can do this all night. Y'all are dreaming!!!

View attachment 462164
what ever

IdenticalNeighboringBluet-size_restricted.gif

Here's what I've been able to gather about Notre Dame. I've split my post into two parts:

Part I: When scouting our next opponent, I'm always curious as to what they (in this case, Notre Dame) has to say about Tennessee. I think its helpful to know their perspective.

Notre Dame HC Link Jarrett:

"This again but better offense," said Jarrett of what it will take to defeat Tennessee in a best-of-three series in Knoxville. "We have to be better offensively. We're going to have to play in all phases of the game and control our emotions because it's going to be Starkville-esque like last year. We dealt with 15,000 fans. This is going to be very similar and all parts of your game have to be on point. You have to force the issue a little bit and try to pressure them into some things.
"We'll be prepared for that. That doesn't always mean you win. But the preparation...(assistant coaches) Rich Wallace and Chuck Ristano prepare the team with the details as well as anybody I've ever been around. When these guys walk on the field, it's hard to gauge it when you watch as an observer. Those guys do the hard, detailed work to prepare the team and then we take it and try to push the right buttons. Clearly, it's worked well."

Source: NCAA Baseball Tournament 2022: Notre Dame coach Link Jarrett shares first thoughts on No. 1 Tennessee

From an Irish Sports Daily trusted “source”:
  • “What makes Tennessee so deadly ... Tennessee tries to absolutely intimidate its opponents," "Some younger teams are not used to this and could fold in that ballpark. Tennessee batters will scream at Notre Dame's pitchers while running to first base. They will bat-flip like it's wiffle ball and try to bully opponents. It's important for Notre Dame to keep its composure and let Tennessee know they will not be intimidated."

• "Notre Dame has a core group of veteran players who have been through many environments over the last four to five years," "I still believe Notre Dame is one of the few teams in the country that can go in there and win. Link (Jarrett) will have a great game plan and Tennessee may underestimate how good Notre Dame is while looking forward to Omaha. Notre Dame will have to play its usual great defense and not have a poor defensive game like the first game in Starkville last year."

• “Notre Dame can take two of three by hanging around until the 5th or 6th inning and getting to the Tennessee pen," stated the source. "To me, the pen, aside from RHP Ben Joyce (who throws over 100 mph), it's Tennessee's weakness. It's not overpowering.”

• "Notre Dame's styles of play gives them a great chance to win the series. Notre Dame will have to limit strikeouts against Tennessee's starters and then steal bases. Tennessee really struggles to throw runners out. Notre Dame's offense sets up great for this."

• "Notre Dame's pitchers will have to pitch to all five areas of the zone and keep hitters off-balance, "They [ND] will have to pitch inside and not let Tennessee get comfortable looking for pitches away all game. Some of Tennessee's hitters really struggle with off-speed pitches, so Notre Dame can't rely on fastballs the whole game. "The key will be locating. Velocity will not be enough."
Source: Button-Downed Notre Dame Must Ignore Rocky Top Rowdies

Part II: Notre Dame scout

ESPN's Mike Rooney on Notre Dame (from his 6/7 Tuesday interview on Tony Basiiio's Show):

'They were better last year. Niko Kavadas is gone and Tanner Kolhlhepp is gone. There is not one position where you would take a Notre Dame player over a Tennessee player. Tennessee is better at every position. Notre Dame's edge is age. They're Old. They play a cerebral band of baseball ... These guys are in grad school. 8 of 9 Starters are graduates. I did a senior day game there and the field was full of graduates.
  • On ND starting pitching "trickery": Lefty John Michael Bertrand ...24 years old ...started game 1. 7 hour rain delay ... threw one inning. 20 pitches. Took Sat off and Sunday he balled out. He went 7/2/3 innings ... 9 hits 7 ks 0 walks. He's a transfer from Furman. He matriculated to Notre Dame after Furman's baseball program was a Covid casualty. 6th year senior. Uses his brain to get outs.
  • Austin Temple: (redshirt graduate) In regional vs Ga southern 5/2/3. 4 hits 4 walks ... 4 runs 8 k's. RHP ... He uses his stuff to keep people off balance. He has a really nice curveball.
  • ND's bullpen: Has power arms. They have 3.87 staff ERA
  • ND's offense and approach: Hits .296 as a team. 'The sum of the parts is greater than the whole'
  • 'They'll bunt. They'll run. They'll hit and run. They'll delayed steal. You name and they're going to try it. They'll do anything they have to do to get to Tennessee. They look like a men's league team the way they approach offense. Link Jarrett is very creative with his offense in 2022. They pull out all the stops because they have to.'
  • Coach Jarrett will not coach afraid. He's going to do everything in his power with his limited roster to get out of Knoxville with two wins. If Notre Dame gets too far behind in a game, which I think could happen ... They will punt on a game if need be.'
  • ND is a veteran team with a few players left from a group that pushed Mississippi State (in Starkville Super Regional) to a three game limit last year.
Source: The Tony Basilio Show

VQ's Ben McKee preview on Notre Dame: VolQuest - Previewing Tennessee's opponent in the Knoxville Super Regional: Notre Dame

My thoughts on this weekend's ND / Tennessee matchup: ND is an experienced, veteran team that has been in this situation last season in the Starkville Super Regional and they gave the Bulldogs all they could handle. They are a detail oriented team and Coach Jarrett has a creative, different approach. They will have a detailed scout on our team and will try to exploit all of the our weaknesses. I expect them to throw everything and the kitchen sink at us because of the CWS berth at stake. I also suspect The Fighting Irish will play with a chip due to being snubbed as a Regional host. They will be looking to make a statement. It will be a dogfight this weekend.

Of course, I think our guys have the depth, talent, and experience to go toe-to-toe with The Irish. Our advantage is talent and depth, but our lineup must have better plate discipline (competitive ABs and pitch recognition; don't fall into swinging at junk pitches), much better defense than last weekend, and not make assumptions about getting to ND's bullpen. I think our lineup's experience against Campbell's Kuehler and GT's Maxwell last weekend helps.

Our pitchers need to keep throwing strikes. I think we'll be fine from a starting pitching standpoint if Blade pitches like he did against Alabama State and Dolly bounces back (I think he will).

Last edited:
Here's what I've been about to gather about Notre Dame. I've split my post into two parts:

Part I: When scouting our next opponent, I'm always curious as to what they (in this case, Notre Dame) has to say about Tennessee. I think its helpful to know their perspective.

Notre Dame HC Link Jarrett:

"This again but better offense," said Jarrett of what it will take to defeat Tennessee in a best-of-three series in Knoxville. "We have to be better offensively. We're going to have to play in all phases of the game and control our emotions because it's going to be Starkville-esque like last year. We dealt with 15,000 fans. This is going to be very similar and all parts of your game have to be on point. You have to force the issue a little bit and try to pressure them into some things.
"We'll be prepared for that. That doesn't always mean you win. But the preparation...(assistant coaches) Rich Wallace and Chuck Ristano prepare the team with the details as well as anybody I've ever been around. When these guys walk on the field, it's hard to gauge it when you watch as an observer. Those guys do the hard, detailed work to prepare the team and then we take it and try to push the right buttons. Clearly, it's worked well."

Source: NCAA Baseball Tournament 2022: Notre Dame coach Link Jarrett shares first thoughts on No. 1 Tennessee

From an Irish Sports Daily trusted “source”:
  • “What makes Tennessee so deadly ... Tennessee tries to absolutely intimidate its opponents," "Some younger teams are not used to this and could fold in that ballpark. Tennessee batters will scream at Notre Dame's pitchers while running to first base. They will bat-flip like it's wiffle ball and try to bully opponents. It's important for Notre Dame to keep its composure and let Tennessee know they will not be intimidated."

• "Notre Dame has a core group of veteran players who have been through many environments over the last four to five years," "I still believe Notre Dame is one of the few teams in the country that can go in there and win. Link (Jarrett) will have a great game plan and Tennessee may underestimate how good Notre Dame is while looking forward to Omaha. Notre Dame will have to play its usual great defense and not have a poor defensive game like the first game in Starkville last year."

• “Notre Dame can take two of three by hanging around until the 5th or 6th inning and getting to the Tennessee pen," stated the source. "To me, the pen, aside from RHP Ben Joyce (who throws over 100 mph), it's Tennessee's weakness. It's not overpowering.”

• "Notre Dame's styles of play gives them a great chance to win the series. Notre Dame will have to limit strikeouts against Tennessee's starters and then steal bases. Tennessee really struggles to throw runners out. Notre Dame's offense sets up great for this."

• "Notre Dame's pitchers will have to pitch to all five areas of the zone and keep hitters off-balance, "They [ND] will have to pitch inside and not let Tennessee get comfortable looking for pitches away all game. Some of Tennessee's hitters really struggle with off-speed pitches, so Notre Dame can't rely on fastballs the whole game. "The key will be locating. Velocity will not be enough."
Source: Button-Downed Notre Dame Must Ignore Rocky Top Rowdies

Part II: Notre Dame scout

ESPN's Mike Rooney on Notre Dame (from his 6/7 Tuesday interview on Tony Basiiio's Show):

'They were better last year. Niko Kavadas is gone and Tanner Kolhlhepp is gone. There is not one position where you would take a Notre Dame player over a Tennessee player. Tennessee is better at every position. Notre Dame's edge is age. They're Old. They play a cerebral band of baseball ... These guys are in grad school. 8 of 9 Starters are graduates. I did a senior day game there and the field was full of graduates.
  • On ND starting pitching "trickery": Lefty John Michael Bertrand ...24 years old ...started game 1. 7 hour rain delay ... threw one inning. 20 pitches. Took Sat off and Sunday he balled out. He went 7/2/3 innings ... 9 hits 7 ks 0 walks. He's a transfer from Furman. He matriculated to Notre Dame after Furman's baseball program was a Covid casualty. 6th year senior. Uses his brain to get outs.
  • Austin Temple: (redshirt graduate) In regional vs Ga southern 5/2/3. 4 hits 4 walks ... 4 runs 8 k's. RHP ... He uses his stuff to keep people off balance. He has a really nice curveball.
  • ND's bullpen: Has power arms. They have 3.87 staff ERA
  • ND's offense and approach: Hits .296 as a team. 'The sum of the parts is greater than the whole'
  • 'They'll bunt. They'll run. They'll hit and run. They'll delayed steal. You name and they're going to try it. They'll do anything they have to do to get to Tennessee. They look like a men's league team the way they approach offense. Link Jarrett is very creative with his offense in 2022. They pull out all the stops because they have to.'
  • Coach Jarrett will not coach afraid. He's going to do everything in his power with his limited roster to get out of Knoxville with two wins. If Notre Dame gets too far behind in a game, which I think could happen ... They will punt on a game if need be.'
  • ND is a veteran team with a few players left from a group that pushed Mississippi State (in Starkville Super Regional) to a three game limit last year.
Source: The Tony Basilio Show

VQ's Ben McKee preview on Notre Dame: VolQuest - Previewing Tennessee's opponent in the Knoxville Super Regional: Notre Dame

My thoughts on this weekend's ND / Tennessee matchup: ND is an experienced, veteran team that has been in this situation last season in the Starkville Super Regional and they gave the Bulldogs all they could handle. They are a detail oriented team and Coach Jarrett has a creative, different approach. They will have a detailed scout on our team and will try to exploit all of the our weaknesses. I expect them to throw everything and the kitchen sink at us because of the CWS berth at stake. I also suspect The Fighting Irish will play with a chip due to being snubbed as a Regional host. They will be looking to make a statement. It will be a dogfight this weekend.

Of course, I think our guys have the depth, talent, and experience to go toe-to-toe with The Irish. Our advantage is talent and depth, but our lineup must have better plate discipline (competitive ABs and pitch recognition; don't fall into swinging at junk pitches), much better defense than last weekend, and not make assumptions about getting to ND's bullpen. I think our lineup's experience against Campbell's Kuehler and GT's Maxwell last weekend helps.

Our pitchers need to keep throwing strikes. I think we'll be fine from a starting pitching standpoint if Blade pitches like he did against Alabama State and Dolly bounces back (I think he will).

I hate to break it to them but our bullpen isn’t just Joyce. In fact, he’s not even the best one in there if we are being completely honest. Pitching is a lot more than slinging it 105mph. Our whole pitching staff of major contributors has a sub-3 ERA. Our bullpen is the reason we won our regional, outside of the late game explosions. The majority of posts I’ve seen show we are not underestimating ND and understand they have played like a top 10 team. Maybe they are the ones underestimating our guys?

Saw him summer 77 at Freedom Hall. He had the voice, not the wiggle. But, OMG the girls were still going wild.
My mom went to see him. I’ll have to see which venue it was. I can’t recall but she was one of those fan girls 😂. She got to see Elvis, Prince, and Michael Jackson all in their prime. What a time to be alive.

Last edited:
I hate to break it to them but our bullpen isn’t just Joyce. In fact, he’s not even the best one in there if we are being completely honest. Pitching is a lot more than slinging it 105mph. Our whole pitching staff of major contributors has a sub-3 ERA. Our bullpen is the reason we won our regional, outside of the late game explosions. The majority of posts I’ve seen show we are not underestimating ND and understand they have played like a top 10 team. Maybe they are the ones underestimating our guys?

Oh, I agree and raised my eyebrows at that particular comment from their "source". On the contrary, our bullpen is our strength, and not a weakness. Their source is misguided in this instance. I don't either team will underestimate the other - they both know what's at stake.

Geez. Notre Dame is one of the better teams left in this tournament IMO. Those odds seem way too high for us. Feel like this series is going to be a war.

Personally, there’s no team I’d rather face in Supers than Notre Dame. A filthy lineup can go off any day and basically every other team has that.

Reactions: Juanita

VN Store

Back