The Official #15 Tennessee vs. Chattanooga Game Thread, 12:45 PM ET, SEC Network

Next to NCAA Tournament, College Football opening day reigns supreme. A few observations, Gators already in trouble, Georgia started slow but ended very strong, SC lucked out, Vandy rushed the field as if they won a Natty, Bama looked good. Going to be a hell of a year. Nico is a legit Heisman candidate if he keeps playing lights out!

To everyone who sat on here week after week last year and defended Bozooka Joe, now you get to see what we had sitting on the bench all last year.
Do you think it's weird that you know about how to develop a QB more than CJH? You should email him. Or, just maybe, you should realize that he has a better idea on this than you. Guy has given you no reason to doubt him. But please continue to regail us with how smart you are. I mean surely no one else considered starting him. Not even coach. JFC.

Reactions: Vol8188 and Midas
A few observations today, Nico was very accurate overall. The receivers caught the ball well. I thought Seldon and Bishop showed promise and I believe they will be able to help in backfield. Sampson looked very good. Jordan Ross is a true freshman but physically looks like a junior. He has a bright future. The defense played good upfront and linebackers looked good as well. Still too early to tell about our secondary as it wasn’t seriously tested due to dominating upfront. We did what we were supposed to do and passed the eye test. The OL played well even if competition was pretty weak. We clearly outclassed them and it could have been worse. But still room to get sharper and the competition is going to ramp up and we have to respond to that. I really like how Bishop read his blocks and hit hole hard. He runs good behind his blocks. I thought Seldon got better as he went. We got to remember he hasn’t been going full contact long, I like our running backs. GBO!!!!

Last edited:
Tennessee was like the Ferrari SF90 Stradale today because of being incredible.

It’s an outmatched foe so I’m not going to overreact to this first game which was lightweight lifting because Chattanooga was out of its weight class.

IMG_0099.jpeg

Reactions: volfan102455
Not reading through all this thread to catch up as I attended the game.

The receivers are much improved this year, in terms of getting open. I realize it was Chattanooga, but they were getting open, something they did not do well last year. There were also some incredible catches on passes that were forced into very tight openings.

The only issue I had is that at times it seemed like it took forever for the throw to come out to the receiver. These will need to develop to be a lot faster to be effective against the SEC teams on the schedule. There were several times when the throw was right before what would have been a sack. Those will be sacks against the best SEC teams.

And yes I put this out there because everyone is focused on Nico when a lot of praise should go to those receivers.

I was wondering the same thing. He was not listed in the defensive box score. Is he injured ?
He played. UTC game planned for him pretty well. Used a back or TE to chip or DT him on almost every play. They also ran roll outs away from him. The UTC QB was very aware of where he was even to the point of getting a delay of game penalty in a 3rd and short situation because he was trying to get his back to line up on the side JP was. The only reason I'm guessing he wasn't in the box score is he didn't record a tackle, sack, or TFL. Like a lot of starters he was gone by the second half. Haven't seen anything that would indicate he was injured. Expect most teams to play him the same way. That left Josephs soloed up on the other side and he got 3 tackles. So JP is effecting the game even when he's not recording sacks. Think Eric Berry, when other teams just didn't throw to his side of the field. He wasn't stuffing the stat sheet but he was taking one side of the field away from the opposing offense. There's a reason Barry Bonds was walked more than anyone in MLB history.

He played. UTC game planned for him pretty well. Used a back or TE to chip or DT him on almost every play. They also ran roll outs away from him. The UTC QB was very aware of where he was even to the point of getting a delay of game penalty in a 3rd and short situation because he was trying to get his back to line up on the side JP was. The only reason I'm guessing he wasn't in the box score is he didn't record a tackle, sack, or TFL. Like a lot of starters he was gone by the second half. Haven't seen anything that would indicate he was injured. Expect most teams to play him the same way. That left Josephs soloed up on the other side and he got 3 tackles. So JP is effecting the game even when he's not recording sacks. Think Eric Berry, when other teams just didn't throw to his side of the field. He wasn't stuffing the stat sheet but he was taking one side of the field away from the opposing offense. There's a reason Barry Bonds was walked more than anyone in MLB history.
Except there were a couple of defensive lineman without a tackle or sack who were listed in the box score with zeros next to their name.
Thus, my question about Pierce. I was thinking if you played at all, your name would be listed.
But sounds like he is ok and ready to go. Just don't have anymore traffic stops where you act like a defiant brat.

Right, Moore is a game manager. He knows the offense. He’s been with Heup since the UCF days but he has no upside besides what we’ve already seen. The Freshman, Merk, just showed anyone watching that he has a much higher ceiling and far more talent. I’m not much into game managers. If Nico went down and Moore came in to play the remainder of the season, we’d be lucky to go 6-6. With Merk, I’d feel like we had a chance in most games. To each their own but I’d rather ride or die with Merk.
If Nico was already a junior and expected to leave for the NFL after this season, I wager Merk would be 2nd string to get him ready. As it is we don’t need Merk ready to go next year; we need a serviceable backup this year. That’s why Moore is getting the 2nd team reps.

Reactions: VolRage

VN Store

Back