The Official 2024 NCAAT Watch Party Thread

Bama gets a miracle from some bench kid who hasn’t scored more than 6 all year lol. You can’t make this stuff this up.

If you're referring to Nelson, he averaged 11.8 ppg this year and scored 22 against Florida, 20 against Georgia, 20 against Ohio State, which doesn't match that description. He's inconsistent, like their whole team is, but they played well at the right time against an opponent who played into their hands.

If you're referring to Nelson, he averaged 11.8 ppg this year and scored 22 against Florida, 20 against Georgia, 20 against Ohio State, which doesn't match that description. He's inconsistent, like their whole team is, but they played well at the right time against an opponent who played into their hands.
Oh I seen somebody mention 6 points. I looked into it and it’s 6 combined in the last 2 games. My bad on that one.

Match ups are important, but it seems to be more about who gets hot shooting and/or who goes ice cold.
I think you nailed it right there. We’ve all seen our Vols go dreadfully cold with multiple guys on the same night. That can’t happen and survive. Maybe this night is back to average at least, hopefully better.

The way I see it, NC fell into the trap of running with Bama. They allowed them to get hot and
fell victim to a random white dude having the game of his life.

Neither team plays great defense so it came down to who was hot. UNC was hot in first half, especially late, but ran out of gas towards the end. I will say Alabama played some of the best defense in that last 5-6 minutes that I saw them play all year.

I would not assume Bama will beat Clemson. Arizona found out that Clemson plays defense pretty well and, as evidenced by our two games, Bama does not like in-your-face, grind-you-up defense. In my view, Carolina made a huge error by getting into a run and gun battle with Bama. Played right into their hands. And when your outside shooters are cold, it didn’t help their cause. Grant Nelson is a matchup problem though if he stays out of foul trouble. As I recall, he was in foul trouble in both of our games and wasn’t a factor.

I agree though with the statement that if they get by Clemson, they won’t get by UConn.
But even with that, UNC shot 10-40 from the field in the 2nd half, and only lost by 2 points. That missed dunk by Bacot was atrocious. Nelson played great, but I think the Heels choked more than anything else.

UNC missed 30 shots in the 2nd half. That is an average of one missed shot for every 40 seconds of play. With a 30 second shot clock, that's not easy to do. You have to be playing fast and putting up a ton of bricks. RJ Davis could not have hit water while standing on the end of a pier last night ... but kept chucking 3's anyway. He was 0-9.

Last edited:
I'm genuinely convinced we have the worst luck in all of sports. Ryan Cline, Carson Edwards foul, Stokes charge call, Sister Jean, and thats just basketball within the past decade. I fully expect a 7th year manager-converted walk-on to come into the game and hit 6 threes.

1998 Syracuse and Arkansas football teams would like a word - line two.
😂

The revenge factor from an early loss is real. Bama will destroy them. They are confident and that is huge this time of year.
Clemson matches up well with Alabama .... and the "revenge factor" is nonsense in the NCAA Tournament, when both teams have so much to play for. Alabama might win, but it will be a close game. Clemson will slow it down, not take so many jump shots in early offense, as North Carolina did .... and they will be more physical.

Match ups are important, but it seems to be more about who gets hot shooting and/or who goes ice cold. NC runs away with the win last night if Davis has an average shooting night for him and/or Nelson doesn’t have his best scoring game of the season. AZ does the same if Love doesn’t go ice cold.

Let’s all hope none of DK, ZZZ, and Aidoo have one of their worst shooting games of the season!
I look for Knecht to have a big game tonight. He has responded well to "off nights" (the few that he has even had). The rest of the team is a crap shoot, though.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Clemson matches up well with Alabama .... and the "revenge factor" is nonsense in the NCAA Tournament, when both teams have so much to play for. Alabama might win, but it will be a close game. Clemson will slow it down, not take so many jump shots in early offense, as North Carolina did .... and they will be more physical.
I hope you are right! I just have a feeling bama runs them out of the gym with a hot shooting night from multiple guys.

I realize I’m getting ahead of myself here but… I work 7A-7P on Sunday. And ideas what the game times are on Sunday? I realize we don’t don’t which time a slot we’ll get but do we know what time the two broadcast will happen?

I realize I’m getting ahead of myself here but… I work 7A-7P on Sunday. And ideas what the game times are on Sunday? I realize we don’t don’t which time a slot we’ll get but do we know what time the two broadcast will happen?
The games tomorrow are at 6 and 8. Will the Sunday games be the same?

VN Store

Back