The Official Evansville @ #1 Tennessee Knoxville Super Regional Game 3 Thread (Sun. June 9th 7:06PM EST) (ESPNU)

I have the sads after today šŸ˜„
Yep. I canā€™t help but think ā€œsame ole, same oleā€ as I compare today to TN football and basketball. At least we have tomorrow. Lose this and we wonā€™t hear the end of it while everyone will pile on Coach TV.

If itā€™s a close game then weā€™re in trouble as we will press as the pressure will be all on us. This is the type old game where we need to jump on them quick, keep down the gas pedal and break their will.

Edit - but as I posted earlier, we will be Omaha bound in 24 hours.

Last edited:
People are going to talk about 2022 until they win tomorrow. It isnā€™t wrong to do that. Those parallels exist until they donā€™t. And if they donā€™t win, theyā€™ll be talking about 2022 and 2024 until they win a title. You can think thatā€™s unfair to Tony, and perhaps it is, but he signed up for that the day we gave him $100 million for stadium renovations and made him a top 3 paid coach in the country.
The Vols were clearly a top team if not the top team all season. You canā€™t lose a series at home against a lesser opponent to get to Omaha and it not leave a mark. Evansville is good, but this would be a massive choke.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
They aren't losing their bats, that's what I'm worried about. The Aces are a veteran squad, they'll come ready to play. They hit like they did today, it's going to be a battle.
Tennessee's bats should have put at least 15 runs up today against the garbage pitching they threw. The key tomorrow is to bury them with 15-20 runs.

People are going to talk about 2022 until they win tomorrow. It isnā€™t wrong to do that. Those parallels exist until they donā€™t. And if they donā€™t win, theyā€™ll be talking about 2022 and 2024 until they win a title. You can think thatā€™s unfair to Tony, and perhaps it is, but he signed up for that the day we gave him $100 million for stadium renovations and made him a top 3 paid coach in the country.

I don't think it's unfair at all. I don't think it should define him or take away from what he's done, but it's fair criticism if it happens again tomorrow.

Reactions: theroyz71
We lose a game after 8 straight wins against ncaa tournament/sec competition and the chicken little component of our fanbase seem to be rooting for a choke job. No.
Hell No. iā€™m gonna go Oddball on all of you imbeciles that are radiating those negative waves.
That bridge will be there tomorrow evening.
And it will be a beautiful bridge
šŸ§”šŸŠ GBO

Last edited:
So why do we let every single first pitch right down the pipe go without swinging?

What Volstylexx said. I'll add that there's an unfortunate baseball reality
which would only be fixed by something radical, like reducing fielders to 8,
where making contact ā€” if the ball doesn't go over the fence ā€” kinda sucks. It makes an out most of the time. BABIP hovers around 30%, which demonstrates the extent to which contact is overrated, (again, unfortunately) and especially so in 0 and 1 strike counts. (except when that contact is a bomb over the fence, of course!)

You, as the batter, have three strikes as leverage. It turns out that being very conservative in counts of 0-0, 1-0, 2-0, and 3-0 is best (that's to say, laying off of almost anything besides a fastball in your wheelhouse, i.e. your batters should have a very good SLG on zero-strike swings!!) because the worst case leaves you still having a strike to give before you go into 2-strike approach mode, but the alternative is that (1) if you make contact, you're often hitting the ball into an out [unfortunate baseball reality, so much athleticism on defense], and (2) your batters are going to foul off/swing-and-miss at pitches that the umpire was going to call a ball, keeping your batters out of the juiciest OBP, BA, SLG, etc.-favorable counts.

And all of the above is exacerbated if the pitcher your facing isn't even doing a good job of throwing strikes anyway. Make them throw strikes, and have a good 1 and 2-strike approach. Don't make contact when you don't need to, that's the direction the game is going because it's already the reality of making contact. It's so much more luck-dependent than having a good eye and working a walk.

But wheelhouse fastballs should be crushed, hopefully over the fence, no matter what the count is. :p

Last edited:
Felt like they lost their edge once they got up by 4. They have to keep their intensity up.

I partially blame the crowd for that. I know itā€™s going to rain tomorrow, but the crowd needs to stay in it all night. This team feeds off the energy of the crowd and once we got up 3-0 in the first, the crowd immediately fell asleep and became disinterested in the game today.

I partially blame the crowd for that. I know itā€™s going to rain tomorrow, but the crowd needs to stay in it all night. This team feeds off the energy of the crowd and once we got up 3-0 in the first, the crowd immediately fell asleep and became disinterested in the game today.

I hear ya, not disagreeing either, but kinda the way itā€™s been going this season. We lost. I went and did the hedges. Itā€™s a baseball game. Honestly if the stadium got as loud as it gets up in here, Iā€™d be cool with it.

We lose a game after 8 straight wins against ncaa tournament/sec competition and the chicken little component of our fanbase seem to be rooting for a choke job. No.
Hell No. iā€™m gonna go Oddball on all of you imbeciles that are radiating those negative waves.
That bridge will be there tomorrow evening.
And it will be a beautiful bridge
šŸ§”šŸŠ GBO

Donā€™t talk bad about all the keyboard coaches out there who probably never playedā€¦ā€¦ā€¦now itā€™s time to start a new win streak and roll through Omaha.

Yep.

Also likely affected him at the plate.

Hope he's well and we're back to the normal lineup tomorrow!

If so...... do they put RC back at DH or look for a bat elsewhere?
I'm done with RC Dh'ing. Anybody else.

The crowd?? I was there. Was not my damn fault!!! Great crowds all weekend. Period.

And itā€™ll be very dumb to pile on him. Bianco up until 2 years ago had been to Omaha 1x in 20 years, DVH has been 5-7x and never won, while bowing out in home regionals way more than his talent should indicate. Yet the media and general public will continue to question CTVā€™s post season acumen and make jokes about a guy who took a program coming off multiple years of 7-8 SEC wins and took them to Omaha 3x in 6 years of opportunity.

Last edited:
Welk, that was a very tough loss today my friends. And it was, at least to me, an unexpected loss and that makes it worse. But listen, that gut wrenching feeling all of you have right now, is a large part of what defines you as a fanbase. Itā€™s a passion and love for something greater than any individual, and even with a loss, thatā€™s a beautiful thing.

The Vols will bounce back tomorrow and take the series. Ultimately, today is going to serve as a bit of a wake up call, and this loss will ultimately serve as a driving force that puts the Vols over the top for their first NC in baseball. This is the adversity that great teams overcome, and yā€™all need to keep the faith. I have a ton of respect for Evansville, and those boys came to play. But, their tourney ends tomorrow!

I hear ya, not disagreeing either, but kinda the way itā€™s been going this season. We lost. I went and did the hedges. Itā€™s a baseball game. Honestly if the stadium got as loud as it gets up in here, Iā€™d be cool with it.
I had the Air Force National Guard doing maneuvers at Ellington Field so I sat in the pool and watched the fighter planes put on a show.

Definitely felt lackadaisical there for a while, me included. But i have an excuse. Today is my wifeā€™s birthday and sheā€™s working tonight so we did lunch together. I quit paying attention after we went up by 4 so fast, so I will take some blame too.

Not tomorrow dammit. I will be screaming at the tv the entire time.

VN Store

Back