The Official Gonzaga @ Tennessee Series Thread (3/3 7:00PM EST SEC NET+) (3/4 6PM EST SEC NET+) (3/5 1PM EST SEC NET+)

AD White and Donde need to promote an asses in seats campaign. It’s embarrassing.
There’s some promotion. There’s a new contest this year that’s been going out in emails to season ticket holders before each home series.

Last year on the videoboard, CTV had a pregame message about the importance of having seats occupied and talking about how easy it is to transfer tickets. Of course you have to be there to see the video, so if you’re not regularly attending, you don’t see it. I haven’t seen it this year, but that’s entirely possible that I’ve missed it (I’ve missed one game, but gave away my ticket).

I do truly wish that people who had tickets would show up or give them to people to use.

39A18D40-2390-4094-A13E-D1B86E7FA108.jpeg

Maybe not. Tornados definitely add lift to the ball.

There's surely some Paul Bunyon-esque storytellin' to be made from a supposed encounter between "Blake Burke and the Right Field Tornado."
I hate to giggle, but I did…😉

Last edited:
Reactions: VolPack22
I know the system is expected to be wrapping up about game time, but let’s take a breath and make this baseball weekend as stress free as possible. Go ahead and play a D/H on Saturday as today is expected to be memorable with very high winds, tornado warnings, flooding rain, etc

Let’s let fans worry about getting home safely and not walking across campus
EAF470A1-20A8-4BF2-A4CC-E7B7D448E3D9.jpeg

Gonzaga Bulldogs (1-7) Overall (0-0) WCC
View attachment 538929
@
Tennessee Volunteers (8-2) Overall (0-0) SEC
View attachment 538930
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Riding an eight-game winning streak, No. 2/3 Tennessee baseball team looks to keep it going with another weekend series on Rocky Top, hosting Gonzaga for a three-game series on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The Volunteers (8-2) have been on fire at the plate thus far during the homestand, recording double-digit hits in five of the seven games. That offensive charge continues to be spearheaded by Blake Burke who has homered in Tennessee's last three games and leads the team in hits, average and runs batted in. The pitching staff has been equally as locked in all season, combining for a 1.27 team ERA, a 0.74 team WHIP and a .148 team batting average against. The weekend rotation of Chase Dollander, Chase Burns and Drew Beam each hold individual WHIPs under 1.00 and have allowed 7 combined earned runs in 32.2 total innings of work.

TICKET INFORMATION
Limited tickets for the weekend series are available on a first come, first serve basis at the ticket booth two hours prior to first pitch.

BROADCAST INFO
All three games of the weekend series will stream on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app with Andy Brock (PxP) on the call Friday night and Roger Hoover (PxP) in the booth Saturday and Sunday. Cody Hawn will serve as the analyst for all three games. The online broadcast can be accessed on any mobile device through WatchESPN. WatchESPN can be accessed through the ESPN App, or online at espn.com/watch.

Fans can also listen to the Voice of Tennessee Baseball, John Wilkerson, and Vince Ferrara call the action for all three games on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/AM 990) or via a free audio stream on UTSports.com and the Tennessee Athletics Gameday App.

SERIES HISTORY
Overall: Tennessee leads, 1-0
in Knoxville: 0-0
in Spokane: 0-0
at Neutral Sites: 1-0
Last Meeting: W, 3-1 (March 13, 1992, in Seattle, Washington)

NOTABLE
BURKE POWERING THE OFFENSE EARLY ON
Sophomore slugger Blake Burke is off to a red-hot start this season, leading the team in batting average (.417), OPS (1.434), hits (15), home runs (6), RBIs (16), total bases (35) and slugging percentage (.972). Burke's six homers rank third nationally and second in the SEC behind Florida's Jac Caglianone (8). His 16 RBIs are tied for 13th in the nation, as well.

During this week's two midweek contests against Charleston Southern, Burke totaled five hits, including a pair of home runs, and drove in nine of the team's 14 runs.

After blasting 14 homers in just 95 at-bats as a freshman in 2022, Burke is already up to 20 big flies in his Tennessee career as just a sophomore and is currently averaging a home run every 6.7 at-bats for his career.

THE LNS EFFECT
Tennessee has been extremely tough to beat at home over the past two-plus years thanks in large part to having one of the best home field advantages in college baseball. The Vols are 88-16 when playing at Lindsey Nelson Stadium since the start of the 2020 season and continue to set attendance records along the way.

UT sold out 29 of its 45 home games last season and set new program records for total (181,517) and average attendance (4,221). The Big Orange has sold out four of their seven home games already this season and has posted an attendance of over 4,000 in all seven of those contests.

PITCHING PROWESS ON FULL DISPLAY
Tennessee's pitching staff has been the driving force behind the team's early-season success. The Vols enter this weekend's series vs. Gonzaga leading the country in ERA (1.27), WHIP (0.74), shutouts (three) and hits allowed per nine innings (4.45) while also ranking fourth nationally in strikeout-to-walk ratio (5.57).

UT has not allowed more than three earned runs in any game this season and has posted eight straight games allowing two of fewer runs scored. The Big Orange held Dayton to just three runs on nine combined hits over three games last weekend.

OPPONENT SCOUT
Gonzaga Bulldogs
  • 2023 Record: 1-7 (0-0 WCC)
  • 2022 Record: 37-19 (20-7 WCC)
  • 2022 Postseason: NCAA Blacksburg Regional
  • 2023 WCC Preseason Poll: 1st (6 first-place vote)
  • Head Coach: Mark Machtolf (20th season)
  • Preseason All-Conference Selections (4):
    • 3B Cade McGee, 2B Savier Pinales, OF Grayson Sterling, RHP Owen Wild
ON DECK
Tennessee plays host to Boston College for a midweek on Tuesday, March 7 at Lindsey Nelson Stadium. The game will mark the Vols' first midweek against a Power Five opponent since April 16, 2013, when they played Virginia Tech in the Hokie-Smokey Classic in Greenville, Tennessee. It will be the first midweek game against a major conference opponent played on Rocky Top since March 11, 2009, when UT hosted Louisville.

Tickets for non-conference home games can be purchased at AllVols.com.
OP UPDATED

Was the game at Tennessee Smokey Stadium last year about money?

That game was mid-April, so kinda, but not real early. But it was a cool exposure game with the wood bats an all. Regardless, it's extremely rare to see southern teams go north in February-April due to weather. You'll notice early season non-con games consist of a lot of northern teams travelling south or to places like Arizona/California/Texas. So Tennessee going to Seattle next March isn't going to happen.

Today's SEC Slate
Friday 3/3
12 Noon
Vandy @ Nebraska

4PM EST
UIC @ Bama
Indiana St. @ Kentucky
Wright St. @ Arkansas
Ole Miss @ Maryland

6PM EST
GA Tech @ UGA
South Carolina @ Clemson

6:30PM EST
Gonzaga @ Tennessee
Miami @ Florida

7PM EST
Texas Southern @ Mizzou
Lipscomb @ Auburn
Ohio St. @ Miss St.

7:30PM EST
Butler @ LSU

8PM EST
Texas A&M @ Louisville

Hourly forecast looks good after 6

We have the rest of the weekend to play 3 games. Let's let the Gonzaga guys chill in the hotel rather than get out when the weather is worst to drive to the stadium.

I suspect there will be a lot more important issues in the area AFTER the storm system than playing a baseball game. Let's just go ahead and plan for doubleheader and head off the anxiety later this afternoon. Grounds crew and , ushers, concessions crews running or standing around. Teams just sitting around in dugouts, locker rooms buses.

It's not like the game is on television broadcast.

Absolutely agree.

It’s my major frustration with UT shacking up with Ticketmaster.

TM makes it next to impossible to sell a ticket for cheap, and even when you do, their disgusting fees make it hard to deal with.

Going all digital is fine for me, but it does make it hard to move tickets outside of a broker system which was the exact intent.

I took my son to last Friday's game against Dayton with tickets I bought on Ticketmaster. There were only a handful of tickets available, so I was a little surprised to see so many empty seats at the game. They were good seats for $16 (bought 2), but the total was $50 after Ticketmaster fees. Well worth it, anyways.

I have no love for Ticketmaster, but at least you can be confident you're buying a legit ticket. 90% of the Facebook Martketplace or Craigslist listings for tickets to pretty much anything are scams. My wife trying to get Hamilton tickets was a nightmare...

BASEBALL

All feels right at the moment regarding Tennessee baseball. Skipper Tony Vitello returned to the dugout on Tuesday following a three-game suspension for the Dayton series the previous weekend. The move seemed to prompt the process of getting transfer Maui Ahuna onto the field as he was announced eligible at the beginning of the week.

As we pointed out this week, the fact that the NCAA was inquiring into the program wouldn’t rule out a potential suspension down the line for Vitello. His suspension was a collaborative effort between he and Tennessee – not the NCAA. There’s no reason at this time to think another one could be coming, but it’s worth noting Vitello was not reprimanded or punished by the NCAA.

A lot of questions have been asked about where Ahuna will be in the batting order. Simple answer, they can place him anywhere and make it work. He’s hit sixth during his first two games, but I think in the near future he could be moved up to No. 2 with Christian Moore (R) hitting third and Blake Burke (L) batting cleanup. Vitello loves to stack the order righty-lefty-righty and so on, so that could be an option. He’s repped at leadoff, second and sixth in preseason scrimmages.

It also sounds like reliever Camden Sewell is closing in on his return to the mound. He’s been held out as a precaution in the early season due to soreness.

“To a point to where it’s almost getting silly, the back-and-forth between me and Camden,” Vitello responded when asked of his availability on Wednesday. “Much sooner than later for him.”

Vitello also said Wyatt Evans has ramped it up after taking some time off with soreness. He’s close as well, but it does not appear he’s as close as Sewell to returning.

Tennessee is riding an eight-game win-streak after starting the season 0-2. The Vols will play host to Gonzaga this weekend for three games at Lindsey Nelson Stadium.
- VQ

I know the system is expected to be wrapping up about game time, but let’s take a breath and make this baseball weekend as stress free as possible. Go ahead and play a D/H on Saturday as today is expected to be memorable with very high winds, tornado warnings, flooding rain, etc

Let’s let fans worry about getting home safely and not walking across campus
View attachment 539098
Agreed, this is a very serious weather situation.

I know the system is expected to be wrapping up about game time, but let’s take a breath and make this baseball weekend as stress free as possible. ... Let’s let fans worry about getting home safely and not walking across campus
Yeah, there will still be wind after the rain passes, and you need to allow time for all the Bradford Pear limbs to snap or splinter to the ground.

VN Store

Back