The Official Libertarian/Anarcho-Capitalist Thread

I've said for years that the Libertarian party is a joke.

I think some of their ideas are good, like fiscal conservative/socially liberal and not having all the foreign entanglements. But then you run into the " Government shouldnt even build roads! No police!" type folks and most people stop listening. Human nature alone and the evil therein demands that we have some type of goverment to keep things on the rails. Our bloated government these days is a joke though. Our current course will not end well IMO.

I lean libertarian in a lot of ways. But man that Libertarian PARTY is a bunch of loons. That convention was a clown show and don’t even get me STARTED on their nominee.

People have no room to talk about libertarian lunacy when the nominees are Biden and Trump. Oh, some of them have pink hair and funny ideas? Cool.

Reactions: headhunter15
I think some of their ideas are good, like fiscal conservative/socially liberal and not having all the foreign entanglements. But then you run into the " Government shouldnt even build roads! No police!" type folks and most people stop listening. Human nature alone and the evil therein demands that we have some type of goverment to keep things on the rails. Our bloated government these days is a joke though. Our current course will not end well IMO.

The party is a joke because it refuses to build itself from the local and state level.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
The party is a joke because it refuses to build itself from the local and state level.
I have worked with a couple small "l" libertarians, and they have all said the same thing. even at the local levels they have to brand themselves as an "R" or a "D" to have a chance.

hard to build up good will when you have to slap a different label on yourself to get your foot in the door.

I have worked with a couple small "l" libertarians, and they have all said the same thing. even at the local levels they have to brand themselves as an "R" or a "D" to have a chance.

hard to build up good will when you have to slap a different label on yourself to get your foot in the door.

They are doing stuff at the local level. It doesn't work. My hometown is about as libertarian of a place as you can possibly imagine. My Mom is part of a liberty-minded political action group. I've gone to their meetings. There are 50 people there on a random Thursday night to discuss local politics and how they can influence them. A little old lady explained to me why she doesn't pledge allegiance. That's how libertarian this **** is... and it's still nearly impossible to get elected there without an R next to your name.

And if the entire focus of the LP was solely to get things done at the local level, you wouldn't notice a bit of difference.

I lean libertarian in a lot of ways. But man that Libertarian PARTY is a bunch of loons. That convention was a clown show and don’t even get me STARTED on their nominee.
The Libertarian Party is basically like a Star Trek convention except it’s not as serious and it’s less relevant.

Around here they have no interest in backing candidates for local or state offices.

They are doing stuff at the local level. It doesn't work. My hometown is about as libertarian of a place as you can possibly imagine. My Mom is part of a liberty-minded political action group. I've gone to their meetings. There are 50 people there on a random Thursday night to discuss local politics and how they can influence them. A little old lady explained to me why she doesn't pledge allegiance. That's how libertarian this **** is... and it's still nearly impossible to get elected there without an R next to your name.

And if the entire focus of the LP was solely to get things done at the local level, you wouldn't notice a bit of difference.

The Constitutional party managed to take over our county commission and school board, now they will be running some candidates for the state house. A fledgling fringe party managed to get people elected and build a base while the libertarian party ignores the concept of starting small and building.

Reactions: whodeycin85
The Constitutional party managed to take over our county commission and school board, now they will be running some candidates for the state house. A fledgling fringe party managed to get people elected and build a base while the libertarian party ignores the concept of starting small and building.

What in God's name are you talking about? This is your example of local success? LP has 7x as many elected officials.

1717000038193.png

1717000087787.png

The Libertarian party has been around over 2 decades longer than the constitutional party, they should have a hell of a lot more.

LOL, OK. Your thesis was they "refuse" and the CP was your shining example, both totally refuted. Nice pivot.

One time in your life, please say "whoops, I guess I'm wrong."

I think of a libertarian as the guy who, when pulled over by a police officer for no brake lights or speeding or whatever, refuses to roll down his window and refuses to provide his driver's license, etc., claiming the police have no constitutional right to ask for it, etc. etc. He refuses to cooperate at all. I saw a video of a guy doing this to a couple of police officers, and the standoff went on for a while. The officers then told the man that they'd requested a canine unit and, if he did not cooperate, they were going to send a dog into the car. The guy continued to rebuff the cops. The canine unit arrived, the police broke the passenger side window of the car, opened that door and sent in the German Shepherd. We next hear a lot of horrible shrieking by the man, who is then dragged out of the car with the dogs teeth firmly attached to his right arm. Hysterical.

LOL, OK.

One time in your life, please say "whoops, I guess I'm wrong."

I'm not wrong. I have tried to get the people claiming to be our local Libertarian party leadership involved in our county elections, they have no interest. And with only 170 members in some office around the country it appears that is the majority stance of the party.

Hell, the Green party (as of 2022) has 130 or so members holding office and they have only been around since the mid 80's.

I think of a libertarian as the guy who, when pulled over by a police officer for no brake lights or speeding or whatever, refuses to roll down his window and refuses to provide his driver's license, etc., claiming the police have no constitutional right to ask for it, etc. etc. He refuses to cooperate at all. I saw a video of a guy doing this to a couple of police officers, and the standoff went on for a while. The officers then told the man that they'd requested a canine unit and, if he did not cooperate, they were going to send a dog into the car. The guy continued to rebuff the cops. The canine unit arrived, the police broke the passenger side window of the car, opened that door and sent in the German Shepherd. We next hear a lot of horrible shrieking by the man, who is then dragged out of the car with the dogs teeth firmly attached to his right arm. Hysterical.
That's a soverign citizen. You're confused again

the biggest example I have was a Dem finance expert/consultant or whatever that worked with various Dems in Congress, got tired of it, stepped down from that job. went into local politics as an L, didn't get elected twice. ran on the exact same platform with a D next to his name and won.
he was able to push through several social L measures, that really just got the government out of the way of a bunch of things it shouldn't have been, but were typical D platform issues. licenses for gay marriage and all other rights and benefits of being married; removed several city ordinances that banned green tech/jobs; opened up classifications for housing in the local area; decriminalized weed, removed a cap on pay for certain jobs from minimum wage. things like that.

got elected at least once more, but maybe twice, by wide margins, then ran for state congress for that district and got shut down hard when he had to differentiate himself from various other Ds, which just shoved him into the fascist right wing camp instead of acknowledging that L was a real party.

the Ls who had to run as Rs never made it as far as he did.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Around here they have no interest in backing candidates for local or state offices.
The biggest thing I have seen is it just turns into a "no true Scotsman" issue, and the English always take over. It always bothers me that they would rather vote R or D that aligns 20% with them, rather than a L that is 80% aligned. I get that type of stance if its the choice between a 20% or a 30%, but there is typical a wider margin of difference that they will vote for with someone else than their own party, simply because of their alignment within the party.

and as stated early the media, other candidates, and just the general publics general disdain for anyone who doesn't bow and scrape to one of the two parties, without really knowing anything about the candidate or what they run on.

The biggest thing I have seen is it just turns into a "no true Scotsman" issue, and the English always take over. It always bothers me that they would rather vote R or D that aligns 20% with them, rather than a L that is 80% aligned. I get that type of stance if its the choice between a 20% or a 30%, but there is typical a wider margin of difference that they will vote for with someone else than their own party, simply because of their alignment within the party.

and as stated early the media, other candidates, and just the general publics general disdain for anyone who doesn't bow and scrape to one of the two parties, without really knowing anything about the candidate or what they run on.

My CTO ran for his congressional seat in a past election. He's a libertarian who was hand-picked by a very important, real-life conservative Republican that you all have heard of (if I say more, anybody could do simple research to find out who my CTO is) to run against a RINO for the seat. He got nowhere.

I can’t ride with the Libertarian stance on open borders.

But I like a lot of what this guy is selling…

Dig this plenty -

• I will not support any new gun restrictions and will look to repeal the restrictions that exist today.
  • I will nominate to the judiciary judges committed to protecting the right of all persons to defend themselves from aggression.
  • District of Columbia v. Heller was a seminal moment in our history, affirming not only the right of citizens to own arms, but determining that restrictions such as trigger locks are unconstitutional. I will work to extend this legal concept to all bans, such as bans on bump stocks.

Yep, this -

Immediately abolish the death penalty for all Federal crimes. Not only are mistakes sometimes made that are not discovered until the execution has been carried out, but prosecutors often use the threat of the penalty as a method for extracting confessions in exchange for more lenient sentencing. This presents ethical concerns in itself, such as innocent suspects confessing to crimes they did not commit to escape the needle, the chamber, or the chair.

Right again -

Immediately act to remove all federal laws criminalizing cannabis and end burdensome regulatory hurdles like federal banking regulations, placed on the cannabis industry.

F@&k yea, brother -

• Work with Congress to abolish the Patriot Act, which has unconstitutionally increased the powers and scope of the police and surveillance state.
  • Work to repeal the FISA Amendments Act of 2008 which serves as the legal justification for the surveillance abuses disclosed by Edward Snowden in 2013.
  • End the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), which routinely violates our civil liberties, requires airlines to become agents of Federal surveillance, and whose screening devices, both for luggage and facial recognition, repeatedly exhibit problems that are inexcusable in relation to the taxpayer dollars spent.

Yep, wish he had addressed ALL bodily autonomy-

There are many complex issues in our society which offer no easy solutions. More than a few of these issues involve individuals engaging in activities that may run counter to our personal beliefs. Outside of obvious criminal offenses such as assault, theft, or murder, it is not the role of government in a free society to prohibit such behavior, even when the majority wishes it so. For this reason, activities such as abortion are the province of individual choice and bodily autonomy.

Whew daddy, imma need a shower. Preach -

At the federal level, the best policy on education is to remove the federal government’s involvement in education. I support abolishing the Department of Education and block granting those funds back to states to be returned to taxpayers. I also support getting the government out of the student loan business so market forces can lower the cost of higher education over time.

Last edited:
You continue to show that you are dumber than the MAGA people you make fun of.

I can’t ride with the Libertarian stance on open borders.

But I like a lot of what this guy is selling…

Dig this plenty -

• I will not support any new gun restrictions and will look to repeal the restrictions that exist today.
  • I will nominate to the judiciary judges committed to protecting the right of all persons to defend themselves from aggression.
  • District of Columbia v. Heller was a seminal moment in our history, affirming not only the right of citizens to own arms, but determining that restrictions such as trigger locks are unconstitutional. I will work to extend this legal concept to all bans, such as bans on bump stocks.

Yep, this -

Immediately abolish the death penalty for all Federal crimes. Not only are mistakes sometimes made that are not discovered until the execution has been carried out, but prosecutors often use the threat of the penalty as a method for extracting confessions in exchange for more lenient sentencing. This presents ethical concerns in itself, such as innocent suspects confessing to crimes they did not commit to escape the needle, the chamber, or the chair.

Right again -

Immediately act to remove all federal laws criminalizing cannabis and end burdensome regulatory hurdles like federal banking regulations, placed on the cannabis industry.

F@&k yea, brother -

• Work with Congress to abolish the Patriot Act, which has unconstitutionally increased the powers and scope of the police and surveillance state.
  • Work to repeal the FISA Amendments Act of 2008 which serves as the legal justification for the surveillance abuses disclosed by Edward Snowden in 2013.
  • End the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), which routinely violates our civil liberties, requires airlines to become agents of Federal surveillance, and whose screening devices, both for luggage and facial recognition, repeatedly exhibit problems that are inexcusable in relation to the taxpayer dollars spent.

Yep, wish he had addressed ALL bodily autonomy-

There are many complex issues in our society which offer no easy solutions. More than a few of these issues involve individuals engaging in activities that may run counter to our personal beliefs. Outside of obvious criminal offenses such as assault, theft, or murder, it is not the role of government in a free society to prohibit such behavior, even when the majority wishes it so. For this reason, activities such as abortion are the province of individual choice and bodily autonomy.

Whew daddy, imma need a shower. Preach -

At the federal level, the best policy on education is to remove the federal government’s involvement in education. I support abolishing the Department of Education and block granting those funds back to states to be returned to taxpayers. I also support getting the government out of the student loan business so market forces can lower the cost of higher education over time.

I cannot believe the LP chose Chase Oliver as their candidate. Just goes to show there is no good political party. None.

VN Store

Back