The Official Miss. State @ Tennessee Series Thread (Thurs. 4/27 7PM EST SEC Network) (Fri. 4/28 6:30PM EST SEC Network+) (Sat. 2PM EST ESPNU)

I saw the following tonight on Twitter:

South Carolina joined the conference in 1993 so this is their 30th season. Really 29th season because of 2020 lost season. To South Carolina has been averaging well over .500 in their time in SEC. Very good. SC actually had the best record in the 1993 SEC East for the regular season and lost the SEC-East after going 0-2 in the SEC-East tourney they were hosting. Tennessee won the tourney and the East.

To show how much college baseball has changed. Tennessee's current all time record is

2,215-1,662-13 in 114 years
802-931-1 SEC record in 50th season. Not very good at all as they average below .500 per season.

A look at the record books show the lion's share of those losses came from 2006-2019 when the Vols AVERAGED 19 SEC losses per season.

Overall, Tennessee has 129 more losses than wins in SEC play. In those 13 seasons alone the difference is 111.

And I sat in the home stands at 80%+ of those freaking home losses like a moron.

Hopefully they are still at 500 after we play them.

South Carolina joined the conference in 1993 so this is their 30th season. Really 29th season because of 2020 lost season. To South Carolina has been averaging well over .500 in their time in SEC. Very good. SC actually had the best record in the 1993 SEC East for the regular season and lost the SEC-East after going 0-2 in the SEC-East tourney they were hosting. Tennessee won the tourney and the East.

To show how much college baseball has changed. Tennessee's current all time record is

2,215-1,662-13 in 114 years
802-931-1 SEC record in 50th season. Not very good at all as they average below .500 per season.

A look at the record books show the lion's share of those losses came from 2006-2019 when the Vols AVERAGED 19 SEC losses per season.

Overall, Tennessee has 129 more losses than wins in SEC play. In those 13 seasons alone the difference is 111.

And I sat in the home stands at 80%+ of those freaking home losses like a moron.

F the cocks. I still don’t really consider them part of the SEC.

But their outfield wall with NCAA tourney appearance is pretty impressive.

Lady Vols softball still sitting 2 games in first place despite losing today.

They have a final game at Arkansas Monday night and 3 final games at home against mediocre South Carolina team that is 9.5 games back in standings in 9th place.
2nd place Georgia has to go to LSU. Bulldogs have played 1 fewer game due to rainout. Tennessee and Georgia did not play in 2023.

Lady Vols' magic number is 1.5

Tennessee crossed 800 wins on Friday night against Mississippi State and now sits at 802.
2,215-1,662-13 in 114 years of baseball

Overall, Tennessee has 129 more losses than wins in SEC play and in the 13 seasons between 2006-2019 the difference is 111 more losses than wins. (136-247)

9C51925C-00E4-41BB-9298-7CA76844FDAE.gif

Lady Vols softball still sitting 2 games in first place despite losing today.

They have a final game at Arkansas Monday night and 3 final games at home against mediocre South Carolina team that is 9.5 games back in standings in 9th place.
2nd place Georgia has to go to LSU. Bulldogs have played 1 fewer game due to rainout. Tennessee and Georgia did not play in 2023.

Lady Vols' magic number is 1.5
Over/under on magic number explanations? 3 …. Tomorrow only.

This team can finish the SEC slate with a 6-3 record in the final 9.

Will it? Idk, but I expect it is almost as likely it will as it won't.

This is my over-under prediction too. Take 5 of 6 from Georgia and Kentucky, then take 1 in Columbia. Maybe we take 2 at SC and drop another to UGA/UK, but 6-3 over that span seems right. That puts us at 17-13 in the SEC and hosting. If we can get to 18 SEC wins and then win 3 or more in the SECT, then we might get in the conversation to host a Super, but that’ll be a stretch.

Reactions: spyfish007
I think we will be the team to beat in Hoover. Nobody else has the premier arms we have. We might be able to start Burns on first day. AJ Russell on next then have the starters for the rest of the week. Everybody else has 1 stud and then drop off a deep cliff. Plus we have the bullpen to help. Bats just have to learn that we need hits not HR's every at bat. The wind affects that big field tremendously.

Looking for analogs for hosting scenarios

In 2022, The SEC hosts were:
#1 Tennessee 57-9| 25-5
#5 Texas A&M 44-20 | 19-11
#13 Florida 42-24 | 15-15
#14 Auburn 43-22 | 16-13

In 2021:
#1 Arkansas 50-13 | 22-8
#3 Tennessee 50-18 | 20-10
#4 Vanderbilt 49-18 | 19-10
#7 Mississippi State 50-18 | 20-10
#12 Ole Miss 45-22 | 18-12
#15 Florida 38-22 | 17-13

In 2019:
#2 Vanderbilt 49-10 | 23-7
#4 Georgia 44-15 | 21-9
#5 Arkansas 41-17 | 20-10
#6 Mississippi State 46-13 |20-10
#12 Ole Miss 37-25 | 16-14
#13 LSU 37-24 | 17-13

Every season is different, but it appears an SEC team can with 10 conference losses will have a good chance to be a national seed (top 8) and would have a chance with 11 loss
16-14 or better would likely get you a hosting bid with a very outside shot of 15-15. However, Florida got the bid last year with some controversy and 2022 found the SEC gettign only 2 national seeds and 2 other hosting bids.

The Vols have 9 more games remaining. 6 on road and 3 at home.
5-4 "should" get the Vols a bid but 6-3 definitely will.
The Vols would likely need to go 9-0 or at worst 8-1 to get a national seed.
A good showing in Athens will give Vol fans an idea about travel plans.
There are 13 games to go in total + SEC Tournament.
10-3 would get the Vols to 40-17. No team has been national seed less than 41 wins in this time period. But 40 -17 would be a top-16 team

I think we will be the team to beat in Hoover. Nobody else has the premier arms we have. We might be able to start Burns on first day. AJ Russell on next then have the starters for the rest of the week. Everybody else has 1 stud and then drop off a deep cliff. Plus we have the bullpen to help. Bats just have to learn that we need hits not HR's every at bat. The wind affects that big field tremendously.

I agree. We get hot in Hoover and defend the title.

If we don't get a bye, game 1 is a must win. Don't you have to start whoever is the hottest at the time?.... And it may be Burns.

I think USC may be a strategic weekend where you have to figure out whether beating them is more important or saving a stud and going deep in SEC. It may be that you take a chance of losing Saturday game at USC to save an arm or two if you are not top 4 and have to make a run at Hoover. You numbers guys will definitely have a big time with that. I say just smoke them all three and save arms to make a run at Hoover. People say Hoover is not a big deal but I think if you win it, it is with the ones who decide seeding.

That sounds like a tremendous plan. Hope to see it.

I think USC may be a strategic weekend where you have to figure out whether beating them is more important or saving a stud and going deep in SEC. It may be that you take a chance of losing Saturday game at USC to save an arm or two if you are not top 4 and have to make a run at Hoover. You numbers guys will definitely have a big time with that. I say just smoke them all three and save arms to make a run at Hoover. People say Hoover is not a big deal but I think if you win it, it is with the ones who decide seeding.

I think it would be hard to not consider the SEC tournament champion as a national seed.

Tennessee crossed 800 wins on Friday night against Mississippi State and now sits at 802.
2,215-1,662-13 in 114 years of baseball

Overall, Tennessee has 129 more losses than wins in SEC play and in the 13 seasons between 2006-2019 the difference is 111 more losses than wins. (136-247)

Your patronage during the down years is appreciated. Moving forward you will be OGFrye to me.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back