The Official Tennessee @ Alabama Series Thread (Fri. March 15 8PM EST SECNET+) (Sat. March 16 8PM EST SEC NETWORK) (Sun. March 17 2PM EST SEC NETWORK)

Our pitching has to get better. We have to get batters out when we are ahead in the count. Leaning on contact pitching isn't going to get us where we want to go. Way too much good contact. Not enough movement on the ball to get into ground out or pop flies.

Our batting with runners in scoring position has to get better. Individually, we need to get better at seeing curveballs and either not swinging at junk balls or getting solid contact on one that find the zone. Only waiting on fastballs and swinging junk balls when the fastballs don't come isn't going to work.

I trust in Tony. Hell, I think secretly he is pleased that he can use Saturday and Sunday as motivation for the team after our 17-game winning streak.

All three of the batters that batted last showed pitiful plate discipline. The Bama pitcher never threw a ball that would have been a called strike. Very difficult to hit a pitch off the ground.

Just a thought here………. Wonder why Stamos was pulled? Especially since Bama seemed lefty stacked in their lineup. Maybe they saw something to pull him. Just thought we went to Snead awful quick. Maybe someone can elaborate?

We weren't swept, so there's that. It's hard to win on the road. I still liked how competitive we were overall, even after Bama got that three run homer. Had opportunity, just didn't capitalize. Welcome to life in the league. Learning experience for all, but especially for our newcomers.

We weren't swept, so there's that. It's hard to win on the road. I still liked how competitive we were overall, even after Bama got that three run homer. Had opportunity, just didn't capitalize. Welcome to life in the league. Learning experience for all, but especially for our newcomers.
Yeah they don't quit that's for sure. Smarter hitting from Villeneuve and the other guy at least gets us into extra innings most likely

Reactions: TN_gal

Agreed, a good showing that was very close to a great one.

Snead left on the mound a bit too long & some bad ABs to bail them out with loaded bases.

Just have to make the new arm work more there, all the pressure is on him.

We should be really good at home and must take advantage of sweeps when they are there.

Every road series is loseable and that was one of the easier ones on paper.

Sorta feels like folks put lots of weight in pitching and hitting. In the losses, you have to make fielding up there right?

We scored 6 runs and had bases loaded in the 9th, we lost a 1 run game, on the road and in the last two days we’ve kicked, dropped balls, missed tags…point is…all correctable. Sunday pitching lingers as an issue until it doesn’t.

Winning today or losing today only matters if we end up on the bubble. Gotta fix it.

GBO!!!

How did DD show terrible discipline when he took a walk?
Did you see his AB? He swung at about 5 pitches that were not close to strikes & all he could do was foul them off. He was fortunate that 4 pitches were not even close.

Ted Williams said the first secret to hitting is “get a pitch you can hit”. None of those three did that.

I think they already know what they have in Snead with how much he has pitched. I don’t think if they took him out it would have changed that fact. But it’s whatever. It’s one series. I’m not worried. Just sucks to lose the first series of the year, especially after the basketball game on Friday.
It does suck and it doesn’t help that it was bama.
🤢

Agreed, a good showing that was very close to a great one.

Snead left on the mound a bit too long & some bad ABs to bail them out with loaded bases.

Just have to make the new arm work more there, all the pressure is on him.

I think we will be fine in the long run after Russell get stretched out. It will hopefully put less pressure on Snead. Agreed that he was left in too long today. That’s on Coach V.

Several players in our lineup need to have better plate discipline and that will come over time. There’s still a lot of season left.

There’s always an adjustment to SEC league play. If there was any overconfidence from our players coming into league play, this brings them back to reality a bit.

Have to put this behind us and get ready for Xavier in the midweek (which is a dangerous team) and then have to focus on the home series with Ole Miss next weekend.

I still like where our team is at compared to this time last year.

Yep folks forget the goal in SEC play is win your home series and don’t get swept on the road and you end up 20-10 and hosting come regionals.

VN Store

Back