***The Official US Open Thread***

The USGA just ruins the game. They take all the fun out of for the players and the fans. It's terrible to watch. What makes it worse is the garbage commercials about "why we're young" and how they are pushing to make the game fun and enjoyable for all. As stated before, I like Merion Golf Club. Under a regular set up the course is still tough and still requires excellent ball striking and great putting, but the USGA comes in, shrinks the fairways and doesn't have a first cut until Sunday (when said first cut was as thick as Master's deep rough). Rolling greens and fairways to make it more ridiculous only adds to it. It's not fun to watch and you can tell the players don't enjoy their rounds. Just stupid golf. I only watched the first hour or so of live coverage and then the final five holes. Even then I was barely paying attention.

Their dogged defense of Par is just silly. Nobody thinks a major championship is diminished because the winner gets to -7 or -8.

Their dogged defense of Par is just silly. Nobody thinks a major championship is diminished because the winner gets to -7 or -8.

Good shots should be rewarded with chances to score, not chances to hopefully survive.

The USGA just ruins the game. They take all the fun out of for the players and the fans. It's terrible to watch. What makes it worse is the garbage commercials about "why we're young" and how they are pushing to make the game fun and enjoyable for all. As stated before, I like Merion Golf Club. Under a regular set up the course is still tough and still requires excellent ball striking and great putting, but the USGA comes in, shrinks the fairways and doesn't have a first cut until Sunday (when said first cut was as thick as Master's deep rough). Rolling greens and fairways to make it more ridiculous only adds to it. It's not fun to watch and you can tell the players don't enjoy their rounds. Just stupid golf. I only watched the first hour or so of live coverage and then the final five holes. Even then I was barely paying attention.

I don't know what we were arguing about. My beef was with the setup of the course from the get go, along with some of the weird nuances. From the high rough to narrow fairways. 240 yard par 3's with pins tucked behind bunkers. A finishing hole that didn't allow a single birdie in 2 rounds as a finishing hole. I just didn't like it, and though the course on a normal summer day may be entirely different and a little more fun, that's not what we saw this weekend. They ruined any character that the course had, imo, and didn't represent the course that you and others say deserves high praise and respect.
You have to remember, that's the first time many of us have seen the course, so its setup this week was all some of us had to go by, from a visual standpoint and forming an opinion.

I don't know what we were arguing about. My beef was with the setup of the course from the get go, along with some of the weird nuances. From the high rough to narrow fairways. 240 yard par 3's with pins tucked behind bunkers. A finishing hole that didn't allow a single birdie in 2 rounds as a finishing hole. I just didn't like it, and though the course on a normal summer day may be entirely different and a little more fun, that's not what we saw this weekend. They ruined any character that the course had, imo, and didn't represent the course that you and others say deserves high praise and respect.
You have to remember, that's the first time many of us have seen the course, so its setup this week was all some of us had to go by, from a visual standpoint and forming an opinion.

And that's all I told you for however many countless posts. The USGA came in and made a laughingstock out of a great course. They tightened the fairways, took away a first cut, rolled the greens, rolled the fairways and made impossible to attack hole locations. The course and tourney being a joke had nothing to do with Merion Golf Club, it was all about what the USGA did to it. Just like they did with just about all the other courses the past well over a decade now or so.

Bill, I thought you liked it because it was tiger proofed. At any rate, that's why I asked the initial questions about what the course brought to the table because I obviously didn't like what I saw, and still thought the entire tourney pretty much sucked because of it.

It was a nice course that was ruined by a joke setup. No par 4 should be 500 yards. Missing a fairway by 10 feet should never leave you in shin high rough. No first cut. Widen the damn fairways. No par 3 should be over 240 yards.

Bill, I thought you liked it because it was tiger proofed. At any rate, that's why I asked the initial questions about what the course brought to the table because I obviously didn't like what I saw, and still thought the entire tourney pretty much sucked because of it.

The course itself is Tiger proofed. I like the course, it's phenomenal. But, as they always do, the USGA made a joke of it and basically made it unwatchable.

The course itself is Tiger proofed. I like the course, it's phenomenal. But, as they always do, the USGA made a joke of it and basically made it unwatchable.

I'd be interested to see it with it's normal layout and rough. It's a shame that's the only picture of it many of us will have in our heads. I don't know anything about the way the course is laid out and plays, outside of what I saw the last 4 days. Most people that watched are like that as well.

I'd be interested to see it with it's normal layout and rough. It's a shame that's the only picture of it many of us will have in our heads. I don't know anything about the way the course is laid out and plays, outside of what I saw the last 4 days. Most people that watched are like that as well.

Then if you're not willing to do your homework as Dooz suggested to you, I suggest you quit watching US Opens.

Then if you're not willing to do your homework as Dooz suggested to you, I suggest you quit watching US Opens.

That's sage advice. Thanks very much. Google the course before I watch, so then watching it won't suck as much because when the Open isn't there, the course is different and easier. Got it. Great point again. I had no idea.

That's sage advice. Thanks very much. Google the course before I watch, so then watching it won't suck as much because when the Open isn't there, the course is different and easier. Got it. Great point again. I had no idea.

No again, you're totally missing the point. No surprise though.

Quit watching US Opens because you aren't going to like what they do to any course and it's going to ruin the whole thing for you like it did here.

That said, next year will be interesting. Not only is it at #2, so tradition and the power of Pinehurst itself will likely butt heads with the USGA, but the LPGA will hold their US Open right after it, also at #2. They probably can't mess the course up too much, just so that the ladies will still have a good course to play at.

No again, you're totally missing the point. No surprise though.

Quit watching US Opens because you aren't going to like what they do to any course and it's going to ruin the whole thing for you like it did here.

That said, next year will be interesting. Not only is it at #2, so tradition and the power of Pinehurst itself will likely butt heads with the USGA, but the LPGA will hold their US Open right after it, also at #2. They probably can't mess the course up too much, just so that the ladies will still have a good course to play at.

No, I didn't miss the point. I haven't missed any of your points. The usga effs up courses for the Open. No joke. They try to have the toughest test for golfers and make them use every aspect of the golf game. I've been watching golf for 20 years in person and on tv, but I haven't seen the carnival of a tourney they put on this weekend, and I haven't seen so many good shots punished in a major before.

How was Merion any different from Winged Foot or Oakmont? It looked the exact same to me.

How was Merion any different from Winged Foot or Oakmont? It looked the exact same to me.

Watching approach shots land 15 yards into a green only to wind up falling off the front 30 yards was eerily familiar.

I'm sure things were similar. I just didn't remember so many gimmicky holes like I listed earlier, and don't remember finishing holes like yesterday.

VN Store

Back