***The Official US Open Thread***

It's a shame that someone needs to finish birdie birdie to tie at plus one. I very much enjoy the challenge of the US Open, but I hate to see an over par finish.

It's a shame that someone needs to finish birdie birdie to tie at plus one. I very much enjoy the challenge of the US Open, but I hate to see an over par finish.

Be careful. Those are fighting words. But add that the finishing hole is basically impossible to birdie, and you have a US open that won't be won or tied on the last hole with a birdie.
That sure is exciting.

It's what the USGA does. They want the winning score around par & will do what they have to do in order to accomplish that, no matter how stupid.

Be careful. Those are fighting words. But add that the finishing hole is basically impossible to birdie, and you have a US open that won't be won or tied on the last hole with a birdie.
That sure is exciting.

Par 4, 511 yards that has been birdied 11 out of about 400 times this week. Seems fair. :crazy:

Tough to maneuver the ball big from a lie like Phil has. Only shot is a hard slider that runs to the hole.

Props to Phil for giving it a chance.

Insane he had that many putts and two doubles yet still had a chance.

Forget the winning total being over par. There were only 15 guys in the field that got in at less than +10.

I don't know why people have to see numbers in red to think its fair. They all played the same course and its a major. Its supposed to be challenging.

Meanwhile, Mickelson had four wedges in his bag and no driver, with s 500 yard hole to end it. He used the wedge to hole out. But he could have sure used a driver on the 72nd hole.

Reactions: 1 person
Double bogies on Sunday will kill anyone's chance of winning. Tough round for Lefty.

I don't know why people have to see numbers in red to think its fair. They all played the same course and its a major. Its supposed to be challenging.

Meanwhile, Mickelson had four wedges in his bag and no driver, with s 500 yard hole to end it. He used the wedge to hole out. But he could have sure used a driver on the 72nd hole.

He had five. But I agree, it's not necessary. I just don't like seeing the best players on the planet reduced to over par on a course setup. The US Open brings a special challenge, beating "Mr. Par," as my golf pro said was gonna be my toughest competitor.

because the level of chicanery that it takes to keep 150 professional golfers from breaking par ceases to be a fair test.

As far as the Driver comment- he was carrying basically a 12-13* 2 wood. Wouldn't have mattered on 18.

VN Store

Back