The only way we lose to Oklahoma

plenty of ways we can lose this game.

Its an away game.
its our toughest game so far this season.
they are getting some top guys back healthy, and will probably play better than we have seen this year.
We listen to the smoke being blow up our butts.
they have just been prepping for our game the whole time.
Yeah, I hope we are not getting over overconfident. We really have not been tested yet.

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Absolutely! Anyone that thinks this will be easy has lost their mind. Not to mention everyone and their Mom is betting on the Vols. That's rarely a good sign. Vegas is either gonna get killed on this game or make an absolute killing. Say what you want and be overconfident all you like, but we are NOT blowing them out and will be very lucky to get out with a Dub. I hope like hell I'm wrong and we win by 30, but likely not happening.
IF turnovers are equal and no key injuries, I think that we will win by 10 to 14. The logic is that our defense will be that much better against their offense than their defense against our offense. Please note the bolded if !!

I think if the refs let their DBs get away with grabbing and holding like Georgia did against us in '22 then this will be closer than many of us are hoping and Nico will need to scramble for yards.
Hendon missed 5 deep shots by 1 step in that game. Wasnt just holding, it was the pressure that threw the timing off.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
This game will be decided in the trenches. They have big guys up front, and so do we. Playing the game at home gives the Sooners an edge. I think this will be a tight game. Nobody strolls into Norman and blows them off the field.
To be fair that’s because they have hardly ever played anyone worth a damn. Weak ass schedules being in the big 12. These clowns think they’re gods gift to football and have an inflated sense of accomplishment because they beat TN in their worst stretch in history.

plenty of ways we can lose this game.

Its an away game.
its our toughest game so far this season.
they are getting some top guys back healthy, and will probably play better than we have seen this year.
We listen to the smoke being blow up our butts.
they have just been prepping for our game the whole time.

I’d buy this if they had a pulse offensively.

This game comes down to the crowd. If we can come out and jump on them we can take the crowd out early like we did LSU. If that crowd gets to our vols this could be a long night. Venables defense is fairly...fancy. Anything that makes our offense take a few more seconds per snap helps them. This is true vs everyone but I think more about this game. These guys disguise a lot of coverages and blitzes but if you snap it before they can adjust that kills them.

Keys to the game in order
1 Establish the run early
2 Don't let them on the board early
3 Make Arnold beat us with his arm. Arnold is good for about 1 pick a game.
4 force turnovers while not committing turnovers.
5 Get the crowd out of the game ASAP.
Excellent analysis.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Did everbody hear about and see the replays of officiating last week? Since we have the edge rushers, I think it's going to be the officiating that hurts us the most. It looked to me like you can't even tackle the QB from the way they were calling it. So, you make a great play and give the other team a first down and possibly get kicked out of the game. We're heading towards flag football.
Stop bringing up the refs for crying out loud.

Yeah, I hope we are not getting over overconfident. We really have not been tested yet.

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
It’s time to stop thinking like we are doormats stuck in the Butch or Pruitt era. It’s time for us to start thinking like powerhouse teams do. It’s time to start thinking like we are gonna dominate every team we play.

I think this team has so much senior experience and staying power, that we could rally from an early gaffe such as OU jumping a flat pass for a pick six, getting a D leader lost due to a targeting, getting an O leader lost due to injury ... I think this team could eke out a road win despite all that.

If you have this thought, then, it is not about NICO at all. It is about preparation and coaching. IOW, CJH has probably ran through every defensive scheme Venables can throw at him and has probably picked the play selection to counter it. I don't think NICO will see much of anything that CJH has already planned for in this game.
I'm sure CJH has thought of and coached Nico on every possible scenario . I bet CJH has trained Nico when to slide , but he still doesn't slide . With age and maturity he will learn when to slide . Young QB's make mistakes , the great ones learn fast and try not to make the same mistake twice . I think Nico is a great one . Unfortunately his youthful mistakes could cost us a game or two this year . On the other hand his youthful confidence , bravado and extreme talent could win us a game or two , that we may have otherwise lost . I hope it's the latter . GO VOLS !!

Last edited:
If we don't show up to the game. The only reason we lost to them in 2016(?) is because of incompetent coaching.
That was 2015.

Coaching - We don't kick 1st qtr FG's on 4th & goal from the 1yrd line while the score is tied 0-0 anymore.

Another big reason was depth.
DT - Shy Tuttle and Kahlil McKenzie ended up playing over 50 (or 60) snaps each that game. They were visibly gassed, practically staying on one knee between plays in the 4th qtr.
Curt Maggit got hurt. We couldn't contain Baker after C. Maggit got hurt. Baker kept rolling right and extending plays in the 4th with C. Maggit out.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Stack the box and play man coverage??? Yes, please do that. Bru/brazzell/thornton/white + Nico will eat good after the game while they watch espn highlight reels of themselves on their phones. Please please please stack the box and try to play man coverage.
I really hope they do this so Nico can have his first video game stat line against a quality opponent lol.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
We looked great in two scrimmages and a neutral sight game , it's the stage and the fact that he is a relatively untested redshirt freshman OB , that will be under an enormous amount of pressure. I hope he's geared for it , but in all honesty we don't know yet .
On the flip side Oklahoma has a freshman QB too!

VN Store

Back