The Purdue Pharma Sacklers

Everyone has known forever that oxy is addictive. It's nothing new. Oxytocin is simply time released hydrocodone.
Your autocorrect changed it to oxytocin, which is a hormone . OxyContin is an extended release oxycodone. While oxycodone and hydrocodone are somewhat similar, oxycodone is considered more potent.

oxytocin has nothing to do with the poppy plant at all, nor is oxycontin time released hydrocodone
Autocorrect changed it.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Autocorrect changed it.

that damn autocorrect!
but yea, oxycontin is just time released oxycodone. Derivative of thebaine, the stranger chemical found in opium. Hydro is made from codeine, i think

Everyone has known forever that oxy is addictive. It's nothing new. Oxytocin is simply time released hydrocodone.

Not true bud , but not far off.

Oxycontin is massive doses of "time released" Oxycodone (commonly known as Percocet at much, much lower doses). The only thing making them time released was a coating...that would easily remove by water or saliva...which then was like taking 4x to 20x a normal dose of Oxycodone. If a person has ever had many surgeries etc they will tell you that for severe pain hydrocodone (Vicadin) wont touch the pain. Oxycodone will though. Its much stronger per Mg, but also gives folks a much more noticeable high and is much more addictive.

Oxycontin should have never been prescribed to anyone except cancer patients etc who were either terminal, or folks who were already so opiate tolerant that addiction and dependence were already present and the Oxycontin was just a means to keep them from being in severe crippling pain all the time until they could get surgery or simply died. Dependence and addiction after a month or less on Oxycontin was nearly certain. It destroyed millions of lives in this country between addicts and their family members....because it is absolutely Drugstore Heroin.

Unfortunately I've had 2 major back surgeries and had to deal with all manner of pain pills over the years, my BIL and his wife just abused pain pills for fun. He died from an overdose last year...his wife is now a prostitute in Asheville, and now my wife is (mostly) raising 3 out of 4 of his kids. The other one is grown. Good times.

Oxycontin is massive doses of "time released" Oxycodone (commonly known as Percocet at much, much lower doses). The only thing making them time released was a coating...that would easily remove by water or saliva...which then was like taking 4x to 20x a normal dose of Oxycodone. If a person has ever had many surgeries etc they will tell you that for severe pain hydrocodone (Vicadin) wont touch the pain. Oxycodone will though. Its much stronger per Mg, but also gives folks a much more noticeable high and is much more addictive.

Oxycontin should have never been prescribed to anyone except cancer patients etc who were either terminal, or folks who were already so opiate tolerant that addiction and dependence were already present and the Oxycontin was just a means to keep them from being in severe crippling pain all the time until they could get surgery or simply died. Dependence and addiction after a month or less on Oxycontin was nearly certain. It destroyed millions of lives in this country between addicts and their family members....because it is absolutely Drugstore Heroin.

Unfortunately I've had 2 major back surgeries and had to deal with all manner of pain pills over the years, my BIL and his wife just abused pain pills for fun. He died from an overdose last year...his wife is now a prostitute in Asheville, and now my wife is (mostly) raising 3 out of 4 of his kids. The other one is grown. Good times.
I don't know many families this hasn't affected.

Sorry to hear man. I had back surgery for a herniated disc. They prescribed me 120 oxy but the majority of the pain was gone as soon as I woke up from surgery. I think I took maybe 15-20 and flushed the rest. That **** will get you.

I was prescribed oxycontin when I had my tonsils removed at 47 yo. Didn't take them. My brother in law, a pharmacist said it was such a low dose that it wouldn't be an issue. Still.didnt take them. They had me on liquid hydrocodone every 4 hours. I did take that stuff until I couldn't stand it any longer.

It’s hard for me to point fingers at the patient that is told by their doctor the drug they’re being prescribed is safe and non addictive. Then becomes addicted by taking the drug as prescribed.
Maybe but I knew any of those opiates are addictive. I didn't take the oxys because of it.

You’re smarter than the average bear.

Purdue didn’t throw darts at the map when deciding where to roll the drug out, they picked those areas for a reason.
If you're telling me people are stupid, in general, no argument from me. I refuse to believe people believed you couldn't get addicted to an opiate. I also refuse to believe that doctors believed it too.

If you're telling me people are stupid, in general, no argument from me. I refuse to believe people believed you couldn't get addicted to an opiate. I also refuse to believe that doctors believed it too.
You refuse to believe stupid people thought they could not get addicted to an opiate? Read that again.

You refuse to believe stupid people thought they could not get addicted to an opiate? Read that again.
Not all people are stupid. I used to know a guy that was injured and prescribed opiates. This was back in the late 90s. He became addicted. He ended up having to get help. He was able to get clean and put his life back together. A few years later he was in a car accident. He broke his back, no paralysis but as with those injuries quite a bit of pain. Same doc that prescribed him opiates, knew his addiction, still prescribed him opiates again. His life completely went off the rails. Lost his wife and young child, job, was arrested for theft. Fled the state. The doc holds a lot of the blame but the guy could have said he didn't want them. He shares the blame as well.

Granted, I've not followed this as much as I probably should have but why is pharma to blame. (I hate big pharma) . Should we hold brewers accountable for alcoholics? To me Dr's have more power over amounts and dosage than manufacturers.

Granted, I've not followed this as much as I probably should have but why is pharma to blame. (I hate big pharma) . Should we hold brewers accountable for alcoholics? To me Dr's have more power over amounts and dosage than manufacturers.

There's a book and miniseries - Dopesick; it gives a pretty good accounting for what Purdue Pharma was doing. Some of the issue gets back to the FDA no longer conducting drug trials and leaving that up to drug manufacturers - with the FDA not getting involved in the process or asking too many questions. Purdue was working up fancy charts about dosage, safety, and efficacy; as I recall they had a habit of playing with the scales to distort the safety aspects. They also kept coming up with stronger "safe" strengths as people became more addicted and bodies weren't responding as well to the earlier dose. The Sacklers knew what they were doing both in how they were deceiving doctors and the FDA and that they were counting on addicted patients to keep the demand going - and going for stronger doses.

Depending on the severity of your pain, other comorbid conditions, opiates may be your only option.

This is the sad truth. For chronic severe pain we don't have anything BUT opiates. NSAIDs like ibuprofen and naproxen only work to reduce inflammation in mild cases and for things like muscle soreness etc. For people who have pinched nerves such as from bulging discs or bone fragments like i had....opiates are the only thing that would touch it. My sciatic nerve (large nerve that runs from spine down to your heel and controls an entire leg) was 70% impinged (smooshed) by bone fragments wedged between my vertebrae. They removed 1 fragment the size of a pencil eraser. Then fused the bottom 3 vertebrae together with titanium rods and screws. Finally got rid of most of my back pain. Heres the problem: that was my 2nd back surgery. Before my garbage Bluecross insurance would help pay for EITHER of my 2 surgeries i had to 1st go thru physical therapy...then have injections straight into my spine with steroids (twice) all of which had at least 6 months of wait time between them. Of course ALL of this time i had to take doctor prescribed opiates just to be able to walk and function, i am a construction superintendent and spend most of my time at work on my feet and outside. So from when i went on pain pills before my 1st injections and surgery until after recovery from my 2nd surgery.....took about 6 years. 6 years of taking pain pills everyday. Studies show that just taking the weakest common opiates (hydrocodone) for 30 days causes addiction and physical dependence in a big chunk of people. Between a third and half of them maybe 40% IIRC.....what about 6 years of taking them 3 times a day as prescribed...plus Oxycodone after both surgeries for a while? I never stood a chance. The only question was whether I could beat the addiction....not whether or not i was gonna be addicted and physically dependent (which are 2 different terrible things). While my primary care Dr prescribed me all those pills, there really was no alternative. I blame my insurance company for dragging a process out 6 years that should have been maybe 1 year. I also blame myself for all the trouble i have had getting off of them over the years. My Dr just used the only tool available to help me function and support my family.

Reactions: EasternVol and AM64

VN Store

Back