The Red Line: Part Deux

Then McCain fires back saying Cruz is uninformed:

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) told reporters that Cruz sounded “totally uninformed” in his comments and that there is “overwhelming” evidence that the Free Syrian Army is still the dominant opposition force on the battlefield, not terrorists. McCain met with the army’s leader, Gen. Salim Idriss, in June.

“This is based on this assumption that they’re all extremists,” McCain said. “That’s just false, totally false. That’s someone that’s totally uninformed.”

Wonder if Cruz stole that line from Kucinich or vice versa

I am sure both are crapping their pants trying to make sure they were first over the other. Nothing says political humor like a YouTube video or a meme showing a photoshopped love fest between Cruz and Kucinich.

Putin says he can work with Obama

Putin having a change of heart?

Putin doesn't want to get too involved with Syria and he knows the writing is on the wall. The US is going to strike and he's just giving himself an out down the line when he then decides to do nothing in response. He'll criticize the US for it, but he won't take any action and say its because he has seen evidence Assad did use chemical weapons.

Ted "O Canada" Cruz is playing the anti-Muslim card here, reminding everyone that the opposition forces are Muslim groups, with varying degrees of anti-American sentiment behind them. Not surprising he would do that, but also kind of oversimplifies things.

Reactions: 1 person
Putin doesn't want to get too involved with Syria and he knows the writing is on the wall. The US is going to strike and he's just giving himself an out down the line when he then decides to do nothing in response. He'll criticize the US for it, but he won't take any action and say its because he has seen evidence Assad did use chemical weapons.

Ted "O Canada" Cruz is playing the anti-Muslim card here, reminding everyone that the opposition forces are Muslim groups, with varying degrees of anti-American sentiment behind them. Not surprising he would do that, but also kind of oversimplifies things.

Because John McCain said so?

Kucinich said the exact same thing as Cruz - was he too playing the anti-Muslim card?

Reactions: 2 people
Putin knows if Assad falls Russia's position in the Med drops. Their naval base in Syria is all but closed. It was their biggest asset to assert a presence there and to be politically relevant in the region. Take that away and Russia really is neutered in this whole area. Putin's whole position is to reassert Russia into everything and be a big player again. It's all personal ego and national reputation at this point.

Syria's violated UN resolutions for years. The Syria Accountability Act signed by W actually stated Syria supported and allowed volunteers to go into Iraq and attack US soldiers there. The Iraq and Syria comparisons are legit. They may not match perfectly but there is enough evidence to say the bar on both are pretty close - and enough who have voted on action for one to apply that same bar to the other. Not to mention the bar that was set on Syria in 2003 has already been set. Consistency of Congress and the GOP must be applied just as much as it is applied to Obama.

What about learning from past mistakes?

What about learning from past mistakes?

As I said in another topic, if that was actually stated it would be different. But almost every single one of the elected members of Congress coming out against Obama are doing so for partisan reasons. VERY few are actually using a 'lesson learned' argument. When you come out and solely say "we have NO business being there" and in 2003 say "we have EVERY business being there" you are just as much at a loss of credibility as Obama.

The standard in 2003 (red line if you will) set by almost every member of Congress and signed by W was the possession of WMD's and the continued attempt to develop more and the means to deliver them. This same red line stated that because of the above standard alone Syria's possession was a threat to the region and a national security threat to the US. I have yet to see ANY of those who signed their name to this in 2003 say "oops, we made a mistake" and say they personally changed their position. It's all partisan pot shots at Obama instead.

As I said in another topic, if that was actually stated it would be different. But almost every single one of the elected members of Congress coming out against Obama are doing so for partisan reasons. VERY few are actually using a 'lesson learned' argument. When you come out and solely say "we have NO business being there" and in 2003 say "we have EVERY business being there" you are just as much at a loss of credibility as Obama.

The standard in 2003 (red line if you will) set by almost every member of Congress and signed by W was the possession of WMD's and the continued attempt to develop more and the means to deliver them. This same red line stated that because of the above standard alone Syria's possession was a threat to the region and a national security threat to the US. I have yet to see ANY of those who signed their name to this in 2003 say "oops, we made a mistake" and say they personally changed their position. It's all partisan pot shots at Obama instead.

I thought the 2003 resolution was to help prevent flight of the WMDs from Iraq into Syria and, if that failed give us a reason to chase them wherever they ended up.

I thought the 2003 resolution was to help prevent flight of the WMDs from Iraq into Syria and, if that failed give us a reason to chase them wherever they ended up.

The 2003 Act (different from resolution) had many parts. It had to do with equipment and personnel GOING INTO IRAQ killing American soldiers (act of war by most standards), Syria's involvement in Lebanon, Syria's violation of UN resolutions, Syria's possession and development of WMD's, etc.

The 2003 Act (different from resolution) had many parts. It had to do with equipment and personnel GOING INTO IRAQ killing American soldiers (act of war by most standards), Syria's involvement in Lebanon, Syria's violation of UN resolutions, Syria's possession and development of WMD's, etc.

Got it, couldn't remember if it made to "Act" level, was too busy getting ready for Afghanistan and anything outside of Central Asia (i.e. everything in the ME) was more of a minor curiosity for me back then.

Funny how Obozo is back peddling that statement since Assad called his bluff. What a puss we have as POTUS

It is important that he de-personalize this for the GOPers facing primary challenges. If its too much about that comment by him, then it puts pressure on current members to vote no because, otherwise, their TP primary challengers can say that they voted to get Obama off the hook.

Heck, you see here in this forum already a thread about Boehner and Corker "siding with" Obama.

Reactions: 2 people
Of course, its always someone else not him that is wrong.

For the Big Zero, it has always been: (1) it was Bush's fault, (2) it was the fault of the Republicans, (3) I didn't know, (4) I can't control my Administrative branch, it is beyond my control, (5) it was caused by racism, etc.

And now it is “the world's fault!” This man has no shame, accepts no responsibility for errors or wrongs.

And yet, He was right there with Seal Team 6 in capturing OBL. But he couldn't be bothered when our embassy in Benghazi was overrun.

The man is a fool.

Last edited:

He has graduated from “It’s Bush’s Fault” to a global “It’s Y’all’s Fault!”

I actually think even he is agreeing with you now that the "red line" comment was a mistake.

You are saying it was a mistake because now it commits us to act.

He is saying it was a mistake because it gives you the opportunity to make that political claim, even if in reality he would take this action regardless of having made it.

For the Big Zero, it has always been: (1) it was Bush's fault, (2) it was the fault of the Republicans, (3) I didn't know, (4) I can't control my Administrative branch, it is beyond my control, (5) it was caused by racism, etc.

And now it is “the world's fault!” This man has no shame, accepts no responsibility for errors or wrongs.

And yet, He was right there with Seal Team 6 in capturing OBL. But he couldn't be bothered when our embassy in Benghazi was overrun.

The man is a fool.

Let the world take care of it.

And yet, He was right there with Seal Team 6 in capturing OBL. But he couldn't be bothered when our embassy in Benghazi was overrun

The man is a fool.

He was with Reggie Love "playing cards" (probably strip poker) and had to get there in time for a photo op.

Background Conference Call by White House Official on Syria | The White House

April 25, 2013
We go on to reaffirm that the President has set a clear red line as it relates to the United States that the use of chemical weapons or the transfer of chemical weapons to terrorist groups is a red line that is not acceptable to us, nor should it be to the international community.
On your red line question, it is absolutely the case that the President's red line is the use of chemical weapons or the transfer of chemical weapons to terrorist groups.
So again, it’s precisely because we take the red line seriously that we feel like there needs to be clear, factual, evidentiary basis for our decisions
And the people in Syria and the Assad regime should know that the President means what he says when he set that red line.

If bombing another sovereign country, who hasn't attacked us or threatens our national security interests, isn't war, what is?

If bombing another sovereign country, who hasn't attacked us or threatens our national security interests, isn't war, what is?

an overseas contingency operation resulting in a man caused disaster

VN Store

Back