"The Vols have to travel across the country" saying

HvilleCommando

In regards the Oregon game, I can't tell you the amount of times I've seen people write us off not just because of Oregon's superior talent and home field advantage, but because the "Vols also have to travel across the country."

Why is this such a point of emphasis? Flight time to Oregon is roughly a 4-5 hour flight... What about this trip, and a longer flight is a reason for it to be brought up in every single article I've read in regards to UT's game against Oregon?

Is there really that much of a difference in sitting in a flight to Gainesville and a flight to Eugene except for couple more hours sitting in a plane?

Edit: Here's just the latest quote of many I've seen with Adams saying our most likely upset being Georgia and eliminating Oregon.. "It’s probably safe to eliminate Oregon. Not only will the third-ranked Ducks have the home-field advantage, the Vols will have to fly all the way across the country."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Jet lag does make a difference and Eugene is a lot further from Knoxville than Gainesville.

The 12:30 local time start helps negate the jet lag a little bit though since it's 3:30 eastern. Better than a local start at 7 which would be 10 pm to our players.

Oregon also plays in Virginia in week 2. Hopefully we get to Oregon early enough that they can adjust a little.

There's also a huge difference between a championship caliber team and a team that didn't go to bowl game last year. We will almost certainly lose. It won't be because of jet lag.

Just don't get boat raced.

Yes- this is where we are right now.

Jet lag does make a difference and Eugene is a lot further from Knoxville than Gainesville.

The 12:30 local time start helps negate the jet lag a little bit though since it's 3:30 eastern. Better than a local start at 7 which would be 10 pm to our players.

Is this the confirmed game time? Sorry if it's already been discussed at length.

"Analysts" have to have something to talk about, whether such things are meaningful or not.

A) Oregon does not have superior talent, I don't understand why I have to point it out in almost every one of these threads, recruiting rankings are almost identical over the last 4 years.

B) While Jet lag can be a factor in many settings. Between the national audience they will be playing in front of, The intensity CBJ and staff bring to the table and the revenge factor.. I simply can not see this being a factor.

C) They no longer have the coach that got them national recognition. Even if Oregon's new coach is just as good as Kelly, It will still effect the team in a negative way.

UT comes out on top in this game....

Reactions: 7 people
Great college football teams play very well anywhere they travel whether it be cross country or 2-3 states over. No excuse for not playing well when on the road. How long has it been since UT won a road game?

A) Oregon does not have superior talent, I don't understand why I have to point it out in almost every one of these threads, recruiting rankings are almost identical over the last 4 years.

B) While Jet lag can be a factor in many settings. Between the national audience they will be playing in front of, The intensity CBJ and staff bring to the table and the revenge factor.. I simply can not see this being a factor.

C) They no longer have the coach that got them national recognition. Even if Oregon's new coach is just as good as Kelly, It will still effect the team in a negative way.

Good luck with that.

Reactions: 9 people
Jet lag? they arent going to China.... I just doubt you would have much jet lag if at all to be a factor in a game just from going from Eastern to Pacific...

In before some hilarious witty original person says "I'll have some of what you're smoking!"

(That saying has always pissed me off for some reason)

....... but seriously........ take the orange glasses off for a minute. You said the recruiting rankings have been the same in the last 4 years, they played us 3 years ago.... and they destroyed us.

You can't really look at recruiting rankings over the last 4 years and draw a straight comparison.

In before some hilarious witty original person says "I'll have some of what you're smoking!"

(That saying has always pissed me off for some reason)

....... but seriously........ take the orange glasses off for a minute. You said the recruiting rankings have been the same in the last 4 years, they played us 3 years ago.... and they destroyed us.

But UT is the only program in college football that could possibly have a great new coach.

Let me also state that I would be ecstatic to be wrong about this. I hope that I turn out to be dead-wrong.

Reading through the thread has been fairly exhausting. I can see the point about the longer flight being a disadvantage.

This is what preseason is for.

Can you imagine the hype/ confidence we would have rolling into the Swamp if we were able to knock off the Ducks in Autzen?

the great debate will be settled in 2013.

does tennessee have a bunch of talent, but were losing because they were lead by an incompetent moron of the highest order?

or

was tennessee losing due to a combination of poor talent (at least in spots) lead by colossal ignorance and stupidity?

Reactions: 2 people
the great debate will be settled in 2013.

does tennessee have a bunch of talent, but were losing because they were lead by an incompetent moron of the highest order?

or

was tennessee losing due to a combination of poor talent (at least in spots) lead by colossal ignorance and stupidity?

I highly doubt that debate will be settled in 2013.

VN Store

Back