"The Vols have to travel across the country" saying

No kidding! Damn fade. Hell, Dooley would have kept it close for at least a half!

New QB, new WRs, new offense, slow LBs, subpar DBs all on the road against a top 10 team. Now, somebody else try to convince me we can keep it close.

I've read studies before that it takes your body 1 day to adjust to each hour in time change. So a 3 hour change can make a difference, of course not as big as flying overseas.

You mean to tell me that if you drive to Nashville from Knoxville, it would take you a day to recover? Hmmm

You mean to tell me that if you drive to Nashville from Knoxville, it would take you a day to recover? Hmmm

Haha. Obviously 1 hour isn't going to be a big deal.

People complain all the time when daylight savings happens and that's just an hour difference without even having to travel anywhere.

Last edited:
the great debate will be settled in 2013.

does tennessee have a bunch of talent, but were losing because they were lead by an incompetent moron of the highest order?

or

was tennessee losing due to a combination of poor talent (at least in spots) lead by colossal ignorance and stupidity?

What debate? We had two first rounders last year.

And probably two more this year.

Our problem had been depth, coaching and experiance

We may have fixed one... But depth across the board this year is suspect, and experiance is even worse outside a few positions.

Edit: Ok only 1. But Hunter was close!

A) Oregon does not have superior talent, I don't understand why I have to point it out in almost every one of these threads, recruiting rankings are almost identical over the last 4 years.

B) While Jet lag can be a factor in many settings. Between the national audience they will be playing in front of, The intensity CBJ and staff bring to the table and the revenge factor.. I simply can not see this being a factor.

C) They no longer have the coach that got them national recognition. Even if Oregon's new coach is just as good as Kelly, It will still effect the team in a negative way.

UT comes out on top in this game....

I've got an island I'd like to sell you

They aren't flying in on Sat and going straight to the stadium. They'll most likely get there Thurs or early Fri to adjust.

This. You guys with the jet lag aaallllll the waaaayy to Oregon. They aren't getting directly off the airplane and directly walking on to the playing field. I might buy jet lag if that were the case. I want to win in Oregon too but if we lose it will be because their players are better prepared than ours. They have been in the same system for their whole careers. Our guys have had multiple coaches and systems to try and learn. Butch and the players need time in this system to perfect it. Come game day I will be cheering my ass off for them but jet lag will be a non-factor. Get out of here with that garbage.

Haha. Obviously 1 hour isn't going to be a big deal.

People complain all the time when daylight savings happens and that's just an hour difference without even having to travel anywhere.

Only when they have to wake up earlier. When they get to sleep in longer they praise it. Going East to West, they get to sleep longer.

A) Oregon does not have superior talent, I don't understand why I have to point it out in almost every one of these threads, recruiting rankings are almost identical over the last 4 years.

B) While Jet lag can be a factor in many settings. Between the national audience they will be playing in front of, The intensity CBJ and staff bring to the table and the revenge factor.. I simply can not see this being a factor.

C) They no longer have the coach that got them national recognition. Even if Oregon's new coach is just as good as Kelly, It will still effect the team in a negative way.

You obviously were napping while Oregon's speed guys have been leaving opponents in the dust the past several years. BTW, this is the same time period UT was chasing guys with average or above average speed, (but far less than Oregon's).

Reactions: 1 person
Jet lag will only be an issue if players "think" it's an issue. Most likely effect would be of freshman or those who've never traveled a few time zones before. I traveled this country on business for 30 years and "Jet lag" is a non-issue in lower 48 states. Only when you go to Asia or Europe, then jet lag can be an issue.

Well, it's slightly better than "I have a feeling".

But not by much.

In regards the Oregon game, I can't tell you the amount of times I've seen people write us off not just because of Oregon's superior talent and home field advantage, but because the "Vols also have to travel across the country."

Why is this such a point of emphasis? Flight time to Oregon is roughly a 4-5 hour flight... What about this trip, and a longer flight is a reason for it to be brought up in every single article I've read in regards to UT's game against Oregon?

Is there really that much of a difference in sitting in a flight to Gainesville and a flight to Eugene except for couple more hours sitting in a plane?

Edit: Here's just the latest quote of many I've seen with Adams saying our most likely upset being Georgia and eliminating Oregon.. "ItÂ’s probably safe to eliminate Oregon. Not only will the third-ranked Ducks have the home-field advantage, the Vols will have to fly all the way across the country."

Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, we lose a lot of PAC-12 away games. I remember us losing to UCLA because of our punter. Losing to UCLA because of Ainge.
Losing to Cal Berkley because we weren't prepared. Losing to UCLA because Colquitt was injured during the first series of the game.

Our record against PAC 12 team when we travel is not good. I know we are fully capable of beating them but for some reason we usually don't.

Is there a way to save a thread?

They aren't flying in on Sat and going straight to the stadium. They'll most likely get there Thurs or early Fri to adjust.

This. The 4-5 hour flight is meaningless. It will have 0 impact on the way we play. The game could be at 12 a.m. PST and it still wouldn't affect the players. It's absurd to think that a group of 18-23 year old kids are going to be nodding off at halftime because of a 3 hour time zone difference and a cross country flight.

They'll have time to adjust, and nerves/excitement/adrenaline will overrule any possible effects of jet lag.

i love my vols but u guys can dissect why we MAY lose this one all day. one, and moat important reason is that oregon is deep and fast as hell.

forget time constraints. they ran over us in knoxville.

now with that defeatist bull**** outta the way. our vols always play to their competition. and those ducks better be in a row, cause this is butch ball. no &##!?n or doolsley.

its a new era.

Lets be honest with each other, none of us have any idea whether or not our vols will win the Oregon game. Gbo.

If we're taking in jet lag, etc. Then the ducks will be tired from their flight to Virginia the weekend before... I don't really get it either OP

Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, we lose a lot of PAC-12 away games. I remember us losing to UCLA because of our punter. Losing to UCLA because of Ainge.
Losing to Cal Berkley because we weren't prepared. Losing to UCLA because Colquitt was injured during the first series of the game.

Our record against PAC 12 team when we travel is not good. I know we are fully capable of beating them but for some reason we usually don't.

Please explain this. ^^^^ When did Ainge lose against UCLA?

VN Store

Back