These 5 Vol players decisions will determine 2024 hopes.

I hate to be "that guy" but I have a hard time seeing it. He's shifty, but I don't recall seeing him run away from defenders. He did make two of the most spectacular catches of the year. But I don't think he has close to Hyatt-level speed on the field. Never seen Matthews play, so idk about him.
Squirril has been timed in the 40 at 4.37 seconds, Hyatt at 4.40. However, me having wathced both of them play Hyatt just looks much fasster than Squirril.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Squirril has been timed in the 40 at 4.37 seconds, Hyatt at 4.40. However, me having wathced both of them play Hyatt just looks much fasster than Squirril.
How do you differentiate .03 of a second? How is that level of measurement accomplished?

Is there a committee similar to the CFP?

And Cheeses man please learn to spell.

How do you differentiate .03 of a second? How is that level of measurement accomplished?

Just the 40 yd times they both had, I just thought Hyatt looked faster than Squirrill.

None of these guys are getting drafted this year. All will likely return. I’d be surprised if they didn’t.

It does feel like all of them are going to return. I know there was talk about Omar Norman-Lott and Big O coming back well. Not sure if there is an update on that.

The fate of the entire season will not rest on those guys. lol. Just the fact that somebody other than Milton will be under center next year greatly increases the likelihood of having a better season. But I would expect most of those guys to return. In fact, Spraggins and pill have already announced they are intent to return. I fully expect mays to be back as well. Bru would be great and I honestly believe it’s in his best interest to return as well.

Might not want to put all your eggs in the Pili basket. Remember, just because he applies for a medical doesn't mean the NCAA will grant it. Even if they do, I'd bet the farm that they'll slow play him and cost him the first 2 or 3 games of the season next year. He'll definitely miss the NC St. game. Just the way the NCAA deals with us. If he played for bama, he'd be eligible in 24 hours. One thing is for sure, they'd better make a decision and get the paperwork in asap. Gonna need every single day.
Pili has gotten his waiver.

Football has changed so much over the last few decades; but one central truth still remains; you win or lose in the trenches
You don't win with a "game manager" at QB anymore. You have to have a top tier QB or you are an also-ran at best, even with very good linemen.

You don't win with a "game manager" at QB anymore. You have to have a top tier QB or you are an also-ran at best, even with very good linemen.
You can win with a game manager QB if you have overwhelming talent elsewhere. It isn’t easy but still possible.
That said, teams like Tennessee that don’t stack five stars will not be able to do it

You can win with a game manager QB.
Name one top 5 team the last 4 years with a game manager QB. I never thought Saban would opt for an athletic QB over a game manager, but he saw the light (starting with Hurts) and Bama has remained near the top as a result. If Saban doesn't go with game managing QB's.....

Name one top 5 team the last 4 years with a game manager QB. I never thought Saban would opt for an athletic QB over a game manager, but he saw the light (starting with Hurts) and Bama has remained near the top as a result. If Saban doesn't go with game managing QB's.....
Stetson Bennett at GA

Reactions: OrangeTsar
I think some are saying Hyatt is fastest in NFL.
He's fast but not cheetah fast. These guys have him ranked 7th

7) Jalin Hyatt, WR, New York Giants​

Jalin Hyatt ran the most disappointing 4.40 in the history of the NFL Combine. It was a peculiar result considering his 1.5 10-yard split landed in the 97th percentile while his 20 and 40-yard splits hovered around the 94th percentile. And yes, that was disappointing.

Because anybody who watched Hyatt play knew he was capable of much, much more. College wide receivers run past safeties and cornerbacks all the time. There are silly coverage gaffes in every game that make it look like a DB is in quicksand. But Hyatt did that to Alabama, and while there were some issues in coverage, his dominance was athletic in nature. He simply has another gear over anyone else he’s shared the field with.

Hyatt’s not a very good receiver at this point. In order to become a reliable target, there’s a lot he must improve upon, even as a more one-dimensional downfield threat. Nevertheless, Hyatt’s speed will immediately help the Giants’ offense situationally because he will occupy safeties downfield and open up the middle for Daniel Jones and the passing attack.

0.03 seconds is a lot but it really comes down to splits. as described above... Hyatt was really fast for the first 10 yards which si good for getting off the line but compared to others between 20-40 he leveled out.

this is the difference of 0.04
1702405579144.png

Thats the difference between being covered and wide open. Actually, Barkley and Ridley are 0.03 still a good bit of distance

0.03 seconds is a lot but it really comes down to splits. as described above... Hyatt was really fast for the first 10 yards which si good for getting off the line but compared to others between 20-40 he leveled out.

this is the difference of 0.04
View attachment 601664

Thats the difference between being covered and wide open. Actually, Barkley and Ridley are 0.03 still a good bit of distance
A Coach told me most know the 1st 10 yards are what means the most, but it has always been so hard to measure. Because you cut the yardage down and the quick start or jumping the start and not getting caught false starting, could change the order of finish. I'm not sure the straight line 40 tells you a whole lot finitely, when you're judging elite athletes that are 100th of seconds apart. Where actually on the field a wiggle here a hesitation there an arm movement or head juke can be the difference between separation and no separation. I think the straight-line speed is just a good starting point, that says if this guy gets the ball behind the D nobody will run him down.

A Coach told me most know the 1st 10 yards are what means the most, but it has always been so hard to measure. Because you cut the yardage down and the quick start or jumping the start and not getting caught false starting, could change the order of finish. I'm not sure the straight line 40 tells you a whole lot finitely, when you're judging elite athletes that are 100th of seconds apart. Where actually on the field a wiggle here a hesitation there an arm movement or head juke can be the difference between separation and no separation. I think the straight-line speed is just a good starting point, that says if this guy gets the ball behind the D nobody will run him down.
Exactly. 2 guys might run a 40 differently. Using 3 very different guys as examples all 3 are sub 4.4 guys

Jalin Hyatt 6' 185 Straight line speed
Tyreke Hill 5'10" 191 Very stocky and shifty. Elusive even
DK Metcalf 6'4 235 Size and straight-line speed

Of the other 2 Hyatt is more like Metcalf than Hill overall. Because both he and Metcalf are 'stiff' straight-line speed guys IF you looked at Metcalfs 10 yard split it would be the worst but once he starts going its like a train. Hyatt and Hill win off the line. The big difference is change of direction. Notice the one thing that stands out is Hill unlike the other 2 has returned kicks and punts in college and the pros. Neither Metcalf or Hyatt has ever returned a kick or punt from college to the pros. They are straight-line speed guys. Metcalf gets away with his stiff hips with his insane size and strength. Hill is the full package and Hyatt to this point is a one-trick pony. He is very good at the one trick.

Getting back on topic somewhat I think Squirrel is more like Hill than Hyatt. In he has that change of direction and versatility and can run any route. I think end of day he is a better overall prospect than Hyatt at this point.

end of sophomore season stats
White 4 tds 94 catches 1245 yards
Hyatt 4 tds 41 catches 502 yards
career
Hyatt 19tds 108 catches 1769 yards

White may not catch up on TD's this season but he will, if healthy, beat him in every other stat easily, and he can return punts. I think Squirrel white is the x-factor for this season. So by that Bru Mccoy and Thornton returning is gonna be a huge factor on if we are successful. A healthy Bru and Thornton with a year of offense under his wing open up the field for Squirell to get all squirrelly.

So my top 5 would be
Mays
Spraggins
Bru
Thornton
and I'll lump the DT's together we need 2 of the 3 to come back

Reactions: KTrain
You guys are comparing apples and oranges. Hyatt's 4.4s 40 time was on a suspect hamstring if I remember correctly.

VN Store

Back