Thoughts Entering NCAAT

If we dont make the sweet 16 with draw we got, would be a huge failure for Barnes and the Vols. We should roll St. Peter’s and should beat the 7-10 winner on Saturday. Just my viewpoint. We need to bring it!

Reactions: lefthander
This team is like a box of chocolates. Never know what you're gonna get from night to night. They just have been too inconsistent for me to have high hopes. They can beat any team in this tournament but can also lose to quite a few teams as well. We have 3 teams in our region that we already lost to this season. I don't see us getting past the sweet 16, and that second game against what looks to be Texas may be the one that sends us home.

Thoughts from me are pretty simple. If Aidoo plays well, we’ll be hard to beat. Everything else falls into place when he plays well. If he’s average to below average, we won’t last long.

Definitely should be able to make it to the sweet 16.

Creighton is a big name but the Vol should handle them.

Revenge time comes against Purdue in the elite 8. Getting to the Elite 8 would be somewhat of a success for these men

However, a very successful year would be taking down Purdue and going to the final 4.

Imo, if this team loses before the sweet 16, that would be a total and utter failure of a season.

Revenge time comes against Purdue in the elite 8. Getting to the Elite 8 would be somewhat of a success for these men

However, a very successful year would be taking down Purdue and going to the final 4.

Imo, if this team loses before the sweet 16, that would be a total and utter failure of a season.
We go out second round.

Reactions: DarkVolder
I just hope Coach Barnes gives the guys room to rest, mentally and physically, rather than go full bore on constant practice and film. They looked worn down the last few games. Maybe trust that you have a good team, who has spent the whole season preparing to play as a team, and rather than go harder, just - give them a little room to keep their minds clear and their heads on straight.

I'm trying to project what I expect my Vols to do in the NCAAT and have been conflicted. Obviously, the last 2 games have sucked and we have historically performed poorly in the tourney.

But the last two games have not been our typical play this year and were preceded by a long run of wins. Some of those wins were high intensity elite wins and some were against teams comparable to lower seed NCAAT teams. Then I think about how most of this roster played deep into the NCAAT last year without a PG due to ZZ's injury and lost due to not having enough offensive firepower. I think about how competitive we were early this year against multiple top programs while learning to play together (same for our competition). We lost a few but also won some good games including beating the teams playing for B10 tournament championship.

We had huge away wins in conference play and were dominant again at home. We lost a few games to unranked but talented, athletic and physical teams that were able to muddy up the game. It's concerning but we also won some games against those type of teams and won the regular season championship of the most physical/athletic conference in the country.

Overall, I feel much better going into the tournament this year than I did last year. We rarely have multiple losses in a row under Barnes and typically go on a run after we do. Knecht can take over and won't be as scouted by non-SEC programs. I think we get farther this year as a 2 seed than we have in program history.....not sure what but I think we break that F4 ceiling this year and who knows from there. We only have a couple of possible games against the type of physical teams that give us trouble. Win those and we have a legit title shot.

JJJ and Vescovi need to provide consistent scoring options in this tournament and Aidoo and Awaka need to play bully ball inside for the Vols to enjoy a long run.

The talking heads seem to really like us which makes me very nervous. Seems to me the keys to our defeat are too clear… intimidate us inside the paint and shutdown dk to the extent that you can. On the other hand, if you don’t do that we can beat almost anybody.

Totally have no clue as to what’s gonna happen but all things considered I like where we landed…

GBO

Thoughts? We will be as successful as DK is.
Only partly. You can't advance very far in tournament play if you're literally a one or two man team which we are right now. You have to get everyone clicking. And on any given day, even a superstar can be off. No, this team will only go as far as JJJ, Vescovi and Aidoo takes it. Got zero expectations for those guys showing up in back to back games much less a streak of 3 or more.

The tournament will be determined by matchups.
We do not play well vs teams with big athletic C/F types.
Miss St was a good example. I wish we still had Uros. He
was not an all-star, but he was NEVER intimidated. We have
as good a chance as anyone to win it all. We just need some
breaks to go our way.

Didn't see Miss. State game but why doesn't Barnes play Awaka and Aidoo togther against teams with some bruisers, and then sit either Vescovi or James? I think Awaka played only 9 minutes against Miss. State. Aidoo is as much 4 as a 5 anyway.

If we dont make the sweet 16 with draw we got, would be a huge failure for Barnes and the Vols. We should roll St. Peter’s and should beat the 7-10 winner on Saturday. Just my viewpoint. We need to bring it!
Unfortunately Texas will have us talking about baseball.

Texas will bring out the utter failure.

1st thought: Make sure to have another device or open other tabs like ESPN Gamecast and Volnation for the many commercials we'll be exposed to.

2nd thought: Lower expectations for the people and teams I'm rooting for and just enjoy the tournament with whomever I'm watching it with.

Any team could beat UT right now however, same could be said of entire cast of suspects in the SEC.

If kids get pissed (for last two games and losing #1 seed) and play w some fahr in their bellies, their talent is easily enough to make it to the Sweet 16 and Final 8. After that, it's all just luck

VN Store

Back