'24 TN LB Edwin Spillman (Tennessee)

were-waiting-angry.gif

Where are Edwin and his brother from? In the video he said he’s been with his brother since they came to the US.

They are from Sierra Leone. Saw a stat that said 53% of Sierra Leone's population makes less than $1.25 per day. They would have never had the opportunity to come to play football if they didn't go through the missionary orphanage program that they did. Crazy to think about, and shows that God works in crazy ways
Also shows how lucky we all are to live in America and how thankful this Memorial Day we should be for those who died for our freedom! GBO!

Last edited:
The moment that Jeremy and Melissa Spillman traveled to Sierra Leone and first laid eyes on brothers Foday, Abdulrahman and Sufian Bendu is one they'll never forget. A decade later, the memory still brings tears to their eyes. The three brothers were all under the age of 5 when their father died in an accident and their mother made the difficult decision to give them up for adoption.

...Nate gets quiet when his biological father comes up in conversation. It's still something that hurts him and his brothers. Their father Osman was a rice and peanut farmer, who would travel by ferry (basically a giant canoe) once a month to Freetown, the capital of Sierra Leone, to sell his crops at the local market. One day when he and 16 other farmers were making the four-hour trip, a storm rolled in and capsized the canoe. Every man on board died in the accident, leaving behind several wives and nearly 40 children.

...Nate, Edwin and Bennett remained with their mother Konima. While Konima did everything in her power to raise the boys without their father and without an income, the task was too much to handle and she had to make the heartbreaking decision to take them to 'The Covering' — an American-funded orphan care center in Freetown. "What I remember about Sierra Leone was just really having to worry about survival and making sure my brothers were all right," Edwin said. "When we went to the orphanage, it was just the three of us together so we focused on making sure we were good individually, but also making sure each of our brothers was fine."
From Sierra Leone to Lipscomb Academy: Spillman brothers' hard road to Power Five prospects

They are from Sierra Leone. Saw a stat that said 53% of Sierra Leone's population makes less than $1.25 per day. They would have never had the opportunity to come to play football if they didn't go through the missionary orphanage program that they did. Crazy to think about, and shows that God works in crazy ways
Miraculous even.

The moment that Jeremy and Melissa Spillman traveled to Sierra Leone and first laid eyes on brothers Foday, Abdulrahman and Sufian Bendu is one they'll never forget. A decade later, the memory still brings tears to their eyes. The three brothers were all under the age of 5 when their father died in an accident and their mother made the difficult decision to give them up for adoption.

...Nate gets quiet when his biological father comes up in conversation. It's still something that hurts him and his brothers. Their father Osman was a rice and peanut farmer, who would travel by ferry (basically a giant canoe) once a month to Freetown, the capital of Sierra Leone, to sell his crops at the local market. One day when he and 16 other farmers were making the four-hour trip, a storm rolled in and capsized the canoe. Every man on board died in the accident, leaving behind several wives and nearly 40 children.

...Nate, Edwin and Bennett remained with their mother Konima. While Konima did everything in her power to raise the boys without their father and without an income, the task was too much to handle and she had to make the heartbreaking decision to take them to 'The Covering' — an American-funded orphan care center in Freetown. "What I remember about Sierra Leone was just really having to worry about survival and making sure my brothers were all right," Edwin said. "When we went to the orphanage, it was just the three of us together so we focused on making sure we were good individually, but also making sure each of our brothers was fine."
From Sierra Leone to Lipscomb Academy: Spillman brothers' hard road to Power Five prospects

That’s crazy.

Reactions: Glitch
The same word popped into my mind when I read that. I'm trying to develop a habit, at least in speaking about my own life, to change the word "lucky" to "blessed." It does alter one's perspective.

1685325319336.gif

in all seriousness, luck and coincidence are two words I have stopped using several years ago, neither of those things actually exist.

VN Store

Back