'19 TN OL Melvin McBride (Tennessee signee)

Thank goodness it wasn't that gator.

ArtisticGlisteningJanenschia.gif

The basketball will help a lineman just like soccer helps a big man in basketball.
Basketball teaches footwork and teaches you to run. Both are hard for linemen. If only he were also a wrestler to.
Want him

I didn't play basketball so I don't know what you mean by non athlete

If you wanna see what benefits basketball can have for an ol, go watch the clip of Darnell Wright containing a speed rush around the edge at the elite 11 last weekend. That was a direct benefit of him also playing basketball still at his size.

Reactions: 2 people
Played more like a rollerblader.

People criticizing Coleman Thomas playing in the Butch Jones system at UT are plain ignorant. The kid never had an OL coach here. Remember Butch Jones told Sam Pittman to hit the road and he was bringing in “the best coaching staff in America.”

Reactions: 4 people
people criticizing coleman thomas playing in the butch jones system at ut are plain ignorant. The kid never had an ol coach here. Remember butch jones told sam pittman to hit the road and he was bringing in “the best coaching staff in america.”

I just brought him up to stir the pot bc he was a pretty decent basketball player in high school. Point being just playing basketball or wrestling isn't enough... sometimes people are just higher level athletes. Footwork etc doesn't matter when you can't get a hand on the other guy anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
People criticizing Coleman Thomas playing in the Butch Jones system at UT are plain ignorant. The kid never had an OL coach here. Remember Butch Jones told Sam Pittman to hit the road and he was bringing in “the best coaching staff in America.”

Simmer down skippy.

Reactions: 2 people
If you wanna see what benefits basketball can have for an ol, go watch the clip of Darnell Wright containing a speed rush around the edge at the elite 11 last weekend. That was a direct benefit of him also playing basketball still at his size.

seems a stretch. I doubt he sucked at OT before he started playing basketball.

seems a stretch. I doubt he sucked at OT before he started playing basketball.

You assume he played football before basketball? Also I didn't imply he sucked before. But the footwork he showed on that rep looked like a basketball player playing defense.

You are 100% right. This is why I’m not willing to count out any of the players on the current roster, especially OL.

You assume he played football before basketball? Also I didn't imply he sucked before. But the footwork he showed on that rep looked like a basketball player playing defense.

He took more than one step and didn't plant his feet tho

it was how I was reading your assumption.

not arguing the overall point. just wondering if its a chicken/egg thing.

it was how I was reading your assumption.

not arguing the overall point. just wondering if its a chicken/egg thing.

Usually kids play basketball first so I assume he did and i know he still does which in my opinion looks like it really helps him with his lateral quickness.

three-star rising senior offensive lineman melvin mcbride of whitehaven high school in memphis, tenn., said he's scheduled to return to tennessee on july 28 to attend the vols' cookout, and he admitted tennessee is one of three schools standing out to him. The 6-foot-2, 300-pound mcbride, who has received scholarship offers from more than 15 teams, said the vols, arkansas and louisville currently are at the top of his list, with florida, south carolina and memphis also in the running.

Before making the trip to tennessee later this month, he said he's also hoping to attend a similar event at arkansas on july 27. Mcbride earned an offer from tennessee last month with a strong showing at the vols' camp on june 14. He also picked up an offer from florida on the same day tennessee extended an offer to him, and arkansas gave him an offer two days later.

Memphis hosted him on his first official visit in late may. Last month, he attended tennessee's camp near the end of a road trip that also took him to clemson, south carolina, georgia and vanderbilt. Last month, mcbride told govols247 that he was planning to wait until “sometime during” the season to announce his college decision. “fall, that’ll be the best time to do it, because right now is kind of busy,” he said at the time.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back