Top 10 QB Battles in CFB

volsfansince4387

10. Tennessee Volunteers

It sounds as if Justin Worley is fairly entrenched as the favorite, but the Volunteers are worth mentioning because freshman Josh Dobbs eventually could make this a race. I brought Dobbs up to a Tennessee staffer last week, and he said he believes Dobbs has as much desire to learn as any Vols quarterback since Peyton Manning.

Worley, a junior from Rock Hill, S.C. -- whom both Clemson and South Carolina passed on -- played some the past two years in Tyler Bray’s absence, but there is no visual or statistical evidence to demonstrate he will hold the job until his eligibility expires. Plus, Tennessee has a seven-week stretch that includes Oregon, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Alabama. That would be difficult for any new full-time QB to survive without aid.

One SEC coach told me the Vols were going to struggle so much on offense that it could look at the idea of playing Dobbs two different ways. On one hand, why not? It would be good to go ahead and get him reps. On the other, it could be a shot to a young guy’s

-Travis Haney, ESPN Insider

I get that Dobbs could be really good, but why does everyone (some media included) immediately discount Peterman? He was a HUGE get in recruiting, and CBJ heavily recruited him for Cinci. My money is on Peterman to eventually supplant Worley (who will be starter at the beginning of the season). And I like Worely as a QB.

Reactions: 3 people
UT needs to play for the future play dobbs now give him the reps by next year he will be deadly, worley looks to be average at best which would have been fine with the last coaching staff.....

Reactions: 1 person
I get that Dobbs could be really good, but why does everyone (some media included) immediately discount Peterman? He was a HUGE get in recruiting, and CBJ heavily recruited him for Cinci. My money is on Peterman to eventually supplant Worley (who will be starter at the beginning of the season). And I like Worely as a QB.

Peterman was not a huge get in recruiting. He's a solid prospect, but nothing more.

UT needs to play for the future play dobbs now give him the reps by next year he will be deadly, worley looks to be average at best which would have been fine with the last coaching staff.....

Jim Chaney is a good QB coach. I hardly see him being happy with mediocre QB play.

Reactions: 2 people
I personally hope neither Dobbs or Ferguson see the field this fall. Between Worley and Peterman, I think we can make it through the season.

Reactions: 5 people

Butch has 4 QBs each of whom is better than all of Florida's. Butch has never had such luxury. If he's smart, he draws from Fulmer's experience w Schaeffer and Ainge. Play em all and keep the D guessing. Even though these kids don't have a lot of playing time, they know how to play football. Manziel hadn't taken a snap at this time last year.

Butch has 4 QBs each of whom is better than all of Florida's. Butch has never had such luxury. If he's smart, he draws from Fulmer's experience w Schaeffer and Ainge. Play em all and keep the D guessing. Even though these kids don't have a lot of playing time, they know how to play football. Manziel hadn't taken a snap at this time last year.

I don't think any reasonable person who follows college football would say that Worley and Peterman are both better QBs than Driskel.

Reactions: 2 people
This qb battle sort of reminds me of the AJ Suggs, Joey Matthews, Casey clausen year back in 2000.

VN Store

Back