Top 10 QB Battles in CFB

bray also got most of his good stats from beating up the cupcakes for three years.

You'll find that to be true of every good QB in the country. Far superior stats vs poor teams, sometimes atrocious vs the best. Everybody fattens stats vs 'cupcakes'. Kiffen used that fact to get Crompton drafted. Take a look at Manziel vs LSU; Tajh Boyd vs. South Carolina, etc. If they had to play that level all year, they would have pathetic stats. In fact, look at everybody against South Carolina. Compare Bray vs South Carolina to Boyd, Murray, and Wilson against them.

I stand by my statement: if you're going to start adding drops into the equation, Bray had more dropped TDs, big plays, and clutch first downs than anybody I've seen at UT (and I've been watching for a long while).

I think a lot of people keep bringing up Peterman and especially Dobbs because we have a spread offense. But the great thing about Butch's system is it can be tailored to a pocket passer or a dual threat type guy. Worley must be doing something right to be continually referenced as the starter. Either way I feel pretty good about our future at the QB position. All of these guys have potential. We will win lots of football games at Tennessee under Coach Jones

I get that Dobbs could be really good, but why does everyone (some media included) immediately discount Peterman? He was a HUGE get in recruiting, and CBJ heavily recruited him for Cinci. My money is on Peterman to eventually supplant Worley (who will be starter at the beginning of the season). And I like Worely as a QB.

I think this situation is not easily predictable.

If in 1994, we looked at the season, we might have thought that Colquit would be the started with Helton being his back up and Manning and Stewart as red shirts.

However; during that season, all four of those quarterbacks ended up starting in games. Colquitt started against UCLA. Helton started 4 games. Manning finished the Miss State game. Stewart started one game and Manning finished the rest as the starter.

I see Worley being the starter and sharing time with Peterman. I see Worley losing his starting job prior to the South Alabama game and Peterman being the starter for us against South Alabama.

However; should Peterman struggle against any teams on the remaining schedule, CBJ could insert Dobbs... At that point Dobbs, could take the starting job.....

Those are a couple of scenerios that could happen!

10. Tennessee Volunteers

It sounds as if Justin Worley is fairly entrenched as the favorite, but the Volunteers are worth mentioning because freshman Josh Dobbs eventually could make this a race. I brought Dobbs up to a Tennessee staffer last week, and he said he believes Dobbs has as much desire to learn as any Vols quarterback since Peyton Manning.

Worley, a junior from Rock Hill, S.C. -- whom both Clemson and South Carolina passed on -- played some the past two years in Tyler Bray’s absence, but there is no visual or statistical evidence to demonstrate he will hold the job until his eligibility expires. Plus, Tennessee has a seven-week stretch that includes Oregon, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Alabama. That would be difficult for any new full-time QB to survive without aid.

One SEC coach told me the Vols were going to struggle so much on offense that it could look at the idea of playing Dobbs two different ways. On one hand, why not? It would be good to go ahead and get him reps. On the other, it could be a shot to a young guy’s

I can not believe no one has talked about this aspect, an athletic Peyton Manning! If true this could be big.

I think this situation is not easily predictable.

If in 1994, we looked at the season, we might have thought that Colquit would be the started with Helton being his back up and Manning and Stewart as red shirts.

However; during that season, all four of those quarterbacks ended up starting in games. Colquitt started against UCLA. Helton started 4 games. Manning finished the Miss State game. Stewart started one game and Manning finished the rest as the starter.

I see Worley being the starter and sharing time with Peterman. I see Worley losing his starting job prior to the South Alabama game and Peterman being the starter for us against South Alabama.

However; should Peterman struggle against any teams on the remaining schedule, CBJ could insert Dobbs... At that point Dobbs, could take the starting job.....

Those are a couple of scenerios that could happen!

Those moves were caused by injuries...not performance.

No offense to our present personnel, but AP ain't walking through that door.

True, and I said it wasn't a direct parallel.

I wasn't talking about the team directly, but specifically the fact that Oklahoma got what it got out of Bradford who was a 3* nobody and a bunch of So/Fr at WR as well. Those figures are very similar to what UT is looking at.

We also don't know what we're going to get out of Neal and Lane this year. Give them a passing game that is at least a marginal threat (i.e. opposing teams won't just put 9 in the box) and they'll be productive, I believe.

TAMU didn't know what they had with RS FR Manzeil either. Again, for those that won't bother to read... I'm not calling UT the same as TAMU or OU but neither fanbase thought they had much at QB before the season and were totally surprised by the output of an unheralded 3* QB.

UT needs to play for the future play dobbs now give him the reps by next year he will be deadly, worley looks to be average at best which would have been fine with the last coaching staff.....

According to this guy we shouldn't have recruited any other quarterbacks to UT.

C'mon mannnnn...

VN Store

Back