Top 15 Most Talented Rosters for '17

MiramarVol

Sanctified Vol
Adam McClintock came up with the most talented roster for '17. Vols in at #8. We lost offensive fire power in Dobbs, Malone and Kamara, and defensively Sutton, Foreman, and JRM. Our class filled positions of need and added much needed depth. Do you think our roster is where it should be? Better or worse?

Attachments

• rosters.jpg
    rosters.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: 14 people
I think our key to success will be how Coach Shoops and Coach Scott motivates the guys and maximizes their developmental growth.

Reactions: 5 people
Overall roster talent may be top 10 but how do you factor in all the inexperience at key skill positions?

Oh look...on paper...Tennessee is Top 10...again...

giphy.gif

Reactions: 15 people
You forgot Barnett.
That one hurts

There is some talent at that position but none of it has shown the signs of filling the holes left by Barnett and Vereen. That won't be filled this year, even if you expect it to be by someone currently on the roster.

Reactions: 1 person
It be interesting to see what he used to come to this conclusion. He could very well be right from a pure talent standpoint. I don't see this team being the 8th best in the country on the field.

Overall roster talent may be top 10 but how do you factor in all the inexperience at key skill positions?

Key positions with limited experience is QB and WR. Even though we have Jennings, Byrd, and Smith, Johnson, and Callaway saw limited action. Defensively, LB has inexperience but got a boost in depth with this class. I don't think the article is about depth, but more about talent laden rosters.

Adam McClintock came up with the most talented roster for '17. Vols in at #8. We lost offensive fire power in Dobbs, Malone and Kamara, and defensively Sutton, Foreman, and JRM. Our class filled positions of need and added much needed depth. Do you think our roster is where it should be? Better or worse?

With facts people can't claim we have no talent. Cmon man.

It's strictly a talent perspective list. Look at #15 Texas. They under preformed worst than we did, but they are stacked with talent for Herman to use.

Dilemma for Jones' defenders here. Agree with that evaluation... and UT should compete for or win the East this fall. If not then it serves as proof that he underachieved the talent on the team. Disagree with the evaluation... and you've admitted that in 5 years Jones has neither won the East and competed for the SEC nor has he built a roster capable of doing it.

Dilemma for Jones' defenders here. Agree with that evaluation... and UT should compete for or win the East this fall. If not then it serves as proof that he underachieved the talent on the team. Disagree with the evaluation... and you've admitted that in 5 years Jones has neither won the East and competed for the SEC nor has he built a roster capable of doing it.

It will be interesting to see if this is revisited next fall.

Tennessee should compete for the East this fall. No question. In fact, the SEC record should improve over last year's disappointing 4-4.

Reactions: 2 people
Oh look...on paper...Tennessee is Top 10...again...

giphy.gif

So you cry about recruiting when we don't get a top 10 class.

But then when someone says we have a top 10 roster because we've averaged a top 10 recruiting class over the last 4 years, you say that doesn't matter.

Reactions: 11 people

But then when someone says we have a top 10 roster because we've averaged a top 10 recruiting class over the last 4 years, you say that doesn't matter.

Oh leave him alone, his little gif was cute.

Reactions: 2 people
We have talent. Not maximizing it has been the problem-- one UT and UGA have in common. Same probably applies to LSU.

As far as mattering I guess it would depend on what you place the reasoning behind.

Tennessee should compete for the East this fall. No question. In fact, the SEC record should improve over last year's disappointing 4-4.

This is a sincere question. Why do you think it "should" improve over last year? I'm not interested in hope or faith. I'm interested in tangible reasons.

This is a sincere question. Why do you think it "should" improve over last year? I'm not interested in hope or faith. I'm interested in tangible reasons.

I seem to remember asking a similar question awhile back to someone else.

The answer centered around the east getting worse. Specifically UGA and UF.

Just a note, but no way Clemson is at 14 in talent, they bring back most of that team and the two QB's competing to replace Watson are 5 star kids. They loaded again.

not sure what the criteria is for this assessment and I won't be looking to compare them but no way I see Tennessee near that high with talent. We lost ground on others with graduations / NFL and recruiting class. Just hard to imagine anywhere near the top 10

How much of the classes that raised the average are left? Of the 18 4/5* players in the 14 class, 11 are no longer with the program for various reasons. Only 4 of the remaining 7 have made significant contributions to this point.

Retention for the '15 class is much better. Only 2 of the 17 4/5* players are gone. However of the remaining 15 only 6 have established themselves as regular starters.

At this point, those two classes would have to be classified as overrated.

VN Store

Back