Top 15 Most Talented Rosters for '17

When pre-season ratings, rankings and expectations are calculated, rather than just looking at "returning players", "star-status" and "year of college" (soph, jr, etc). perhaps there should be a metric for attrition of all kinds including contribution or not. Your post is unbelievable.

So I post that recruiting rankings cannot be used alone to justify a claim that UT has one of the top 10 rosters in the country headed into '17... and cited attrition from one of the classes that skews their 4 year average up... and some how you can't believe it?

What precisely can't you believe?

IF UT has a top 10 roster... you still cannot prove it with recruiting rankings considering the attrition.

Reactions: 1 person
You cannot make a list of most talented rosters based upon the last 3-4 recruiting classes alone. Not unless you account for attrition, flame outs and kids who are over performing their initial rating as well. For example, without factoring in those variables, Hurd still counts as "talent" for UT in a positive way. Another example, Clemson has a little WR called Renfrow who would hurt their standing based upon his initial 2 star rating, but turns out the kid plays like a 5 star talent. If you took every team's roster, subtracted those that left and adjusted the ratings for those that stayed based upon actual performance in college, the true results would produce a list that I could buy into.

Reactions: 1 person
Dilemma for Jones' defenders here. Agree with that evaluation... and UT should compete for or win the East this fall. If not then it serves as proof that he underachieved the talent on the team. Disagree with the evaluation... and you've admitted that in 5 years Jones has neither won the East and competed for the SEC nor has he built a roster capable of doing it.

If you agree with that evaluation you also must note the three SEC teams we play ranked ahead of us. Do you see a 3 loss team winning the east?

Overall roster talent may be top 10 but how do you factor in all the inexperience at key skill positions?
Due to injuries we had a lot of kids play last year that ordinarily would not have seen the field. We should have more experience than most teams we'll see.

Whenever Colton Jumper graduates, we will automatically get bumped up 3 spots on the list.

I agree. Which is why I didn't care about what our ranking was on NSD. I'll wait until we at least get through the 2017 before declaring this years recruiting class a failure.

There were just a lot of people here the last 2 days going crazy because the number next to our name wasn't in the top 10. I was high on the 2015 class when we got out of NSD. Obviously that hasn't turned out to be the case now after watching them perform on the field the last 2 years. That's why I'm taking a wait and see approach on this year's recruiting class.

But the ranking of these classes is what is used to address argue how high the talent level is.

Either use the ranking or don't.

I generally use ranking until I have product knowledge.

So, an All-American is no longer a 3*. He's an all-American. A 5* who passes out Gatorade is a bust. He's not a 5*.

That's part of the problem with the straight numbers analysis.

Key positions with limited experience is QB and WR. Even though we have Jennings, Byrd, and Smith, Johnson, and Callaway saw limited action. Defensively, LB has inexperience but got a boost in depth with this class. I don't think the article is about depth, but more about talent laden rosters.

I would add RB to key positions with limited experience.

If you agree with that evaluation you also must note the three SEC teams we play ranked ahead of us. Do you see a 3 loss team winning the east?

Always look forward to your input Daj. I see KY and Vandy again recruited at a much higher level than we have seen in the glory days of the 90's. Your comment above is what has me thinking we are just in a bad spot right now. We play Bama every year and then FL and GA are always going to recruit well and now we throw in LSU next year for kicks! We can go 9-3 and have a really nice season and people will want to fire the coach. I'm just waiting for Bama to get put back on probation, Smart and McElwain turn out to be Donnan and Zook, and LSU to be imploded by Orgeron. Think I saw where we play 4 of the top 10 in talent next year?! That's a recipe for 2-4 losses right out of the gate.

Adam McClintock came up with the most talented roster for '17. Vols in at #8. We lost offensive fire power in Dobbs, Malone and Kamara, and defensively Sutton, Foreman, and JRM. Our class filled positions of need and added much needed depth. Do you think our roster is where it should be? Better or worse?

In my opinion, I wouldn't have us that high at #8 first off. I would flip Ohio State & Florida State. I think we should be around #12 or #13th talent-wise with what we already have & what we have coming in for 2017.

This really feels like the off season before 2014 season.

Some reason to be hopeful IF certain things fall right.

A more realistic view may point out there is still a lot of ifs.

Recruiting rankings being what they are, you get a # beside the name because of player ratings. It has nothing to do with who's still there, who contributed, who didn't.

5 new coaches, (and I think most all were warranted, & good hires)maybe a 6th coming, new qb, replacing both DE, 2 LB, CB, RB's, and #1 WR.

Lots of ifs indeed. I for one do not expect to win the SEC E this year. 3rd in the East is probably where we live.... this year.

My optimism for conf championship contention is shelved til 2018.

Year after next, is our year. 😂

Adam McClintock came up with the most talented roster for '17. Vols in at #8. We lost offensive fire power in Dobbs, Malone and Kamara, and defensively Sutton, Foreman, and JRM. Our class filled positions of need and added much needed depth. Do you think our roster is where it should be? Better or worse?
It would be great if 5th in the SEC translated into 8th in the final poll.
It doesn't.
I can guarantee you that UT would be #1 if there was a way to rate attrition.
Development

VN Store

Back