Top 15 Most Talented Rosters for '17

I seem to remember asking a similar question awhile back to someone else.

The answer centered around the east getting worse. Specifically UGA and UF.

I think that's a pipe dream. UGA, UF, and USCe are almost certain to get better.

Adam McClintock came up with the most talented roster for '17. Vols in at #8. We lost offensive fire power in Dobbs, Malone and Kamara, and defensively Sutton, Foreman, and JRM. Our class filled positions of need and added much needed depth. Do you think our roster is where it should be? Better or worse?

Please don't post cut and paste.
Link?!!!

I believe it is not one, but many different factors that if they are all ranked high bring higher odds of success. I've heard a lot of folks say the UT 98 NSD team was driven by excellent leaders, luck, and great coaching. After losing Peyton, folks did not believe UT would make it to the Championship. Having top ten talent is a good thing. Bad luck (injuries) robbed us last year. Hopefully we will see better coaching, luck, leadership, and togetherness (no more Hurds), next year. As someone pointed out, we don't play as tough a stretch next year as this year.

How much of the classes that raised the average are left? Of the 18 4/5* players in the 14 class, 11 are no longer with the program for various reasons. Only 4 of the remaining 7 have made significant contributions to this point.

Retention for the '15 class is much better. Only 2 of the 17 4/5* players are gone. However of the remaining 15 only 6 have established themselves as regular starters.

At this point, those two classes would have to be classified as overrated.

Out of the 15 class only 6 of the sophomores had established themselves as starters... On last year's Jr and Sr lead team. I'm gonna go ahead and give another shot this year.

Reactions: 1 person
Ah, yes, 1998... The Vols started the season in upstate NY, squeaking by the Orangemen of Syracuse. It took overtime to defeat then #2 Florida at home. Afterwards, the Vols started to roll. One of my favorite games was the Blue Collar team pounding the patootie out of then #7 Georgia in Athens, 22-3. Every Big Orange fan sweated the Arkansas game, but the freshly anointed #1 Vols got 'er done! Dominating Bowden's #2 'Noles for the very first BCS championship was orange icing on the white cake. Good times...

Out of the 15 class only 6 of the sophomores had established themselves as starters... On last year's Jr and Sr lead team. I'm gonna go ahead and give another shot this year.

Context is important. If you want to claim a roster is the most talented... you pretty much have to go off of proven performers that will be on the team.

Context is important. If you want to claim a roster is the most talented... you pretty much have to go off of proven performers that will be on the team.

Sorry, I didn't see a write-up. All I saw was a stat sheet from recruiting rankings, which I didn't defend.
I'm just not going to call the class overrated as you did, given we don't know yet.

You just said yourself if it's not proven, it doesn't count, wouldn't that work both ways?

Reactions: 2 people
Sorry, I didn't see a write-up. All I saw was a stat sheet from recruiting rankings, which I didn't defend.
I'm just not going to call the class overrated as you did, given we don't know yet.

You just said yourself if it's not proven, it doesn't count, wouldn't that work both ways?

Sure. And you still don't claim a team with so few proven performers is one of the most talented in the country. And you definitely cannot use recruiting rankings to justify it as D4H did when there's that much attrition from one class and so little proven production from the other.

Sure. And you still don't claim a team with so few proven performers is one of the most talented in the country. And you definitely cannot use recruiting rankings to justify it as D4H did when there's that much attrition from one class and so little proven production from the other.

Oh, not defending D4H or his post, just our kids. Don't want to call them overranked if they haven't proven themselves either way. That was all.

Reactions: 2 people
Oh, not defending D4H or his post, just our kids. Don't want to call them overranked if they haven't proven themselves either way. That was all.

No problem. Appreciate your heart on that. I'm not attacking any of the kids particularly. Just trying to objectively comment on the topic.

Oh look...on paper...Tennessee is Top 10...again...

giphy.gif

ouch, but facts ?!?!?!

In what?

Over the last 4 years our recruiting average is in the top 10.

Roster talent cannot be assessed based on class ratings. you have development, experience and attrition which all has an impact on the talent base of a roster.

How much of the classes that raised the average are left? Of the 18 4/5* players in the 14 class, 11 are no longer with the program for various reasons. Only 4 of the remaining 7 have made significant contributions to this point.

Retention for the '15 class is much better. Only 2 of the 17 4/5* players are gone. However of the remaining 15 only 6 have established themselves as regular starters.

At this point, those two classes would have to be classified as overrated.

When pre-season ratings, rankings and expectations are calculated, rather than just looking at "returning players", "star-status" and "year of college" (soph, jr, etc). perhaps there should be a metric for attrition of all kinds including contribution or not. Your post is unbelievable.

Roster talent cannot be assessed based on class ratings. you have development, experience and attrition which all has an impact on the talent base of a roster.

I agree, and I haven't seen anyone do that yet.
Usually on here, when people remove Tennessee's attrition, they don't do the same for the other teams. So that's not accurate either.

Like all subjects, it flips back and forth on whose argument it suits.

People who say we don't have talent, will say - we shouldn't have lost games with all the talent we have.
And people who say we do have talent, will also say - of course we lost those games because we didn't have depth and talent.

Vicious little cycle we have here on our board.

Reactions: 4 people
Dilemma for Jones' defenders here. Agree with that evaluation... and UT should compete for or win the East this fall. If not then it serves as proof that he underachieved the talent on the team. Disagree with the evaluation... and you've admitted that in 5 years Jones has neither won the East and competed for the SEC nor has he built a roster capable of doing it.

I am one who thinks we have a better season next year. I don't really consider JRM and Sutton as critical losses because we really had already lost both after the 2015 season. The only full game JRM played in 2016 was against Va Tech, as he was ejected the first half against 1st game, App St., and was injured for the season in the 3rd game, Ohio game. We lost Sutton also in the Ohio game and even when he came back by the UK game it was obvious he was not back to where he was. And we lost Kirkland for half the season and he also didn't really look 100% the remainder of the regular season. But I expect him to be back 100% for 2017.

Barnett is obviously a big loss but we have some very talented guys at DE. We also will actually have some DTs available next season. How much depth we have there will of course depend on Sutton's availability.

I also think we will be better at DB as we will have a better DB coach teaching them how to actual cover a receiver downfield. And we do have some talent in the secondary.

OL will be more mature, stronger, and more developed. I like our RBs, starting with Kelly. I like our WRs, despite the loss of Malone. Obviously there will be some growing pains with the inexperienced QBs, but both are very talented, high IQ, young men.

We have a punter than can quickly flip the field.

We've got an NFL S&C coach who knows his stuff.

And I think the 2016 injuries were a weird anomaly that we won't see again for some time.

I think Team 121 will be better than some of you want to believe.

JMO.

Reactions: 5 people
Adam McClintock came up with the most talented roster for '17. Vols in at #8. We lost offensive fire power in Dobbs, Malone and Kamara, and defensively Sutton, Foreman, and JRM. Our class filled positions of need and added much needed depth. Do you think our roster is where it should be? Better or worse?

What's his criteria and methodology?

Dilemma for Jones' defenders here. Agree with that evaluation... and UT should compete for or win the East this fall. If not then it serves as proof that he underachieved the talent on the team. Disagree with the evaluation... and you've admitted that in 5 years Jones has neither won the East and competed for the SEC nor has he built a roster capable of doing it.

Even if I were a defender it would be incredibly hard to imagine Tennessee winning the East nxt season just knowing the facts we know.

Inexperienced QBs hardly ever if at all have that kind of success.
Inexperienced play caller and I actually like Scott
Jennings is a wildcard now
The Defense is still a mess even though I like the addition of the new coach
Jones is still Jones

I am one who thinks we have a better season next year. I don't really consider JRM and Sutton as critical losses because we really had already lost both after the 2015 season. The only full game JRM played in 2016 was against Va Tech, as he was ejected the first half against 1st game, App St., and was injured for the season in the 3rd game, Ohio game. We lost Sutton also in the Ohio game and even when he came back by the UK game it was obvious he was not back to where he was. And we lost Kirkland for half the season and he also didn't really look 100% the remainder of the regular season. But I expect him to be back 100% for 2017.

Barnett is obviously a big loss but we have some very talented guys at DE. We also will actually have some DTs available next season. How much depth we have there will of course depend on Sutton's availability.

I also think we will be better at DB as we will have a better DB coach teaching them how to actual cover a receiver downfield. And we do have some talent in the secondary.

OL will be more mature, stronger, and more developed. I like our RBs, starting with Kelly. I like our WRs, despite the loss of Malone. Obviously there will be some growing pains with the inexperienced QBs, but both are very talented, high IQ, young men.

We have a punter than can quickly flip the field.

We've got an NFL S&C coach who knows his stuff.

And I think the 2016 injuries were a weird anomaly that we won't see again for some time.

I think Team 121 will be better than some of you want to believe.

JMO.

And there's a bunch of us that think 121 will be considerably worse given everything Tennessee lost

VN Store

Back