Top 5 horror movies (since Halloween getting close)

Halloween
Halloween II
Pumpkinhead
Witchboard
Nightmare on Elm Street

Not really horror but they were great Halloween movies back in the day.
Nice inclusion of Witchboard. Solid 80s horror movie.

The Shining
Rosemary's Baby
The Exorcist
The Conjuring
Hereditary
I was wondering if Hereditary would make it on anyone’s list. If you all haven’t seen it then you need to watch it. One of the best horror movies to come out in the last several years. Ari Aster is one to watch for future horror. Midsommar is great too.

See, this is a great thread. I love Halloween and scary movies. I’ve watched them all my life, even when little. I remember watching The Howling when I was 5. If I’m doing an all-time list The Exorcist is certainly up there. Saw that when I was 11 and struggled to sleep for a couple nights. I had seen a ton of horror movies at that point too but that was another level. Instead of an all time list (it’s too hard to do as horror has so many genres) I’ll give some more recent horror movies worth watching that maybe some of you haven’t seen given that most lists have older stuff on them.

Hereditary - love this one
Midsommar - same director as Hereditary but such a contrast from Hereditary which makes it all the more fascinating to me
The Witch - slow burn but worth it
Autopsy of Jane Doe - somewhat unique idea
The Cleansing Hour - also a slightly different spin and better than I expected
The Deep House - haunted house under water sounds stupid in the surface (pun intended) but this one was actually pretty well done
Deadscream - watched this one last week. It was better than I expected and even turned campy a ways into the movie, which surprised me.

If you like Asian horror and lots of gore check out The Sadness. Thin story but entertaining. You can’t be sensitive to gore though. I’ll keep thinking on it as I’m sure there are others that I’m forgetting.

Way to hard to name top 5, but if I could only watch 5 for the rest of my life.

Evil Dead 2 (the lack of Evil Dead in this thread makes me want to take all of you to a cabin and chop your heads off with a chainsaw)

Dead Alive/ Braindead really close to ED2

Hellraiser such a great love story

Martyrs for fapping purposes

I want a Jeffrey Combs movie and flipped between Re-Animator and From Beyond, I pick Re-Animator for headless cun*****gus

Dead/Alive ... great pick

Hellraiser ... also, a great pick. The sequels were trash.

Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 were great ... but maybe more of good movies, than necessarily scary.

Re-animator was also good.

Good list.

Reactions: BadJerry20

Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 were great ... but maybe more of good movies, than necessarily scary.

Good list.

Dead Alive is so much fun.

I thought Hellraiser 2 was decent but yeah after that awful. Remake is pretty good though. IMO

Evil Dead is scary for the time, 2 is that sweet spot gore/comedy for me though and peak Bruce. I'm biased but Evil Dead is the most consistent franchise, 1 and 2 great, Army Of Darkness my least favorite but still solid fun, great TV series, and brutal (good) remake. Every other franchise with 3 plus films has some serious garbage.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Can't limit to 5, and I don't think I can put them in any order, but:

Halloween 1~3
The Thing
Christine
The Fog
(basically there was a run where John Carpenter could be considered as good as any director at that time)

Others I enjoy:
It (the original TV mini-series, not the movies, which were okay)
Halloween 6: Producer's Cut
Night of the Living Dead
Friday the 13th 1~7 (I have soft spots for Part 5 and 7)
Ghost Story
Pet Cemetary
The Amityville Horror (scariness was predicated on it being real, which later turned out to be fake)
Sleepaway Camp 1 & 2 (I admit I like 3 too, altho most hated it)
Blair Witch Project (not so much because it was that scary, but mostly because of documentary stuff at the beginning and the backstory mockumentaries on Sy Fy)
Scream (the original)

5 is my favorite Friday. I have a huge soft spot for Sleepaway Camp movies 3 too, except Return or whatever that garbage was. Lol

Edit: 6 not 5 is my favorite. I will say 5 is a pretty good Friday movie till they reveal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volwark
Useless Trivia :

The mask that Michael Myers wore in the Halloween movies, was actually a Star Trek Captain Kirk (William Shatner) costume mask, which Halloween director, John Carpenter, had painted white.

You seem like a memorabilia freak, and a pretty cool guy.

You are correct about the origin of the original mask. Believe it or not I tried to buy the movie mask decades ago…unsuccessfully. However I had one made custom for me that’s an absolute spot on copy. Take a look….

B9E0ACF0-F7CB-4FBA-94FC-1DE0C40C994B.jpeg

Return was so close to making my list, and The Thing is one of my favorites movies. Wanna halloween cuddle?
Top 5 list is hard for me to make. I love horror movies and there are so many to choose from. I left off Hellraiser, Dawn of the Dead, Zombi, etc, etc.

I got a orange UT blanket/snuggy with your name on it bro! lol

Good list.
Evil Dead remake was definitely more creepy but the classics are awesome of course. Remake was well done though.

5 is my favorite Friday. I have a huge soft spot for Sleepaway Camp movies 3 too, except Return or whatever that garbage was. Lol

Edit: 6 not 5 is my favorite. I will say 5 is a pretty good Friday movie till they reveal.
I liked 6 too. 5 was ok. Jason wasn’t even in it either.

Evil Dead series (1,2, Army of Darkness)
The Thing
Dead Alive
Return of the Living Dead
The Gates of Hell
The Gates of Hell was a fave when I was younger. That’s when I discovered that horror could be PG-13 and still good. Take What Lies Beneath. Great movie and PG-13.

I’m not seeing many werewolf movies. London is the only one I think I saw. The original Howling was good and had amazing special effects for the time. Are there any other good werewolf movies floating around?

Reactions: davethevol
I've always liked Dog Soldiers.
Good one. Of course Silver Bullet is a classic. It’s just hard to make a good werewolf movie. London set the bar so high that it’s about impossible to achieve again. Late Phases is a decent one. I do like the Underworld series but it’s not horror.

Good one. Of course Silver Bullet is a classic. It’s just hard to make a good werewolf movie. London set the bar so high that it’s about impossible to achieve again. Late Phases is a decent one. I do like the Underworld series but it’s not horror.
Silver Bullet is one of the best. I’d like to see a new version of it someday. It seems like any werewolf movies made after the 80’s lack the tension and creepy atmosphere. The Fox show Werewolf was a great example of having that creepy feeling.

VN Store

Back