Transfers

So Gainey is looking like the odd man out?
From what I understand, he had a (foot?) injury at the beginning of Summer practice, but has been working back into practice. I’m not sure how the minutes will go, but Cade, Carr and Boswell are on the floor more than I expected.

Last edited:
Not sure I would say that, your rotational 9 will almost certainly be…IMO:

Zeigler
Lanier/Gainey
Mashack/Carr
Milicic/Dubar
Okpara/Estrella
New poster here, feel like from everything I've been seeing this looks about right. Curious to hear your thoughts on:

1) if it looks at all likely for Mashack to be the nominal starter but Cam to overtake him in minutes at some point this season (not a knock on Mashack)? I feel like if Chaz/Cam/Igor can put it together as defenders, that gives us a very nasty lineup with a ton of scoring potential.

1b) I guess relatedly, if Mashack has improved as a shooter/improved in confidence there?

2) if what you or @Stoerner Fumbles are hearing about Dubar is as "bad" as it seems. Can't help but think he's got a lot of value to the rotation, but seems fear-mongering in the forum is high when it comes to him and, lesser extent, Chaz.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

Zeigler
Lanier/Gainey
Mashack/Carr
Milicic/Dubar
Okpara/Estrella
This actually isn't a bad rotation imo.

I think it'll be interesting to see if the offensive efficiency improves and if we can maintain a top-10 defensive efficiency.

Fingers crossed that the transfers can find their footing on the defensive end. My biggest concern is at the 4 spot, if Dubar isn't progressing and Milicic is getting lost on switches/drives... there's still time for those guys to progress but also wouldn't be surprised if this manifests itself during the season. Might see Cade Phillips play the 4 some if he's progressing more than Dubar is.

Reactions: Vols All Day
New poster here, feel like from everything I've been seeing this looks about right. Curious to hear your thoughts on:

1) if it looks at all likely for Mashack to be the nominal starter but Cam to overtake him in minutes at some point this season (not a knock on Mashack)? I feel like if Chaz/Cam/Igor can put it together as defenders, that gives us a very nasty lineup with a ton of scoring potential.

1b) I guess relatedly, if Mashack has improved as a shooter/improved in confidence there?

2) if what you or @Stoerner Fumbles are hearing about Dubar is as "bad" as it seems. Can't help but think he's got a lot of value to the rotation, but seems fear-mongering in the forum is high when it comes to him and, lesser extent, Chaz.
1. I think Mashack is going to get big minutes, it’s almost a certainty that he will be our best/most versatile defender and considering how likely it is that newcomers will struggle defensively a bit I see Barnes continuing to rely on Mashack often. I think Mashack has had a nice offseason and will see another uptick in his offense, if you look at his progression it’s not crazy to think he’s a 8-10ppg guy for us alongside being a lockdown defender.

2. Not sure what you’re asking?

I think it'll be interesting to see if the offensive efficiency improves and if we can maintain a top-10 defensive efficiency.

Fingers crossed that the transfers can find their footing on the defensive end. My biggest concern is at the 4 spot, if Dubar isn't progressing and Milicic is getting lost on switches/drives... there's still time for those guys to progress but also wouldn't be surprised if this manifests itself during the season. Might see Cade Phillips play the 4 some if he's progressing more than Dubar is.
I think you’d likely see Mashack slide to the 4 and insert Gainey/Carr into the lineup if that was the case…but I don’t think it will be a major issue. Knecht got lost routinely as well, but benefited from having good defenders around him, Okpara will be an upgrade over Aidoo, Zeigler still out there, and I see Mashack as an upgrade over Santi, I think Igor/Dubar will be “fine” defensively.

As for offensive/defensive efficiency, last year we finished 28th offensively and 3rd defensively, I think you could see a much more even/balanced split this year.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

Igor will be fine. We just require the 3 and 4 to be more versatile than most other defenses. He’s a good defender who will play a lot. The jury is out on Dubar, but it’s very early. They recruited him for a reason. I trust they/he will figure it out. I think Cade, Carr and other young guys pushing is good for the team. If they pass someone, that doesn’t imply a problem.

1. I think Mashack is going to get big minutes, it’s almost a certainty that he will be our best/most versatile defender and considering how likely it is that newcomers will struggle defensively a bit I see Barnes continuing to rely on Mashack often. I think Mashack has had a nice offseason and will see another uptick in his offense, if you look at his progression it’s not crazy to think he’s a 8-10ppg guy for us alongside being a lockdown defender.

2. Not sure what you’re asking?

I guess it sounds like Dubar has had a bad offseason, and I was wondering if those reports have been overblown/if there's any intel on how the coaches feel about him/his role. I haven't read many positives on here, but his stats coming in were very impressive.

Igor will be fine. We just require the 3 and 4 to be more versatile than most other defenses. He’s a good defender who will play a lot. The jury is out on Dubar, but it’s very early. They recruited him for a reason. I trust they/he will figure it out. I think Cade, Carr and other young guys pushing is good for the team. If they pass someone, that doesn’t imply a problem.
And just seeing this - makes sense that it's still so early.

I guess it sounds like Dubar has had a bad offseason, and I was wondering if those reports have been overblown/if there's any intel on how the coaches feel about him/his role. I haven't read many positives on here, but his stats coming in were very impressive.
Neither myself or @Stoerner Fumbles have said Dubar has been bad or is doomed, if anyone has said it then it’s probably the same mouth breathers suggesting Lanier was fat and lazy and pushing.

It’s still relatively early in the process.

I assume in part, Okpara drawing rave reviews has to do with the fact he is more advanced defensively so he “fit” in with the coach culture faster.

I’d kill to watch a scrimmage.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Dubar, Milicic and Lanier all just have one year and Okpara has 2, correct?

I think you’d likely see Mashack slide to the 4 and insert Gainey/Carr into the lineup if that was the case…but I don’t think it will be a major issue. Knecht got lost routinely as well, but benefited from having good defenders around him, Okpara will be an upgrade over Aidoo, Zeigler still out there, and I see Mashack as an upgrade over Santi, I think Igor/Dubar will be “fine” defensively.

As for offensive/defensive efficiency, last year we finished 28th offensively and 3rd defensively, I think you could see a much more even/balanced split this year.
I initially had the thought of Mashack at the 4 with Carr at the 3.... but then I saw Mashack is only 6'4 201 lbs so thought we'd be giving up some size at the 4 spot. But I do remember we had Mashack at the 4 some last season so it makes sense.

I think that Mashack can play minutes at 1, 2, 3, and 4. Distribution will be based on which backup(s) learn their roles best (or not).
Mashack at the 1 seems like more a stretch than him at the 4 sometimes (and that's a big stretch). You'd think Boswell and Gainey would be your main choices to eat those minutes. I see him more like a bigger Pat Bev than a Derrick White type as far as position versatility.. No knock on him just what I have seen in games.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yup, if the young guys pass Dubar it means they earned it. With transfers being more common now it's like recruiting that no team has 100% hit rate. You just want more hits than misses. It's very early and hopefully Dubar can be poor man's JJJ.

Mashack at the 1 seems like more a stretch than him at the 4 sometimes (and that's a big stretch). You'd think Boswell and Gainey would be your main choices to eat those minutes. I see him more like a bigger Pat Bev than a Derrick White type as far as position versatility.. No knock on him just what I have seen in games.
Not sure I agree there.. No offense to Gainey but at the 1 he’s been a little loose with the ball against tough on ball.imo I’d trust Mashack putting a hip into someone maintaining space to start the offense before Gainey recognizing and anticipating tough on ball defenders.

Mashack has gotten playing time as a PG through the years. He’s a pretty good option to burn some minutes while ZZ sits out for a few now and then. Mashack could also fill the PG role as a combo guard with Gainey on the floor drawing the opponents 1 as his defender.

Combinations putting opponents into bad matchups is a weapon. Especially when Barnes has somebody with Mashack’s versatility and experience.

Not sure I agree there.. No offense to Gainey but at the 1 he’s been a little loose with the ball against tough on ball.imo I’d trust Mashack putting a hip into someone maintaining space to start the offense before Gainey recognizing and anticipating tough on ball defenders.
Not that it's his fault as we had plenty of people to fill that role (PG) since he's been here. That being said, I have never seen him demonstrate or put in position to demonstrate PG skills. The fact the coaching staff has not seen it a good idea yet while giving others (like Gainey) that opportunity tells me they don't see it either. I have not watched every second of every game but I don't remember ever seeing the coaches put him in that position.

Zeigler
Lanier/Gainey
Mashack/Carr
Milicic/Dubar
Okpara/Estrella
Would you guess based on the reports of late that Lanier won’t be the #2 PG to spell ZZZ a few minutes? Is that more likely to be Gainey’s roll or Boswell?

Would you guess based on the reports of late that Lanier won’t be the #2 PG to spell ZZZ a few minutes? Is that more likely to be Gainey’s roll or Boswell?

I’d bet that in close games that matter, ZZ is likely to average 37+ minutes. And my gut would expect JM to be the one that mostly brings the ball up while he sits

Not that it's his fault as we had plenty of people to fill that role (PG) since he's been here. That being said, I have never seen him demonstrate or put in position to demonstrate PG skills. The fact the coaching staff has not seen it a good idea yet while giving others (like Gainey) that opportunity tells me they don't see it either. I have not watched every second of every game but I don't remember ever seeing the coaches put him in that position.
He did so plenty after ZZ was injured 2 years ago. Against Duke, he and Santi both played PG.

VN Store

Back