Tyler Baron has entered the portal

90% goes to the players, 10% to overhead (which includes the tailgates). I think people have the perception that the tailgates are lavish events… they aren’t. They’re nice to have, but it’s basically a tent with drinks, wings and sandwiches. I want to see $ going to fund player deals as much as the next person but the money that’s being spent on tailgates is the least of my concerns
Also, I'm not sure folks understand that while our giving is nice, large corporate UT sponsors who give to the school AND to the collective provide a ton of money. I'm not at all saying we shouldn't give and give regularly, but individual donations aren't really measurable against a corporation for which $36k is less than 10% of the $500k they may give yearly to the school.

As DeerPark alluded in his analysis of why NCAA wants to allow some NIL to come from the school itself, some of the success of the collectives is cutting into the corporate donation bottom line for schools. Schools receive a lot of corporate money and if it's cut into the donation bottom line enough to be noticed, these NIL collectives have got some cash coming in.

When NIL goes under the university control, it’s only a matter of time before some court will rule the tennis players deserve as much as the fB & Bb players. That will move payments back to “under the table”
Yes. Once you bring NIL under the official control of universities that receive federal funding, that gives the feds and courts an opportunity to step in and tell you what to do with NIL.

Yes. Once you bring NIL under the official control of universities that receive federal funding, that gives the feds and courts an opportunity to step in and tell you what to do with NIL.
It's already coming. Whether it works or not is the issue. DeerPark mentioned that the new NCAA initiative on getting involved in NIL was in part a response to some legal advice about Title IX.

I'm unsure how getting schools involved in NIL helps unless it's a legal strategy for the schools to say "our official school NIL complies with Title IX so let us out of the lawsuits."

You’d think intelligent people would not want to do that but money makes people do stupid things.

Reactions: feathersax
Yeah discussing sports is really Sad now. I mean 80% of it or more now is talk about recruiting/ transfer portal/ grad transfers/ injuries/ NIL/Collectives/ Coaches salaries/ concussions protocols /schedules/realignment/ playoff changes. Then about 20% is actually the actual game itself. It has became a year around Soap Opera.

So Baron and McDonald are at Ole Piss visiting huh. That's why Ole Kiffy Poo was in Knoxville last week. He was greasing the skids.

So Baron and McDonald are at Ole Piss visiting huh. That's why Ole Kiffy Poo was in Knoxville last week. He was greasing the skids.
I just can't believe starters would leave for Ole Miss and any other school for that matter. Look at the 30 players that left the grass wasn't more green. Just remember the Alabama kid that got beat by tn last year. I can't even remember his name and he was a 5 star.

I did, I was a counselor and an assistant marketing director for a drug rehabilitation program that provided housing and meals free for a year. Do you even know what a 501k non profit organization means? I doubt it. You’re probably 10

You said "401k non profit" so it sounded like you worked for an individual's retirement account. Silly mistake on your part, code sections and all

Yeah discussing sports is really Sad now. I mean 80% of it or more now is talk about recruiting/ transfer portal/ grad transfers/ injuries/ NIL/Collectives/ Coaches salaries/ concussions protocols /schedules/realignment/ playoff changes. Then about 20% is actually the actual game itself. It has became a year around Soap Opera.
This December "free agency" is the part I will hate the most. It will lead to some guys like Baron being overpaid with NIL deals, just because they were willing to use the leverage of the transfer portal.

Apparently him and Garner bumped heads a lot during the time he’s been here.

VN Store

Back