Tyler Bray should have stayed.

I don't think anybody outside of Knoxville realistically thought that Bray would get drafted. The guy was a disappointment on and off the field and his measureables were vastly overstated by the Vol faithful.

Everybody thought he was going to be a mid round pick.

Everybody thought he was going to be a mid round pick.

Count me out of that crowd. I had him going last, if at all, among the QB's. I figured somebody might take a chance on him in the 7th round.

I'm no draft expert, but I do think that the scouts, and teams, take a look at "how you lose". They all look good when they win. I think Brays' performance in losses...especially the blowouts...were part of his undoing.

All agree that Bray has the arm to make any NFL throw. I think it's his lack of mobility, maturity, and mental toughness that left him standing on the one sideline he didn't want to be on...undrafted.

In short, Ryan Leaf, revisited. This time, NFL teams...apparently all of them...remembered that mistake.

Bray can still be a good NFL QB. But now he has to do it the hard way. From the bottom up, and one step at a time.

I hope he makes it. I doubt he will.

Go Vols.

So coaching has absolutely nothing to do with it??? Eric Ainge says hi

No, coaching does have to do with it. However, when all else is going to crap around you, the motivation to pull through and play your best is something you bring with you. A kid that has no personal motivation can be temporarily motivated by a coach.....when that excitement wears off and the going gets rough, that motivation will begin to wear off also, that is where a kids personal motivation has to take over. QB's have to have this.....Leaders have to have this. That is why TB will have a tough time being a pro QB and will never be a leader. It's what coaches used to call guts. You can't coach guts, either the player has them or he doesn't. In my opinion, TB is gutless.

Eric Ainge had personal motivation to keep him going when the coaching rah rah wore off. Jonathan Crompton has probably demonstrated some of the highest personal motivation of any QB that we have seen in a while. They both had guts, TB......tissue paper.

Reactions: 1 person
No, coaching does have to do with it. However, when all else is going to crap around you, the motivation to pull through and play your best is something you bring with you. A kid that has no personal motivation can be temporarily motivated by a coach.....when that excitement wears off and the going gets rough, that motivation will begin to wear off also, that is where a kids personal motivation has to take over. QB's have to have this.....Leaders have to have this. That is why TB will have a tough time being a pro QB and will never be a leader. It's what coaches used to call guts. You can't coach guts, either the player has them or he doesn't. In my opinion, TB is gutless.

Eric Ainge had personal motivation to keep him going when the coaching rah rah wore off. Jonathan Crompton has probably demonstrated some of the highest personal motivation of any QB that we have seen in a while. They both had guts, TB......tissue paper.

I can agree with most of this

I'm going to guess Bray went into the Combine with a roughly 3rd/4th Round grade and lost all stock with interviews. I thought Bray was a lot like Ryan Mallet even before the season began. Ryan Mallet had atrocious interview sessions but still was drafted 3rd Round.

I agree Bray must have blown it in the interview process. Which, IMHO, is as much a reflection on Dooley as Bray. I thought Dooley was very focused on watering bamboo and preparing these boys for life in general. And if you aren't mentoring your players for the League at UT, then you aren't doing your job.

What the hell did Dooley do on the Hill?

Last edited:
I agree Bray must have blown it in the interview process. Which, IMHO, is as much a reflection on Dooley as Bray. I thought Dooley was very focused on watering bamboo and preparing these boys for life in general. And if you aren't mentoring your players for the League at UT, then you aren't doing your job.

When you water bamboo, it grows. When you water a rock it.......well, it just stays a rock.

Reactions: 2 people

Bray knew he was bulletproof because of Dooley's lame duck status. If Dooley told Bray to zig, and Bray zagged, Dooley wasn't holding him accountable or benching him. It's no different than Rex Grossman doing whatever the hell he wanted in '02 during Zook's first year.

Bray knew he was bulletproof because of Dooley's lame duck status. If Dooley told Bray to zig, and Bray zagged, Dooley wasn't holding him accountable or benching him. It's no different than Rex Grossman doing whatever the hell he wanted in '02 during Zook's first year.

This was going on LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG before Dooley had the lame duck status. DaRick and Bray were allowed to run the joint.

Dooley said "any coach who says he treats all players the same is a liar."

That's probably true, but what kind of idiot actually says it?

Now we know where, "I thought I was above the law at Tennessee" comes from. :eek:lol:

I don't think anybody outside of Knoxville realistically thought that Bray would get drafted. The guy was a disappointment on and off the field and his measureables were vastly overstated by the Vol faithful.

Didn't realize Kiper and McShay were from Knoxville.

It's impossible to defend a guy who admits he didnt work as hard as he could have. But man, we turn on guys around here

I didnt "turn on him" I didnt like him from day1, with his throat slash and all the other BS. Just because I am a Tenn fan doesnt mean I have to like every player. He and the other moron (Da Rick) were not what Vol football is about, ie, helping the team to win by giving all-out effort every play. They were only interested in what Tenn could do for them , not the other way around. The fact that we had to put up with these guys and still win 2 SEC games in 2 years is enough to make me sick. It cant get any worse than the last 2 years , period.

Reactions: 2 people
I didnt "turn on him" I didnt like him from day1, with his throat slash and all the other BS. Just because I am a Tenn fan doesnt mean I have to like every player. He and the other moron (Da Rick) were not what Vol football is about, ie, helping the team to win by giving all-out effort every play. They were only interested in what Tenn could do for them , not the other way around. The fact that we had to put up with these guys and still win 2 SEC games in 2 years is enough to make me sick. It cant get any worse than the last 2 years , period.

It can't get any worse????

Dude we went 5-7 .Auburn went like 2-10 or something close to that. Yes, it could be much worse.

Nearly everyone played after Stabler.......

He named 2 of significance. And one played in unison with Stabler and Richard Todd who had a modest career played into the mid 80s. Who are the other ones since 1985? Can't think of any.

On top of that, you are still missing the point about how much weight a current QB will put on a program for having QBs playing on Sunday's. That's the point of the argument. The rest of it is sidebars as to when a guy played in the 70s.

And if the point of the debate was the case, we would have the advantage over Bama for Cornwell with Peyton lighting up this past year in Denver.

VN Store

Back