UAB game discussion

lol

Still doesn't change that it's pretty impressive for a back-up, even if he did start in Gainesville.

I'll just say this. I saw UAB a couple of times on TV last year. They are a good football team. Of course like most mid-major (young programs) depth is the thing that seperates them from SEC type programs. Watson Brown is a very good football coach. Are they capable of coming to Knoxville and pulling the upset? Sure, it could happen. I think it is extremely unlikely, but they will compete and compete hard. I look for this game to be fairly close at half with the Vols depth allowing them to beat the heat in the second half.

BTW, I'd like to see Bama and Auburn play UAB on a fairly regular basis. I think it'd create a lot of interest in Alabama (and the south as a whole for that matter). :blink:

Too bad he isn't "good enough" to have already won that job. I look forward to the day when he is though. He will lead the Vols to many-a-win.

I'm glad you guys like Watson Brown. Personally, I'm a fan too, but many UAB fans have been calling for his removal. Of course, the problem is that he's both AD and Head Football Coach. I still think he's done a great job all things considered and with UAB being DIA for just 10 years, and I'm glad to see he gets some respect by those on the outside of the situation.

Auburn is more likely to play us than Bama, but not even Auburn is willing to risk playing us anymore. They'll probably wait until UAB goes down a little and THEN might consider it.

UAB's depth has been a major concern in the past, but we're getting better and better recruiting classes all the time. In fact, despite the fact that we're HEAVILY junior-senior laden, you'll see alot of freshmen playing for UAB when they hit the field in Knoxville. We definitely dont have the depth of Tennessee, but we're in MUCH better shape than we've ever been.

Maybe Mack should try to get the same deal as his brother. Cause if he loses to Oklahoma again this season, it might get ugly in Austin.

First-team Units Highlight UAB's scrimmage
Brown looking for more consistency from backups

Aug. 20, 2005

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ----- The UAB football team went through its final full-scale scrimmage of the preseason here Saturday and head coach Watson Brown said afterwards he was pleased with the play of his first-team units but was still looking for some of his backups to establish themselves.

"It was a good scrimmage," said Brown. "I feel good about both first-team units, but our "twos" have to realize they are going to play. They're going to play in Knoxville in two weeks. They're an ankle sprain away from being on the field with the first unit. We just haven't been very consistent beyond our first units."

In Saturday's scrimmage, the first-team offense started with a bang as junior running back Dan Burks took a pitch from quarterback Darrell Hackney and after picking up a block from receiver Lance Rhodes and shaking a couple tackles, he raced 70 yards for a touchdown. It was Burks' only carry of the two-hour scrimmage.

"Dan got a great block on the corner and he's fast," said Brown. "You get him out there and he can go the distance. What was really pleasing to see on that play was that we had our first-team on the field as a group for the first time since the first day of practice. Most of that is because of some injuries to the offensive line, but they were out there today."

The lines on both sides of the ball saw approximately 30 plays of action in the scrimmage. Hackney, just named this week to the preseason watch list for the 2005 Davey O'Brien Award, was sharp in the workout, hitting 7-of-10 passes for 73 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Backup Chris Williams was also efficient as he connected on 11-of-17 passes for 61 yards and one touchdown. True freshman Joseph Webb also saw considerable action and hit 8-of-15 passes for 69 yards and one TD.

Senior Reggie Lindsey was the top receiver for the second game in a row as he caught four passes for 43 yards. Jhun Cook, moved back to receiver after a season in the secondary, caught a pair of passes for 27 yards and one score.

Tight end Chico Cleveland, having played wideout throughout his career until this season, had two receptions for 16 yards with a touchdown. Brown was pleased with the senior's action. "He can make plays," Brown said. "We've got to use him. He's gotten bigger, so we can use him as a tight end or in different situations."

Defensively, defensive end Larry McSwain was in on a pair of sacks while tackle Sam Kendrick had one interception, picking off a Webb pass and returning it 32 yards.

Aside from Burks' 70-yard jaunt, the rushing game was held to 70 yards on 20 carries for a 3.5 yards per carry average.

Placekicker Parker Mullins connected on both of his field goal attempts (37 and 42 yards).

UAB opens the 2005 season Sept. 3 as the Blazers travel to Knoxville, Tenn., to face Tennessee. The Blazers and Volunteers play at Neyland Stadium at 12:30 ET/11:30 CT, in a game that will be televised regionally on Jefferson Pilot.

SCRIMMAGE STATISTICAL LEADERS

Rushing

D. Burks, 1-70, 1 TD; C. White, 3-17, 0 TD; T. Chaney, 4-14, 0 TD; B. Alexander 9-25. 0 TD; Cory Jones, 4-14, 0 TD.

Passing

D. Hackney, 7x10, 73 Yds., 2 TDs, 0 INT; C. Williams 11x17, 65 Yds., 1 TD, 0 INT; J. Webb, 8x15, 69 Yds., 1 TD, 1 INT.

Receiving

R. Lindsey, 4-43, 0 TD; S. Mencer, 3-29, 0 TD; J. Cook, 2-27, 1 TD; C. Cleveland, 2-16, 1 TD; N. Drinkard, 1-4, 1 TD; L. Rhodes, 1-9, 0 TD; S. Brown, 3-33, 1 TD.

FIELD GOALS

P. Mullins, 2x2 (37, 42)

Yes offensively this UT team is better than the 98 team, defensively they could be

Wasnt Peyton Manning QB of that team? I'm not sure I would agree with saying your offense is stronger now.

Originally posted by Blazer85@Aug 21, 2005 12:18 AM
Wasnt Peyton Manning QB of that team?  I'm not sure I would agree with saying your offense is stronger now.
[snapback]129161[/snapback]​

tee martin

Originally posted by Blazer85@Aug 18, 2005 8:24 PM
I'm glad you guys like Watson Brown.  Personally, I'm a fan too, but many UAB fans have been calling for his removal.  Of course, the problem is that he's both AD and Head Football Coach.  I still think he's done a great job all things considered and with UAB being DIA for just 10 years, and I'm glad to see he gets some respect by those on the outside of the situation. 

Auburn is more likely to play us than Bama, but not even Auburn is willing to risk playing us anymore.  They'll probably wait until UAB goes down a little and THEN might consider it. 

UAB's depth has been a major concern in the past, but we're getting better and better recruiting classes all the time.  In fact, despite the fact that we're HEAVILY junior-senior laden, you'll see alot of freshmen playing for UAB when they hit the field in Knoxville.  We definitely dont have the depth of Tennessee, but we're in MUCH better shape than we've ever been.
[snapback]128058[/snapback]​

Frankly, Watson is a damn good coach. If it weren't for the GOB Bubbers running the UofA Board of Trustees, he would actually have a budget. Dem 'ar gud o boys are paranoid of UAB and will not give them an opportunity. IF Watson just had a few dollars in his pockets, he'd be the Boise State of this part of the country.

Blazer tell those UAB fans against Watson to quit acting like Bammers.

Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@Aug 21, 2005 9:47 AM
Frankly, Watson is a damn good coach.  If it weren't for the GOB Bubbers running the UofA Board of Trustees, he would actually have a budget.  Dem 'ar gud o boys are paranoid of UAB and will not give them an opportunity.  IF Watson just had a few dollars in his pockets, he'd be the Boise State of this part of the country.

Blazer tell those UAB fans against Watson to quit acting like Bammers.
[snapback]129240[/snapback]​

Well... part of the reason people get fed up with Watson is that he can have the team performing up to the level of UGA or LSU, but then the next week, playing down to the level of Tulane or South Florida. Consistency is the weakness in Watson-coached teams. This is the year to show what UAB is capable of though. You guys at Tenn. would absolutely be shocked at the facilities UAB is stuck with. Legion Field is a gem compared to some of our oncampus facilities for the athletes. UofA BOT have definitely been holding UAB back (especially with facilities and overall funding).

Originally posted by Vol67@Aug 21, 2005 1:27 AM
This Offense has a chance to be better than the 01 Offense
[snapback]129187[/snapback]​

That's not my worry. I just hope we have the "chemistry" of the '98 team. It just seemed like, no matter what, those boys were going out there and getting a "W." I'm not sure that a less probable group has won a NC in recent history. I seriously doubt that many people would call them our most talented team in the past decade, and look what they accomplished.

In all honesty, that's one of my biggest beefs with the QB controversy/competition. I'd like for one to step up and take the reigns for leadership purposes. Teams seem to rally around the field general.

Yeah... 14 pages on my screen too, but it all depends on how many posts per page you have it set for.

Originally posted by GOT TWELVE?@Aug 21, 2005 8:25 PM
it didnt, it went 14
[snapback]129450[/snapback]​

It did go 5 pages for me

Come on bammer, try to use some actual sense

VN Store

Back