USA Today SEC preview

Just checked it out on my phone and it predicts us winning only 2 SEC games, with another losing record overall!
Seriously, only 2 SEC wins!!
Keeps making me upset seeng Vandy above us!!!

Seriously, That is an improvement over last year.....It's not like We are returning 11 starters on offense and the best defense in the land..We are returning very few starters and a defense that was among the worse in NCAA history...We can only get better as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: 1 person
Let them predict what they will... we will have the last laugh when we are surprising some people and when we are bowling. Full Butch!! Go Vols!!

Reactions: 2 people
They had USCw in the top 3 last year, if not winning it all. That should tell you a lot about preseason polls. On the same token, I can only see us winning 3 maybe 4 SEC games. That would be a huge improvement over CDD.

Just checked it out on my phone and it predicts us winning only 2 SEC games, with another losing record overall!

Don't worry about it. What did they say about Mizzou? I am not sure why people keep overestimating MU... but they have holes in their starting line up and do not have SEC quality players as back ups at every position. They have a long way to go talent wise to catch up or even reach the level UT is at RIGHT NOW.

They are also overestimating Vandy. Vandy's best win last year was probably UT... the worst coached UT in at least 25 years AFTER the players had quit on the season.

If they are right.... then Jones ain't "the guy".

Until proven different, I'd have to agree with SEC today. I can only see 2 SEC wins this year, which will be a 100% improvement over the last 2 years.
Go Vols

Until proven different, I'd have to agree with SEC today. I can only see 2 SEC wins this year, which will be a 100% improvement over the last 2 years.
Go Vols

You really, honestly do not believe UT has more talent than UK, Vandy, and Mizzou? And if you do... you believe that Jones is going to be outcoached by one of those staffs?

If the latter... Jones ain't "the guy".

You really, honestly do not believe UT has more talent than UK, Vandy, and Mizzou? And if you do... you believe that Jones is going to be outcoached by one of those staffs?

If the latter... Jones ain't "the guy"

I'm with stj18. If we only win 2 SEC games, then "Jones ain't the guy". If Gruden was the coach, you guys would be predicting 7 or 8 wins. We should hold CBJ to the same standard. CBJ has to win 6 games this year and 7 or 8 next year. Improvement has to be shown. That's the bottom line.

If the latter... Jones ain't "the guy"

I'm with stj18. If we only win 2 SEC games, then "Jones ain't the guy". If Gruden was the coach, you guys would be predicting 7 or 8 wins. We should hold CBJ to the same standard. CBJ has to win 6 games this year and 7 or 8 next year. Improvement has to be shown. That's the bottom line.

Winning 2 SEC games would be an improvement. We won 2 in the last 2 years combined. Winning 2 would be doubling our production.

But, additionally, I think it's far more likely we lose to Auburn than Vandy/Kentucky/Mizzou. I think we have a decent shot of winning either the UF or the Auburn game. That's either a 3-5 or 4-4 SEC record.

We didn't lose Vandy/Mizzou due to less talent. We certainly have more talent than Vandy/Mizzou do across all positions top-bottom and especially on the OL/DL where it counts.

For what little it matters, UT has 7 players between 1st/2nd/3rd Team Pre-Season All SEC. Mizzou has 5, Vandy has 4.

Last edited:
Winning 2 SEC games would be an improvement. We won 2 in the last 2 years combined. Winning 2 would be doubling our production.

But, additionally, I think it's far more likely we lose to Auburn than Vandy/Kentucky/Mizzou. I think we have a decent shot of winning either the UF or the Auburn game. That's either a 3-5 or 4-4 SEC record.

We didn't lose Vandy/Mizzou due to less talent. We certainly have more talent than Vandy/Mizzou do across all positions top-bottom and especially on the OL/DL where it counts.

That's just my take.

Got to agree with that. Auburn has recruited well and has talent. Despite the coaching change they have a guy who is a respected up and comer.

That being said, Butch should be able to win 3 out of the following 4, and maybe all 4, of Mizzou, Vandy, Kentucky, Auburn.

Got to agree with that. Auburn has recruited well and has talent. Despite the coaching change they have a guy who is a respected up and comer.

That being said, Butch should be able to win 3 out of the following 4, and maybe all 4, of Mizzou, Vandy, Kentucky, Auburn.

I could easily see him winning 3 of those 4, then stealing an upset on one of the others. Huge season then.

how quick things can change in DI BCS football. Saban, Meyer, Miles all achieved relatively quick success. Is Butch Jones in their company? I hope so. We'll just have to see. All that national media sees is last season's record, check the roster for gains and losses, and adjust accordingly.

They still have a sports section?

how quick things can change in DI BCS football. Saban, Meyer, Miles all achieved relatively quick success. Is Butch Jones in their company? I hope so. We'll just have to see. All that national media sees is last season's record, check the roster for gains and losses, and adjust accordingly.

Well the cupboards definitely weren't bare when Saban went to Alabama and he definitely left Miles with a boatload of talent. Florida was already loaded with good players and Meyer just used the recruiting
hotbeds like Miles and Saban did/do year after year to get back to UF standards.

Change is naturally quicker for some entities.

If Gruden was coach he'd consume Saban and his team with fireballs from his arse.

I could easily see him winning 3 of those 4, then stealing an upset on one of the others. Huge season then.

That's what I would expect from a coach that "gets it". He should win the ones where he has more talent then at least one where he outcoaches someone with equal or more talent.

I have said from the start that I think Jones will win 7 if he's the coach UT needs to get back to the top. A coach that only beats the teams he should be will get UT back to the 2nd tier... but not the top.

Well the cupboards definitely weren't bare when Saban went to Alabama and he definitely left Miles with a boatload of talent. Florida was already loaded with good players and Meyer just used the recruiting
hotbeds like Miles and Saban did/do year after year to get back to UF standards.

Change is naturally quicker for some entities.

Saban inherited a program with alot of internal problems and some big roster holes at Bama. Meyer's team was loaded. But his O and that of UF previous were radically different... alot more so than the difference between Chaney and current.

And I don't really think anyone is looking for them to win a championship... its a nice dream but that would be an incredible run. We can accept that UT is not in the top 3-5 teams. I think many of us have trouble believing that the best we should hope for is beating 3 OOC scrubs and then Vandy, UK, and Mizzou. There is absolutely NO proof of good coaching in that.

Saban inherited a program with alot of internal problems and some big roster holes at Bama. Meyer's team was loaded. But his O and that of UF previous were radically different... alot more so than the difference between Chaney and current.

And I don't really think anyone is looking for them to win a championship... its a nice dream but that would be an incredible run. We can accept that UT is not in the top 3-5 teams. I think many of us have trouble believing that the best we should hope for is beating 3 OOC scrubs and then Vandy, UK, and Mizzou. There is absolutely NO proof of good coaching in that.

Reality really sucks, doesn't it?

If CBJ doesn't lose to UK, I will consider that an improvement.

If CBJ doesn't send 2 (not 1 but 2) extra players out on the field at the upset of top ranked team I will consider that an improvement.

If CBJ doesn't poop his pants against Mizzu I will consider that an improvement.

And if CBJ doesn't make any military references, e.g. "the british are coming" he is gold.

Reactions: 2 people
it's ok, it will just play into hyping CBJ for next years recruiting class when we end up with 8 wins.

VN Store

Back