UT WR Speed

Plenty fast with proper technique and route running. Devrin needs to make some plays this year in the new offense. All of them need to step up.

Agree. 40 speed and football speed are 2 different things.

Agree. 40 speed and football speed are 2 different things.

Eh, there's definitely overlap. For instance, the most common "football speed" attributes are "quickness/burst/etc" which is all well and good and are undoubtedly used more often in play than all out pure speed. However, anybody that's watched "Player X" (Willie Gault/Darrell Green/Deion Sanders/Bob Hayes/Chris Johnson/etc) do things that simply weren't going to happen without being as crazy fast as they were knows it can matter. When CP reversed field against NC State he was either going to be fast enough to make it all the way across and score or not. He was...and that's the kind of scenario where just being damn fast can matter.

Lots of HS guys run a 4.4. Not too many of them run that at the combine. Players get stronger but slower.

more likely that timings get more accurate....

also, am i the only one who doesnt think young is that fast? i mean ive never seen him blow by anyone. sure hes shifty and quick, but flat out fast? i dont see it. i would think that north, blanc, jenkins and harris would be some of the fastest guys we have. this isnt a knock on young because hes got some serious moves but i just dont see him as a burner.

more likely that timings get more accurate....

also, am i the only one who doesnt think young is that fast? i mean ive never seen him blow by anyone. sure hes shifty and quick, but flat out fast? i dont see it. i would think that north, blanc, jenkins and harris would be some of the fastest guys we have. this isnt a knock on young because hes got some serious moves but i just dont see him as a burner.

Young is not a "burner" but he's got a 100m State Runner Up to his credit and has officially gone under 10.80 twice. (PR 10.70 but I think that was barely over wind legal. His 10.76 is fully legit) BTW when he ran track this last season he posted the #2 60m time for the season with a 6.91. Again, not crazy fast by any means but if you post the 2nd fastest time on a D1 college track team you must have some decent wheels.

Reactions: 1 person
Young is not a "burner" but he's got a 100m State Runner Up to his credit and has officially gone under 10.80 twice. (PR 10.70 but I think that was barely over wind legal. His 10.76 is fully legit) BTW when he ran track this last season he posted the #2 60m time for the season with a 6.91. Again, not crazy fast by any means but if you post the 2nd fastest time on a D1 college track team you must have some decent wheels.

Baseball 60 Yard Dash - What's a Good Time?

from the above link: Most Major League Baseball (MLB) clubs look for times under 7.00 seconds. A 60 yard dash time between 6.7 – 6.9 usually equate to an average runner on the playing field.

my kid as a HS sr was a CF and run just under a 7.0 on a good day.. suprises me that DY is at that speed.

edit: SC track team list 3 members that went under 6.9 for the year.

Last edited:

from the above link: Most Major League Baseball (MLB) clubs look for times under 7.00 seconds. A 60 yard dash time between 6.7 – 6.9 usually equate to an average runner on the playing field.

my kid as a HS sr was a CF and run just under a 7.0 on a good day.. suprises me that DY is at that speed.

From what I can gather that story refers to hand timed 60's. Here's an article that anyone that wants to compare track vs "other" timing methods should read. Interesting stuff.

Combine experimenting with 40-yard dash timing - CBSSports.com

Em...You do know you are comparing a 60 yard dash time to a 60 METER dash time, don't you?

Experience and consistency with technique and catching beats speed all day. Jerry Rice was considered to have marginal speed.

And Leonard Scott and Kenny O'Neal were speedsters who couldn't catch a cold...

At a glance the fastest 100m for North and Blanc I found is 11.03 & 10.99 respectively. Fast but not burners.

To put it in perspective IIRC a 10.99 was also Justin Hunters PR.

Well, if Blanc's best time is the same as Hunter's, then that is fantastic. I am not sure what you would call a "burner" but it is to me. Hunter ran a 4.44 at the combine while CP ran a 4.42.

Well, if Blanc's best time is the same as Hunter's, then that is fantastic. I am not sure what you would call a "burner" but it is to me. Hunter ran a 4.44 at the combine while CP ran a 4.42.

Ah crap. Apologies, it's North that had the 10.99 and Blanc that had the 11.03. Actually thanks for pointing that out. I'll go back and change that now.

Ah crap. Apologies, it's North that had the 10.99 and Blanc that had the 11.03. Actually thanks for pointing that out. I'll go back and change that now.

No problem. Still not bad. I think our answer is that North can be our guy to stretch the field.

At a glance the fastest 100m for North and Blanc I found is 10.99 & 11.03 respectively. Fast but not burners.

To put it in perspective IIRC a 10.99 was also Justin Hunters PR.

Crazy to call hunter fast but not a burner. If we have 2 guys with "hunter speed" I'm happy. But not buying it. I think pig is probably our fastest guy and I don't think he's as fast as huntet

Crazy to call hunter fast but not a burner. If we have 2 guys with "hunter speed" I'm happy. But not buying it. I think pig is probably our fastest guy and I don't think he's as fast as huntet

If Hunter is a "burner" then what do you call guys that are faster, nevermind a good deal faster.

There's "fast" guys, of which Hunter is an example, and then there's "those guys". You don't need me to list any, you can probably come up with several off the top of your head. They're at a different level.

If Hunter is a "burner" then what do you call guys that are faster, nevermind a good deal faster.

There's "fast" guys, of which Hunter is an example, and then there's "those guys". You don't need me to list any, you can probably come up with several off the top of your head. They're at a different level.

Sure, each person has a different idea of the term and how many to lump into the category. I think you can put Hunter and CP in the category of fastest Vols WR's in the last 25 years. That would also include Stallworth, Meachem, Pickens, and Lucas Taylor. Peerless actually ran in the 4.5's at the combine, and Leonard Scott doesn't count. I don't know if I am leaving anyone else out. In my mind, that is probably a burner. Hunter and CP got behind the defense alot. We are doing well if two guys on our current team have his speed.

thats much faster than i would have guessed he is. i guess his straight line speed just doesnt translate very well because i just dont see it. again not a knock on him because i think hes a really good guy in space especially on punt returns.

Reactions: 1 person

how much more of a different level is out there and really how big of a difference is it though? i mean hunter ran a "legit" and by that i mean a real laser timed 4.44 at the combine, fastest thats ever been through there was what a 4.24 or something close to that by chris johnson? thats only 2 tenths of a second slower than the fastest guy in the nfl. two tenths of a second is not much on the field honestly. what would that be? a full step at 30-40 yards? if that? so how far away is this different level really?

how much more of a different level is out there and really how big of a difference is it though? i mean hunter ran a "legit" and by that i mean a real laser timed 4.44 at the combine, fastest thats ever been through there was what a 4.24 or something close to that by chris johnson? thats only 2 tenths of a second slower than the fastest guy in the nfl. two tenths of a second is not much on the field honestly. what would that be? a full step at 30-40 yards? if that? so how far away is this different level really?

It would be 2 yards.

whats with Bowles ? He was a HS AA what happened - is he not as advertised like Palardy and Darr were ?

Stallworth has one of the fastest 40's in the combine. Also I think D Mo ran at least one pass at the combine under 4.4

Look at it another way; picture Willie Gault or vetted mega-speedster of your choice leaving DB's plodding in molasses and ponder that most if not all of those DB's are going to be .3 or less slower through the 40. It doesn't "seem" like much just looking at the numbers but you know it when you see it.

VN Store

Back