Vacation / Travel

Pisa (butchered the spelling before) from memory was a fairly long drive to get there. I thought the adjacent church was beautiful. I thought the tower was incredible and couldn’t rationalize how it hadn’t fallen. I’d seen pictures and a documentary on tv where they had pumped concrete underneath it a few years back in an attempt to stabilize / straighten it somewhat. Seeing it in person was completely different for me. Wouldn’t be surprised to wake up any morning and read where it had fallen over. Not much there besides the church and tower except for the refugees trying to sell you crap that you’d never want. Glad I went but it’s probably a one time ever visit.

Don’t know if Europe is still being inundated with refugees, but it appeared to be a huge issue for them. Developed educated countries with distinct cultures and ways of life having all these nomadic uneducated and destitute folks floating up on their shores is a long term issue. My experiences there have helped shape my views on entry into the US by non-citizens which is it needs to be structured and not open boarders (JMO). If you are a 10th generation Barcelonian, your way of life is absolutely being changed and you had no say in it.

Pisa (butchered the spelling before) from memory was a fairly long drive to get there. I thought the adjacent church was beautiful. I thought the tower was incredible and couldn’t rationalize how it hadn’t fallen. I’d seen pictures and a documentary on tv where they had pumped concrete underneath it a few years back in an attempt to stabilize / straighten it somewhat. Seeing it in person was completely different for me. Wouldn’t be surprised to wake up any morning and read where it had fallen over. Not much there besides the church and tower except for the refugees trying to sell you crap that you’d never want. Glad I went but it’s probably a one time ever visit.

Don’t know if Europe is still being inundated with refugees, but it appeared to be a huge issue for them. Developed educated countries with distinct cultures and ways of life having all these nomadic uneducated and destitute folks floating up on their shores is a long term issue. My experiences there have helped shape my views on entry into the US by non-citizens which is it needs to be structured and not open boarders (JMO). If you are a 10th generation Barcelonian, your way of life is absolutely being changed and you had no say in it.
Here are some other towers:
10 Leaning Towers of Italy (not just in Pisa)
Ha, Pizza. Maybe spell check/autocorrect. I misspell words all day long.

Any opinions on Dominican Republic versus playa del Carmen, Mexico?

Family with teenagers.

Already got DR condo booked but can still back out. Looking at a house in Mexico.

One opinion I have is that if we get nailed with a positive Covid test on the way back, that it will be easier to find a decent place in PDC to stay for another week, with no advance notice.

Family with teenagers.

Already got DR condo booked but can still back out. Looking at a house in Mexico.

One opinion I have is that if we get nailed with a positive Covid test on the way back, that it will be easier to find a decent place in PDC to stay for another week, with no advance notice.

Mexico is better if you want to explore away from a resort. Dominican is sketchier IMO.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Visiting NYC for the first time soon. Staying in lower manhattan in the financial district, anyone have any tips/suggestions outside of the obvious things?
Might be obvious, but one of my favorite things we did was walk across the Brooklyn Bridge towards Manhattan.

NBC studio tour is pretty fun. Staten Island ferry is a free and easy way to get some cool views as well.

Reactions: Orange. and 615vols
Visiting NYC for the first time soon. Staying in lower manhattan in the financial district, anyone have any tips/suggestions outside of the obvious things?

If you like to bike, bike share is a great way to check out different neighborhoods. The Village has great restaurants and bars. Lupa is a really good Italian spot that was started by Mario Batali. Gotham is great if you want to do super fancy.

Red Rooster in Harlem is a good brunch spot with live gospel music on Sunday. The High Line is a pretty cool walk if you are around Chelsea. If you are there during a game, there is a bar the UT alumni set up for games, it is really fun and a good crowd.

Might be obvious, but one of my favorite things we did was walk across the Brooklyn Bridge towards Manhattan.

NBC studio tour is pretty fun. Staten Island ferry is a free and easy way to get some cool views as well.

Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely planning on walking the Brooklyn bridge

Reactions: ATC_VOL
If you like to bike, bike share is a great way to check out different neighborhoods. The Village has great restaurants and bars. Lupa is a really good Italian spot that was started by Mario Batali. Gotham is great if you want to do super fancy.

Red Rooster in Harlem is a good brunch spot with live gospel music on Sunday. The High Line is a pretty cool walk if you are around Chelsea. If you are there during a game, there is a bar the UT alumni set up for games, it is really fun and a good crowd.

Appreciate the suggestions. We are quite excited about the food, will remember these that you’ve mentioned. Any other can’t miss foods/snacks you guys like?

Appreciate the suggestions. We are quite excited about the food, will remember these that you’ve mentioned. Any other can’t miss foods/snacks you guys like?

Ed’s Lobster Bar is a good spot for lunch in SoHo. Marc Forgione in Tribeca for a fancy dinner. One of my favorites in Tribeca appears to have closed.

And difficult to beat sitting at the bar at Gramercy Tavern for a burger. There are so many good little neighborhood spots also, wish I could remember some.

And of course slices, from any hole in the wall pizza place you see.

Reactions: 615vols

Family with teenagers.

DR is rough

Reactions: TOUCHDOWN!!TN
travelling again in late Nov., didnt make it to the last time. may have to this time.

I just got back from Tanzania. I had planned to climb Kili but wasn’t able to due to my gear and luggage being lost! It never arrived in Tanz. So I flew home after waiting for 4 days . I found it all in Amsterdam but had a few items stolen. It didnt go to plan but I’m hopefully going back in December to finish what I started!!

Reactions: DocVOLiday

Check out Quality Italian by Central Park. The Chicken Parm is amazing - they make it like pizza with chicken as the "crust." Saw Phil Jackson there last time. Thai Villa for Thai food in Chelsea but also far away from south Manhattan. You will be right at the 911 memorial too. Cool bar in the "W" hotel that overlooks the site.

I just got back from Tanzania. I had planned to climb Kili but wasn’t able to due to my gear and luggage being lost! It never arrived in Tanz. So I flew home after waiting for 4 days . I found it all in Amsterdam but had a few items stolen. It didnt go to plan but I’m hopefully going back in December to finish what I started!!
Well, did you get to enjoy Amsterdam?

Well, did you get to enjoy Amsterdam?
No. I flew on to tanzanai because I didn’t know my luggage was lost there. I stayed in Tanzania until I had enough of one pair of clothes and then I flew home. Once I arrived on my connecting flight in Amsterdam, I received that text that KLM had found my luggage. So I grabbed it, took some clean clothes out, changed, rechecked it and flew home. Once I arrived in Nashville I noticed I had a few items stolen. It was a large adventure….

No. I flew on to tanzanai because I didn’t know my luggage was lost there. I stayed in Tanzania until I had enough of one pair of clothes and then I flew home. Once I arrived on my connecting flight in Amsterdam, I received that text that KLM had found my luggage. So I grabbed it, took some clean clothes out, changed, rechecked it and flew home. Once I arrived in Nashville I noticed I had a few items stolen. It was a large adventure….
Have you climbed many mountains? I have a friend who has climbed the highest mtn on every continent. I don't think that includes Antarctica, and he did not always go to the peak since he is about 75 years old now.

Last edited:
Morning all.

Wife and I are about to take our first real vacation for us since a 2019 trip to Japan (all our trips to Peru for family time don't count to me). The only time pressure on it is ending in Bilbao, Spain around the 7th of October to visit one of her cousins that lives there, and all the aunts and other cousins that will be visiting at that time (so I guess we are getting family time anyway). We also need to be back to DC by the 20th of October.

She has a huge list of wants for the trip, but we're planning to start somewhere in Italy in early to mid-September. I prefer countryside, but she wants to see literally all the cities of Italy, the Amalfi Coast, plus Barcelona and Madrid. I understand this is impossible, she maybe understands it's impossible, and I need a scapegoat to sacrifice some of the places off our list (you all will do :) ).

As we've never been to Europe, I need a little help planning this out. We are really open to anything, but the important notes are we are both fluent in Spanish, are probably more "cultural" tourists that prefer a trip that's a little less instagram-y and a little more real, and at least one of us (me) is a massive history/religion buff. I'm thinking we have to do Rome and see at least some of the touristy stuff there, but beyond that I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help AT ALL is appreciated, and I'm off work most of this week so I can answer any questions too.

Morning all.

She has a huge list of wants for the trip, but we're planning to start somewhere in Italy in early to mid-September. I prefer countryside, but she wants to see literally all the cities of Italy, the Amalfi Coast, plus Barcelona and Madrid. I understand this is impossible, she maybe understands it's impossible, and I need a scapegoat to sacrifice some of the places off our list (you all will do :) ).

As we've never been to Europe, I need a little help planning this out. We are really open to anything, but the important notes are we are both fluent in Spanish, are probably more "cultural" tourists that prefer a trip that's a little less instagram-y and a little more real, and at least one of us (me) is a massive history/religion buff. I'm thinking we have to do Rome and see at least some of the touristy stuff there, but beyond that I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help AT ALL is appreciated, and I'm off work most of this week so I can answer any questions too.

Never been to Italy but about 15 years ago was thinking about doing a walking tour there. I had an Italian work colleague who said walking tours are very popular and you get to see scenic countryside and some out of the way places. I remember showing her the Backroads Hiking Tour itinerary for Italy and she said the itinerary was fine but the price was outrageously high. She said if you could book with an Italian tour group, you would go to the same places, stay at the same inns but at much less cost. The only issue would be that the others on your tour would be Italian and that the guide wouldn't be speaking in English. September is supposed to be pretty good for walking in Italy.

Morning all.

Wife and I are about to take our first real vacation for us since a 2019 trip to Japan (all our trips to Peru for family time don't count to me). The only time pressure on it is ending in Bilbao, Spain around the 7th of October to visit one of her cousins that lives there, and all the aunts and other cousins that will be visiting at that time (so I guess we are getting family time anyway). We also need to be back to DC by the 20th of October.

Best time of year to go: nice weather, kids in school(mid Sept), fewer tourist.
Your Spanish will be a significant help in italy.
The Colosseum was built around 80 AD. I would visit and see inside and out. Pantheon is another must see. I'd read about the places you plan to visit Rome is nice to walk around in at night.
Vatican/Sistene Chapel is worth visiting. Probably hire a guide.
Venice is interesting, 1 or 2 days.
Tuscany is a beautiful area and a nice drive. Probably what you think of when you think of the Italian countryside.
Amalfi coast drive is so beautiful it's hard to keep your eyes on the road. Ha, almost all roads are more narrow than in the US.
The towns are picturesque. Go to a excellent restaurant like La Tagliata. There are many.(Tripadvisor or similar).
Don't miss Pompei(possible guide).
There are plenty of other beautiful areas to see. The age is one thing that makes everything so beautiful.
We've been to Italy several times. Unlikely we will go again.20220328_112344 (1).jpg20220326_094454 (1).jpg

Morning all.

you're gonna be there a month and a half, Wow!, What a trip. You might add Greece, France and/or more of Spain to your trip. Even England or the Netherlands. Flights are cheaper in Europe, and public transportation is better and more plentiful than here.
One good thing is the crime in most of western Europe is non-violent. Mostly pick pockets. I'd get a money belt. keep IDs, CCs, money, etc. in it.
FWIW, I'm on your wife's side. :) See it all.

If you drink wine get the house wine in Italy and France. Cheap and probably better than anything you get here.

Reactions: ButchPlz

VN Store

Back