Vanilla offense

Keep the whole offense on the table every play of every game.
Just because they have plenty of film to digest, doesn't mean they know what our routes will be on each play.
CJH is still refining the offense and is very talented in customizing the offense to face the opposing defense. It is hard to defend an offense as greedy as ours, no matter the practice or plan.

Last edited:
Smh its fairly easy to skim thru post and see who actual watches football and who just shows up on Saturday's and theres nothing wrong with that.NC State will whip our asses if we come out vanilla,thats a deep talented team with a bunch of dude's with an exp quarterback..The world discredits them and they belive in themselves...makes u think of another team in 2022 dont it.

They are not to be underestimated.

1. They have a transfer QB from Coastal, and some really good WRs.

2. Their defense lost some key pieces to the draft, but they can score points at a high clip to make up for it.

This isn’t a game we can snooze through to be sure but I don’t expect Heupel to have us unprepared with a whole offseason to think about it.

It’s the 5th of July and I’m off work and it’s raining. Boredom setting in. Here ya go.
Do we keep it vanilla against NC state and take care of business, while saving the goods for OU? Or do we flex and rout them?
PS this is hypothetical and hopefully we don’t have to throw the book at nc state for a win.
NC state can beat us if we don’t show up. Nico needs all the practice he can get with full playbook.

Smh its fairly easy to skim thru post and see who actual watches football and who just shows up on Saturday's and theres nothing wrong with that.NC State will whip our asses if we come out vanilla,thats a deep talented team with a bunch of dude's with an exp quarterback..The world discredits them and they belive in themselves...makes u think of another team in 2022 dont it.
Thank you for that 😘😘😘

Actually*

If they go into the NC State game with the expectation that they will win easily, they could easily lose.

The best team we've had in 20 years had to take Pitt to overtime.

I do not expect NC State to be far off from that 2022 Pitt team. They have a very capable, veteran QB. Where we have Nico in his 2nd real start and first that has quite a bit of season defining pressure on it.

If they go into the NC State game with the expectation that they will win easily, they could easily lose.

The best team we've had in 20 years had to take Pitt to overtime.

I do not expect NC State to be far off from that 2022 Pitt team. They have a very capable, veteran QB. Where we have Nico in his 2nd real start and first that has quite a bit of season defining pressure on it.
Yes. A veteran QB with weapons against a pretty green secondary. It could go potentially go sideways. Or we could dominate them. Who knows.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Coach Heup will have the guys ready to execute and our DL will control the game… McCall is experienced but last season he wasn’t as good as his previous season and this will be his first year in a system that is not particularly explosive… I do think they will be a tough team but I expect the Vols to come out victorious… that nc state team is good and I’m glad we get them earlier in the season before some of those talented transfers get a chance to truly gel… I think we win no matter what though I like our roster and staff better than theirs… this is the year we show that we have truly turned the corner as a program and that game is one we need to win to show that.

The offense is usually pretty vanilla to begin with. The key is to get the chains moving and attack the mismatches. I expect a heavy dose of the screen game and run game with some haymakers mixed in. Last year’s team found themselves behind schedule on 2nd down too often. Nico’s ability to extend plays/drives with his legs will unlock a big part of the offense that was missing with Milton

Yes. A veteran QB with weapons against a pretty green secondary. It could go potentially go sideways. Or we could dominate them. Who knows.
It’s NC State. There is no reason why we shouldn’t dominate them. If we don’t, that’s gonna raise some serious questions about the rest of the season.

Reactions: Swiftybaby
It’s the 5th of July and I’m off work and it’s raining. Boredom setting in. Here ya go.
Do we keep it vanilla against NC state and take care of business, while saving the goods for OU? Or do we flex and rout them?
PS this is hypothetical and hopefully we don’t have to throw the book at nc state for a win.
NC State is good and it will come down to how quickly the new QB, RB and WR (all transfers) ramp up.

I like our offensive weapons vs. their Defense but their star WR (Concepcion) is a playmaker and will cause us fits if we aren't dialed in w/pressure up front and solid coverage.

We should win the game but early season and anything can happen. Let's go Vols!

I think we went vanilla in a couple games last year and it hurt us. Albeit, some of that was due to key injuries and limitations at QB. I think Nico will bring another dimension to QB with his legs and touch on the ball, but I think using his run game is something we may do less intentionally in some games depending on matchups and pressure packages from their defense. What I hope to see is more half time adjustments and better scrambling plays to get positive yardage out of busted plays this year as well as more consistent line play. I also hope to see more depth at line as a contributor. Mays has been around so long that we should have had time to develop someone to relieve him some. I can’t remember a season where he played every game healthy. Sadly, I am not sure he is ever going to be 100% again for any sustainable amount of time.

I still believe our OL was our weakest link last year until Hadden and some other guys got hurt. Our LBs had issues too. Key injuries there as well. But we are talking O here, so I digress.

Haven't seen this mentioned much on this thread, but we better be able to run the ball...
And on D, get more than one TO.

Don't underestimate State

It’s NC State. There is no reason why we shouldn’t dominate them. If we don’t, that’s gonna raise some serious questions about the rest of the season.
Case in point. They are coming off a 9 win season with a greatly improved QB. I'm certainty not picking us to lose but the whole "It's NC State so we should blow them out" thinking is a trap. Right now Vegas has us a 4.5-5.5 pt favorite, I think that's probably about right.

They are always gonna play you tough and are usually a tough out.... Just be ready for a hard game. Looking ahead at Ok. is not a good approach.

17) Tennessee Volunteers​

Those in Knoxville have seemingly named Nico Iamaleava the chosen one, and with Josh Heupel running the show, it’s hard to dispute them. There are solid starters at every position on offense, and the defense returns many of its first-teamers from 2023, including game-altering EDGE James Pearce Jr.

Tennessee went 9-4 with Joe Milton at the helm — if Iamaleava lives up to the hype, a 10+ campaign is well within reach.

16) North Carolina State Wolfpack​

The Wolfpack won five of their last six games to finish 9-4 last season, and that momentum should carry over to 2024. The quarterback room hasn’t exactly been the modicum of consistency for the Wolfpack, but Dave Doeren has rectified the issue by bringing in Coastal Carolina’s Grayson McCall.

The three-time Sun Belt Player of the Year is surrounded by 2023 ACC Rookie of the Year WR Kevin Concepcion, UConn’s 2023 receiving yards leader TE Justin Joly, and Duke transfer RB Jordan Waters. Although the defense lost some veteran leaders, namely LB Payton Wilson and EDGE Davin Vann, CB Aydan White can generate turnovers independently.

Relax early in the season we just need to win no matter how… 2022 probably dominates Pitt late in the season but needed OT and some big plays to find a way in week 2… I feel like we can beat bc state by 2 plus tds but I also see them giving us a tough game because they are a top 4 acc team and it’s early in the season… the difference between this year and 2022 is I think the defense will hold up better even if the offense gets off to a slower start though in 2022 the defense did win that Pitt game for us they were all over the Pitt QBs… The name of the game is win no matter how especially early

Line 'em up,throw it all out and over the field,and tell them all,"try to stop this sh..t!"Don't save anything for anyone.Let them see it and try to stop it.I like vanilla,but ,only in a milkshake.
Then you should try a REAL shake. Ever heard of a Bourbon Milk Punch?
Heck! Go all out and drinkit with a slice of Vanilla Buttermilk Pie.

VN Store

Back