Vols #7 in the week 3 AP Poll

If we win at Norman, we prob jump into top 5. We will be playing Bama in Knoxville while GA will be playing at TX. Talk about your big national championship impact day! Neither tOSU or PSU play that day so a big ratings day for the SEC. Go Vols.

Sadly due to previous commitments to friends we will be at the Vandy/Ball St game. It is OK to laugh. Hopefully it will be a nooner and we can race back to the hotel and catch the other 2.
Much as I hate to say, but TX is looking quite good right now to take UGA down.

Reactions: volfannga
Bama is getting a bump because who they have been the last 15 years. Once reality sets in and people realize it’s not the same Saban team they won’t get a bump anymore.
DeBoer mat not be Saban, but he is a very good coach, did a really good job at UW, and was likely the only real choice to succeed Saban and hold the program together as he establishes himself in Bama Land.

Missouri on upset alert this week. Thomas Castellanos is a dangerous 2 way threat that rushed for 1k yds last year and has been extremely efficient throwing the ball this year. I expect a high scoring affair.

They play Mizzou on sept 21. SOOOOO.......

awkward get out GIF by CBC
Any other year i'd agree but its been a wild season so far. ND drops one to NIU. Then in the SEC USCe laid the hammer on UK after struggling to put Old Dominion away. Bama had problems with USF for way too long. Oklahoma Houston was wild. Cal Auburn. And Vandy held a football team to 71 yards of total offense and scored on them pretty much every way scores can be scored. I feel like if they can beat GA State (who just barely beat UTC) they could roll into Missou and pull the upset coming off their battle with equally surprising BC. Bro this seasons 2 weeks in and whole fan bases are reevaluating life choices already.

All jokes Aside. I don't see Vandy being a threat to UT at all period. But, If they can win their OOC games and knock off Missou, USCe and Auburn (teams we don't play) it looks a lot better us ending the season spanking a bowl-eligible Vandy with a top 10 scalp in its bank. BC spanked FSU a team with way more talent than Missou and should have been on full alert after losing to GT. I think they can put some serious PTSD on Missou and set Vandy up to sneak in on em with their bootleg Tebow at QB. Their thing is not sustainable but if they can keep it going for 2 more weeks its works out for us for sure. We want all our future opponents to win as many games as possible especially against non-common opponents.

DeBoer may not be Saban, but he is a very good coach, did a really good job at UW, and was likely the only real choice to succeed Saban and hold the program together as he establishes himself in Bama Land.
I am not sure DeBoer will be able to maintain the same level of competence as Saban. However, I do think they will continue to be a very good football program. Kirby added a lot to Saban's coaching greatness.

Reactions: Vol_in_NC_1999
Missouri on upset alert this week. Thomas Castellanos is a dangerous 2 way threat that rushed for 1k yds last year and has been extremely efficient throwing the ball this year. I expect a high scoring affair.
Mizzou needs to be knocked off their high horse

Reactions: Carp
I am not sure DeBoer will be able to maintain the same level of competence as Saban. However, I do think they will continue to be a very good football program. Kirby added a lot to Saban's coaching greatness.
No one in CFB can match the competence of Saban. He was a generational coach that will not be matched for many generations. But, Bama did go out and get the best man for the job to handle following Saban. Atleast that's my opinion. Kirby would have been the other choice, and he had no reason to leave UGA for Bama. He's proven to be very competent in his own right and is winning big at his alma mater. In many ways, he mimicks Saban's on field demeanor, and his demand for excellence. He's just a good bit more vocal. Saban didn't have to say much. I think Coach H is headed the right direction quickly, and will continue to establish a force at UT that has been absent for some time. He'll be somewhere between Saban and Kirby on field. IMO, Kirby's success at UGA seems to be because he may have set out to replicate the Bama process, and properly use what he should have learned from Saban.

No one in CFB can match the competence of Saban. He was a generational coach that will not be matched for many generations. But, Bama did go out and get the best man for the job to handle following Saban. Atleast that's my opinion. Kirby would have been the other choice, and he had no reason to leave UGA for Bama. He's proven to be very competent in his own right and is winning big at his alma mater. In many ways, he mimicks Saban's on field demeanor, and his demand for excellence. He's just a good bit more vocal. Saban didn't have to say much. I think Coach H is headed the right direction quickly, and will continue to establish a force at UT that has been absent for some time. He'll be somewhere between Saban and Kirby on field. IMO, Kirby's success at UGA seems to be because he may have set out to replicate the Bama process, and properly use what he should have learned from Saban.
Do not want to diminish Kirby but he also benefits from an immense talent pool in the state of GA with no other real in-state competition. We used to live in Gwinnett County. I remember one year and our local paper listed signees and I remember there being 91 that year with many going to SEC and ACC schools.

As much as we hoped bama would screw up Saban's replacement, they may have found the best possible coach for the job. They will thrive off the Saban culture and recruiting for a few years until it becomes 100% Deboer's program. Then we'll see if Saban was some sort of football savant. Folks expecting an immediate drop-off are going to be disappointed.

Thankfully, we are finally recovered from the devastation of making not 1, but 4 significantly flawed coaching hires after Fulmer. It is hard to comprehend how much incompetence was required to do that!

I think it would be unfair for anyone, 'Bama fan or otherwise, to expect any coach to continue the greatness Alabama experienced in the last 15 years. 6 titles between 2009-2020 is a once in a generation achievement. It's like us trying to replace Pat Summit. You just can't.

1725897905247.png

Btw I'm just kind of echoing what you and others have already said. Not disagreeing in the least. I happened to look up the stats and it's hard to come to grips how good Bama really was.

Do not want to diminish Kirby but he also benefits from an immense talent pool in the state of GA with no other real in-state competition. We used to live in Gwinnett County. I remember one year and our local paper listed signees and I remember there being 91 that year with many going to SEC and ACC schools.
Richt (and every other coach they hired before Kirby) has had that same talent pool and did not recruit at as high a level or win nearly as many games or titles.

Reactions: volfannga
Georgia has 2 RBs from California. 1 from Mississippi.
WR from Missouri. WR from Tennessee Etc…

They don’t lock down that state nearly as much people think…

Georgia has to recruit nationally

Based on 2 weeks of actual results, not bias.

1. Texas
2. Georgia
3. Tennessee
4. Miami
5. USC
6. Ole Miss
7. Ohio State
8. Missouri
9. Alabama
10. Penn State

How the hell did Mizzou get a schedule that leaves out the top 5 teams in the SEC (UGA, Texas, Bama, Ole Miss and The real UT, not to mention UF)? Who made the schedule? Dickwitz?

College Football Sport GIF by Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic
They play bama, but still one of the easiest schedules in the SEC.

I hate it but they are good. 10-2 last year with only losses being close games to LSU and UGA. Beat the crap out of us and beat Ohio State in the bowl.

And if you look at their schedule they may have the easiest schedule in the SEC. They don’t have to play UGA, Tennessee, or Texas. Only tough games are Alabama and Oklahoma and something tells me Bama is close to dropping some games they shouldn’t.
hmm

VN Store

Back