Vols Fall Practice #10

I was one of the ones hesitant on the passing lately. TIFWIW, but I have ran back through all threads and came up with the conclusion that every time we have a 5 yard outs, curls, slants practice we hear that we are crisp. Every time we hear that we had a deep ball practice we hear that we struggled. Maybe means nothing, who knows. I say this with the understanding that the media sees next to nothing. So, we’ll see. It was only an observation. I don’t think the sky is falling. Lol

So Sampson is fine just being precautionary?
It does seem that way. But he has missed basically every practice other than the first few at this point other than stretching out and working with the coaches. Must not be very confident AT ALL in our depth there.

It does seem that way. But he has missed basically every practice other than the first few at this point other than stretching out and working with the coaches. Must not be very confident AT ALL in our depth there.
I know i read a couple practices ago i believe he had a knee brace on hopefully its not a sprain of some sort. That can be nagging.

Gaston was named starter for the opening stretcher.
Did you see the smooth transition and give to the back in that first video? Gaston has clearly taken the reins, and it is pretty easy that he’s going to be QB1. The question is whether or not we start him vs UTC or should we surprise NC State in Charlotte and blindside them with Gaston getting the starting the nod. Or do we rotate them out the way Spurrier used to do w/ Jesse Palmer and Doug Johnson?

Reactions: Adam2014
I don’t think he’s missing practices. I think he’s not doing the drill portions of practice that the media sees. You don’t want to aggravate an injury in a drill to a starter of his caliber. I feel pretty confident that he’s been participating in team reps

Reactions: VFLBerg
It's quite the opposite. Since Heupel has been here, the starters had to practice because there was quite literally no one else to do it, and sometimes you need actual college level players in there for the reps to mean anything.

What you're seeing now is no different than what you are seeing in 32 NFL training camps. Guys who have done it already don't need to get every rep for the month leading into the season.

We are playing UT Chat for a reason.

I think Boo will be a gamer when he steps on the field, but I'm excited to see what C. Harrison can do.
It's really nice to see some guys step up and compete. I am reluctant to say maybe they can establish a 2 deep rotation. When is the last time UT had the luxury?

I wonder what all the Gaston Moore pumpers will think about this one. I’m ready to hear coping from all the guys ready to crown him starter yesterday after one bad practice from Nico.

Gaston Moore for the Heisman!!!

I wonder what all the Gaston Moore pumpers will think about this one. I’m ready to hear coping from all the guys ready to crown him starter yesterday after one bad practice from Nico.
I am proud we have a guy bought in to do whatever the coach asks of him. Hope like heck we don’t need him, but I PERSONALLY have the faith he is competent to take the ball as needed and get us going as a backup. Having those Daryl Dickey vibes. He was not Tony, but played well.

If Nico got his bell rung, especially early before our other freshman gets right, I will not fear a modified game plan with him.

Heup is just holding certain people out to make sure they are fresh for the season. Coop and Sampson are the two being limited the most because they are anticipated to have the highest snap count of anyone on the team.
yeah, Heupel seems to hold back the established guys when they aren't certain of the back ups.

Protects the known starter, and gives the back up more reps.

and it could be gamesmanship. if the media is restricted to two 5 minute segments, Heupel could be playing those guys for the majority of practice but controlling what got out to the media.

I am proud we have a guy bought in to do whatever the coach asks of him. Hope like heck we don’t need him, but I PERSONALLY have the faith he is competent to take the ball as needed and get us going as a backup. Having those Daryl Dickey vibes. He was not Tony, but played well.

If Nico got his bell rung, especially early before our other freshman gets right, I will not fear a modified game plan with him.
I think it’s more likely that Jake M. would get the start if Nico got hurt, imo. Not sure why everyone is so ready to label Gaston as this seasoned veteran when he’s attempted half as many passes as Nico has and has played 3 more seasons.

I think it’s more likely that Jake M. would get the start if Nico got hurt, imo. Not sure why everyone is so ready to label Gaston as this seasoned veteran when he’s attempted half as many passes as Nico has and has played 3 more seasons.
His total grasp of the CJH system I think makes him initial guy till the MERKANATOR gets fully on board.

VN Store

Back