Vols Fall Practice #3

Fingers

Starting right guard Javontez Spraggins was back at practice after missing Thursday while handling a personal matter, and it appears like offensive tackle Lance Heard is starting to do more as he comes back from a minor knee procedure over the summer. The starting left tackle is moving around better and again was involved in individual drills and looked to be going through a full-line work as we were leaving the field.
Wide receiver Bru McCoy continues to do a little more and Nathan Leacock has shed the knee brace he had on earlier in camp.
Three players who are still limited and were working inside as the team went outdoors: Freshman wideout Mike Matthews, transfer cornerback Jalen McMurray and freshman linebacker Jordan Burns.
Three players who are still limited and were working inside as the team went outdoors: Freshman wideout Mike Matthews, transfer cornerback Jalen McMurray and freshman linebacker Jordan Burns.
This was noted by head coach Josh Heupel after Tennessee’s first camp practice, but a closer look on Saturday validated how much different Joshua Josephs looks physically. The junior LEO has filled out his upper body and has long, chiseled arms – he doesn’t look like an underclassman anymore, that’s for sure. The Vols are hoping everything clicks this season for the gifted edge rusher.
Speaking of edge rushers, watching James Pearce Jr. do anything is impressive, even the mundane turnover circuit. The last to go through his group on a strip-sack drill, his get-off is noticeable elite and on his rep on Saturday he just palmed the football off the blocking pad and tucked it on fell swoop after all of his teammates batted it away and had to chase it down. Pearce was a handful for Tennessee’s offensive tackles the first two days of camp from what we’ve heard.
Freshman running back Peyton Lewis does not look like a freshman physically. Listed at 6-foot-1 and 210 pounds, the former Top247 prospect and is a well-put-together young player. Lewis looks extremely explosive thanks to what might be the biggest set of quads on the team.
The Vols split up their defensive backs so the safety/Star group included the likes of Andre Turrentine, Jourdan Thomas, Will Brooks, Boo Carter, Christian Charles, Christian Harrison, John Slaughter, Jakobe Thomas and Edrees Farooq.
The cornerbacks were split into two groups... One group had Rickey Gibson III, William Wright and freshmen Kaleb Beasley and Marcus Goree Jr., and the other had Jermod McCoy, Jordan Matthews (who is getting a chance to show what he can with McMurray not practicing), Montrell Bandy and Colin Brazzell (Chris’s brother).
Similar to Josephs, another player who’s a junior who no longer looks like an underclassman is Kalib Perry. He is a good-looking athlete with a lean frame and long arms, and he might be Tennessee’s most safety-looking linebacker, if that makes sense.
The first round was crisp as wide receivers Bru McCoy, Squirrel White and Kaleb Webb and tight end Ethan Davis looked athletic and natural catching slant passes. The next round was the same way with Dont’e Thornton Jr., Holden Staes and Chas Nimrod and Chris Brazzell II snagging their passes, and Leacock, Miles Kitselman and Dayton Sneed all caught their targets before Trey Weary couldn’t snag a high throw.
It apparently didn’t continue as there was a stretch of four drops in a row on slants with McCoy, White, Webb and Thornton the offenders on catchable throws.
In center/guard drills, Cooper Mays and Vysen Lang and William Satterwhite got the snapping work. Mays worked alongside right guards Spraggins and Jackson Lampley. Satterwhite got reps next to left guard Shamurad Umarov, and the other players over there included Andrej Karic, freshman Max Anderson and Brian Grant, who might no longer be a tackle.
p.brown

Cam Seldon and Lance Heard seem to be progressing nicely. The sophomore running back is still donning a red non-contact jersey, but continues to be going through individual drills with his fellow teammates. It’s been said that he appears to be ahead of schedule to this point, but Tennessee will remain cautious.
Heard is easing himself back into the fold following a minor ‘clean up’ procedure this summer. He will be fine for the season, but won’t be going all-out, full-speed on every drill to begin camp. That’s OK. He was seen doing more on Saturday morning than he was in the previous two practices. Heard was taking part in most of the individual periods and when the offensive line came together at the end for group work (while the media was walking off the field), Heard was the first left tackle up.
Freshman wide receiver Mike Matthews continues to be limited, but it’s nothing serious and is expected back in then fold here soon
Lance Heard took his spot at left tackle with the rest of the ‘first’ group. Andrej Karic was also the first left guard up. Take that for what it is worth on day three. The offensive line was also stepping through their pass drops before ramping up the intensity.
The tight ends were hitting the blocking sled for much of the individual period. From the eye test, that group looks good. Miles Kitselman is a big dude. So is Holden Staes and we know about the progress Ethan Davis has been making with the strength and conditioning, as well as nutritional, programs. Though none of he three have much experience in this offense, Tennessee may have more ‘depth’ at the spot than it’s ever had under this regime. All three of those guys will play.
And finally, routes on air. It was not the best looking portion we’ve seen so far in camp. The drill, that was throwing into the endzone from the 10-yard line this morning, started off strong before becoming sloppy in a hurry. On one specific sequence, there were four-straight drops on balls thrown by Nico Iamaleava. The drops came from Bru McCoy, Squirrel White, Kaleb Webb and Dont’e Thornton. Not all of the throws were great, but all four should have been caught. Coaches were….not pleased, to say the least.
McCoy made a nice catch in the back of the end zone, tip toeing to stay in bounds.
Coach ‘Chop’ was pretty animated a couple of times as James Pearce, Kalib Perry and Emmanuel Okoye didn’t scoop the football properly during a turnover drill. He was telling them to get their hands under the football to scoop it, rather than trying to pick it up one-handed on the run.
Arion Carter, as usual, was jumping around and trying to set the tempo for the group. Run recognition followed the drill before they began collisioning the No. 2 receiver out in space.
e.cain

Mike Matthews was stretching but not dressed out and didn’t do any drill work. Cam Seldon remained in a red non contact jersey but was going through drills while we were out there.
Here was the order that the running backs went through the drill: Dylan Sampson, DeSean Bishop, Patrick Wilk, Peyton Lewis, Hunter Barnes, Khalifa Keith and finally Seldon.
There was some changes with who all worked with Nico Iamaleava— Bru McCoy and Squirrel White were still with him, Ethan Davis was back at the tight end but Kaleb Webb worked with the first team for the first time this fall.
The second team working with Gaston Moore was Donte Thornton, Holden Staes, Chas Nimrod and Chris Brazzell. The third team with Jake Merklinger was Nathan Leacock, Miles Kitselman, Dayton Snead and Trey Weary. Freshman Braylon Staley was with Navy Shuler in the fourth team.
Results were a mixed bag. The first time through was extremely crisp besides one high throw from Jake Merklinger. The second time through had a truly dreadful stretch where White, Webb and Thornton all dropped accurate passes on three consecutive reps.
It’s three days in, it’s routes on air and we haven’t watched Tennessee work on the downfield passing game a ton to this point, but Iamaleava has been very accurate with the football.
a few interesting notes from the freshman as most were working at tackle including Gage Ginther, Jesse Perry, Bennett Warren and Jeremias Heard. I expected both Ginther and Heard to work on the interior of the offensive line.
Freshman linebacker Jordan Burns was working off to the side without pads. Same was the case for Temple cornerback transfer Jalen McMurray but besides that Tennessee is healthy on the defensive side of the ball.
Christian Charles was working with the safeties during the drill portion of practice and was getting some extra instruction from Tim Banks.
freshman Edwin Spillman looked good going through drills. He moves well for a big guy. How he performs in pass coverage is still the question I have about him.
r.schumpert

Javontez Spraggins missed last practice but we here today
Nathan Leacock had a knee brace last practice, it was off today
Mike Matthews still no helmet, not doing much but doing what he can
DeSean Bishop continued to get RB2 reps
Andrej Karic was first to get LG reps at the end
Chas Nimrod's footwork caught my eye, nice jab step before running in-route
r.sylvia

First, what caught my eye above all else, is the obvious camaraderie among the coaches. Back pats, quickie hand shakes, and short comments among them. I believe t bespeaks of the Vols being a team from top to bottom, sideways, and everything else.

Second, we look bigger than we have in a while, at least it seems that way to me. We're more SEC-ish. Throwback to our 1990s roots. Big OL, hopefully a stingy defense, that allowed us to bully teams.

Third, the comment about Peyton Lewis's quads, and explosiveness. Well, I asked Nathan (my dog) about that. He took a drink from his water bowl, sniffed his roasted beef knuckle bone chew, and looked at me for a moment. Then he said, the UT now has a Barry Sanders RB. I opted not to argue with him, on account he busied himself with that beef knuckle bone chew. It just ain't a good idea to get on his nerves when he's having his chew. Gets as ornery as my now deceased Uncle Buckee, when he'd shove in a hunk of Red Man chew, sat outside to enjoy a summer breeze in peace. Peace being the magic word.

Fourth, I'm hyper excited for our team to launch and provide us with an out of this world season experience.
Volnaut2.jpg

First, what caught my eye above all else, is the obvious camaraderie among the coaches. Back pats, quickie hand shakes, and short comments among them. I believe t bespeaks of the Vols being a team from top to bottom, sideways, and everything else.

Second, we look bigger than we have in a while, at least it seems that way to me. We're more SEC-ish. Throwback to our 1990s roots. Big OL, hopefully a stingy defense, that allowed us to bully teams.

Third, the comment about Peyton Lewis's quads, and explosiveness. Well, I asked Nathan (my dog) about that. He took a drink from his water bowl, sniffed his roasted beef knuckle bone chew, and looked at me for a moment. Then he said, the UT now has a Barry Sanders RB. I opted not to argue with him, on account he busied himself with that beef knuckle bone chew. It just ain't a good idea to get on his nerves when he's having his chew. Gets as ornery as my now deceased Uncle Buckee, when he'd shove in a hunk of Red Man chew, sat outside to enjoy a summer breeze in peace. Peace being the magic word.

Fourth, I'm hyper excited for our team to launch and provide us with an out of this world season experience.
View attachment 664256
As I recall we had a pretty good running back in the late nineties who had pretty impressive thighs by all reports.

Hopefully we clean up these dropped passes as camp progresses.
Yep it sucks to hear especially since we had similar problems last year.I get Heupel has a "plan" in place and the way he likes it done but im seriously hoping he doesn't stick to his seniors or bust mentality and we see a few freshman get work.Staley runnin with the 4s is nuts..Id def bring some of the 2nd 3rd teamer guys up and let them eat for a few days.If nothing else than to say "hey if you don't wanna catch that football,we got plenty of dudes that will"Honestly its prob just week 1 knocking the rust off now if their still dropping catchable balls over the next 2 weeks then we can ring the alarm..Lets give the dudes chances to return from injuries and get there football legs back under.

Yep it sucks to hear especially since we had similar problems last year.I get Heupel has a "plan" in place and the way he likes it done but im seriously hoping he doesn't stick to his seniors or bust mentality and we see a few freshman get work.Staley runnin with the 4s is nuts..Id def bring some of the 2nd 3rd teamer guys up and let them eat for a few days.If nothing else than to say "hey if you don't wanna catch that football,we got plenty of dudes that will"Honestly its prob just week 1 knocking the rust off now if their still dropping catchable balls over the next 2 weeks then we can ring the alarm..Lets give the dudes chances to return from injuries and get there football legs back under.
Receivers will be fine and are much more dynamic this year.

Brazzel will be a starter week 1

VN Store

Back