Vols Fall Practice #6

Fingers

Freshman Mike Matthews was back in full uniform and running routes for the first time that we’ve seen in camp, and Dont’e Thornton Jr. looked back to something close to full participation after being limited a couple of days ago. Kaleb Webb was running routes in a red non-contact jersey. The receiving corps wasn’t quite yet full-strength, though, as Chris Brazzell II and Braylon Staley looked to be limited during routes-on-air work.
Offensive tackle Lance Heard and wide receiver Bru McCoy continue to ramp up their activity while we are out there and look full-go. The roster has McCoy as 10 pounds heavier than last season, but he almost looks leaner. He is moving really well on his surgically repaired ankle.
Cornerback Jalen McMurray was back in practice for the first time that we’ve seen in camp and was in a red non-contact jersey.
Linebacker Arion Carter and running back Cameron Seldon also were in red jerseys.
Dylan Sampson was in uniform but looked to be a bystander for much of individual drills for the running backs. The Vols understandably will be careful with him between now and the season opener – bubble wrap might be prudent.
On the offensive line, Andrej Karic remains limited. He was moving around and was working on the side with a strength-and-conditioning assistant. John Campbell Jr. was going through drills normally at right tackle.
Heupel certainly was fired up. His hat backwards, he was demonstrably demanding of the officials who oversee practice to treat this practice like a game on Saturdays. Tennessee has a full officiating crew at every practice, and these guys got the message as one official was dropping a flag (presumably for offside) during a half-speed run-fit drill.
Based on what we saw, the first group of defensive backs through the drill had Jermod McCoy and Rickey Gibson III at cornerback, Boo Carter at Star and Will Brooks and Andre Turrentine as the safeties. The second group had McMurray and Jordan Matthews as the cornerback, Christian Harrison at Star, Jakobe Thomas at one safety and Christian Charles and John Slaughter bracketed at the other safety spot (Slaughter was shadowing Charles). That could be the pecking order on the back line right now.
Vols would like to see some of the other safeties behind Brooks make a move, if for no other reason than they could be called on if Brooks has to help at Star. We believe there’s a better chance he is the No. 2 there instead of Harrison. But the secondary still has some things to sort out.
On the defensive line, here’s the three groups of four we saw:

LEO James Pearce Jr., DT Omari Thomas, DT Bryson Eason and DE Dominic Bailey.
LEO Joshua Josephs, DT Omarr Norman-Lott, DT Elijah Simmons and DE Tyre West.
LEO Caleb Herring, DT Jaxson Moi, DT Daevin Hobbs and DE Jayson Jenkins.
Keenan Pili and Arion Carter were first up at linebacker. Jeremiah Telander, Jalen Smith and Edwin Spillman all got work with the second group.
Based on individual drills, the first group on the offensive line has the usual four – John Campbell Jr. at right tackle, Javontez Spraggins at right guard, Cooper Mays at center and Lance Heard at left tackle – with Jackson Lampley in at left guard.
p.brown

Cam Seldon was once again in a red noncontact jersey to begin the new week. Joining him in a red noncontact jersey today was Kaleb Webb, Arion Carter and Jalen McMurray. McMurray was taking part in individual for the first time in fall camp. He was wearing a brace on his right knee and his right leg was in a sleeve.
Receivers Mike Matthews and Dont’e Thornton were in full pads and going through drills, but were limited at times. During routes on air, the duo began at the break and did not run the full route. Jordan Burns was again an observer today. Offensive linemen Andrej Karic and John Campbell were in full pads but stretching off to the side and watching much of individual.
Chris Brazzell was in the stretching period, but was absent from individual work while the media was present. That is not believed to be a big deal.
The full pads were on, but it wasn’t a very physical practice while we were out there.
Lance Heard was a full participant.
There was one low throw from Nico Iamaleava that Squirrel White couldn’t dig out. Chaz Nimrod made a nice catch over the middle during the period. As did Holden Staes, who is looking more comfortable running in space.
One player who has started to show some signs of life is redshirt freshman Nathan Leacock. He drew some praise again on Wednesday from the staff at what is an already deep wide receiver position.
We discuss this a lot and it will be the theme of the day later on, but the defensive line is so experienced and so deep. There’s not a unit in the country with more capable bodies who will play in football games this fall than Tennessee.
Keenan Pili looks like a natural, obviously, as he has been practicing the basics at linebacker for about six seasons. The group will be deeper and more experienced this season with Pili leading the way.
e.cain

The first day of full pads led to more players wearing red non contact jerseys. On the offensive side that included Kaleb Webb and walk on receivers Tommy Winton III, Nathan Roberts and Dayton Sneed— whose younger brother Carson committed to Tennessee earlier this week.
Running back Cam Seldon remained in a red jersey as has been the case all fall camp while he works his way back from spring shoulder surgery. Freshman offensive lineman Jeremias Heard was working off to the side and not dressed out. Andrej Karic was dressed out but was also working off to the side. After working off to the side in the last couple practices, John Campbell was back to full go during the open portion of practice as the Vols offensive line did some sled work.
Tulane transfer Chris Brazzell Jr. did not go through routes on air. He was fully dressed out and near the rest of the receivers but didn’t do any reps while we were out there. On a more positive note, Mike Matthews was full dressed out for the first time this fall camp and did go through routes on air.
Bru McCoy, Squirrel White, Ethan Davis and Kaleb Webb were the pass catchers working with Iamaleava. The redshirt freshman quarterback missed one throw low to White but was effective over than that.
I was impressed with freshman Dylan Lewis who continues to intrigue me as much as any player on the roster.
Let’s start with injuries and the most notable development was that Arion Carter was in a red non contact jersey. He was full go during everything drill we saw so I doubt it is anything too serious but something that was nevertheless worth mentioning.
Jalen McMurray hasn’t been dressed out the last few practices and was in a red non contact jersey. He also had a brace on his right knee.
Freshman linebacker Jordan Burns was not dressed out and was working off to the side during the open portions of practice.
Caleb Herring continues to look good during fall camp as he’s added weight this offseason while seemingly not losing a step. I think I would pencil him in as the edge rusher opposite of James Pearce Jr. on Tennessee’s third down pass rush package.
r.schumpert

There were A LOT of new red jerseys. Cameron Seldon and Tommy Winton III remained in red. On offense, Dayton Sneed, Kaleb Webb and Nathan Roberts were in red jerseys. On defense, Arion Carter and Jalen McMurray were in red jerseys. McMurray had a brace on his right knee.
Andrej Karic and John Campbell Jr. sat out of warmups. Karic didn't go through much of anything in drills. He was standing to the side with no helmet. Campbell did some stuff but seemed limited.
Jordan Burns was to the side with no helmet. Was to the side and not active today.
Neither Mike Matthews nor Dont'e Thornton were in red no-contact jerseys
Chris Brazzell II was here but did not run any routes against air.
1st team receivers: X - Bru McCoy, Y - Squirrel White, Z - Kaleb Webb, H - Holden Staes
- 2nd team receivers: X - Nathan Leacock, Y - Chas Nimrod, Z - Trey Weary, H - Miles Kitselman
Nico Iamaleava looked good at quarterback. All but one throw was on the money. Ball slipped out of his hand as he dropped back. Had to regrip it and by the time he needed to make the throw he didn't have a solid grip on it. In game, I think he'd just tuck it and try to not lose yards at that point.
r.sylvia

66b37da8e8099.image.jpg

66b37d6f96bb1.image.jpg

66b37d640f2cc.image.jpg

Try harder Ryan. "The drill forced running backs to make quick cuts. I was impressed with freshman Dylan Peyton Lewis who continues to intrigue me as much as any player on the roster". Peyton Lewis is a real Dude.

Nice to read: Freshman Mike Matthews was back in full uniform and running routes for the first time that we’ve seen in camp

Before anyone ask: The first three portions of practice were open to the media meaning we were able to watch only approximately 15 minutes of practices. For the final few minutes most of the offense moved outside and we were not allowed to go outside so not a ton of offensive notes today— especially with the quarterbacks and receivers.

Last edited:
1. That 3 deep on the Dline looks really good.

2. I wish Sham would take that LG spot.

3. Unpopular opinion, but I think the LB room would look way better with Elijah Herring still in it.

4. Don’t think I knew they had refs at every practice. Have other staffs done that too?

Wow, look at the defensive line talent and depth!!
Right? This is insane...3rd string could start just about anywhere

Right? This is insane...3rd string could start just about anywhere

It seems like it has been forever since UT could roll out 6 quality DTs in the rotation. I love the way Heupel has stacked this roster.

1. That 3 deep on the Dline looks really good.

2. I wish Sham would take that LG spot.

3. Unpopular opinion, but I think the LB room would look way better with Elijah Herring still in it.

4. Don’t think I knew they had refs at every practice. Have other staffs done that too?
No, EH was too stiff and slow to play in space. He's a SDE.

You're right, was too slow to play outside and got exposed vs Missouri BUT he is ok as a two down inside middle LB
Dude was only a sophomore playing big boy football. Maybe he could have improved, maybe not. But I think that experience would have been great to have for depth. As it is, a couple injuries and things will be looking pretty grim at LB.

Dude was only a sophomore playing big boy football. Maybe he could have improved, maybe not. But I think that experience would have been great to have for depth. As it is, a couple injuries and things will be looking pretty grim at LB.
Pili and Carter will be the starters. Behind them the Vols Have Perry, Spillman, Telander, Smith, and Burns. Hopefully that group remains healthy. If my count is correct, then we only have 7 scholarship LBs.

VN Store

Back